Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how much I like this one, if the next one is even better, I'll .... I'll .......

o0pdnl.gif

I actually hope they have a lot to say about growing older and they can make it really good so it's not shit on like most anything that refers to age in rock n roll. That was Bono's goal to make rock 'n roll something that older generations can work with and compete with their best work (like in novels, painting, movies). The Rolling Stones didn't do it, though I think Bob Dylan certainly did. Most younger generations think U2 are in their dotage.

It's only 2 new songs Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom. The other two are an alternate The Troubles and a Sleep like a baby tonight Alternative Perspective Mix.

Curious about the "Alternative perspective mix". If that is literal, is it the song from the victims point of view? I really enjoy this song and if sung from the victims perspective, the lyrics would be completely different. I hope that is the case and it's not just a name for a remix

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Curious about the "Alternative perspective mix". If that is literal, is it the song from the victims point of view? I really enjoy this song and if sung from the victims perspective, the lyrics would be completely different. I hope that is the case and it's not just a name for a remix

We'll just have to find out in a month. I'm not entirely sold on this being a pedophile priest song but still within the Catholic vs. Protestant mold. I could be wrong.

We'll just have to find out in a month. I'm not entirely sold on this being a pedophile priest song but still within the Catholic vs. Protestant mold. I could be wrong.

Their music can be hard to pull a true meaning out of but I hear it as a "clean" priest(not a molester) who is just turning a blind eye to what he knows is going on and he just goes through the day eating his toast, drinking his tea and reading his paper as if nothing is wrong. He sleeps like a baby because his dreams are the only place he won't hear the "screams" and he is disconnected from reality.

Thats my take.

This album sounds brilliant in the car!

I initially only listened to it on headphones but the difference hearing it while driving is immense.

Need to have these songs on the radio!!

This album sounds brilliant in the car!

I initially only listened to it on headphones but the difference hearing it while driving is immense.

Need to have these songs on the radio!!

Spot on,the Glastonbury riff blasting out the left side of my car sounds awesome. I have my ipod sound setting to rock,I think that helps also. Adam and larry really shine through.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

So has u2valencia said anything about Siren? And what they were going on about for 3 months?

So has u2valencia said anything about Siren? And what they were going on about for 3 months?

Being that they were right about "Volcano", I suspect that Siren is a song that will be on the next album. It possible it was going to be included in SOI but they changed their minds at the last moment (unlike them, I know)

The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, California, Iris, Raised By Wolves and The Troubles are pretty good. The rest seems a bit too throwaway to at the moment. This may change.

Ok its official....i love it. Just finished todays listening.

It sounds so fresh. Now.

If im honest I was a bit of an abassador for NLOTH....i would play it for anyone who would listen. Frankly it was often met with indifference or even comments of 'boring' etc. It was an album that did not have a tractor beam.

If SOI were released by a band of 20
somethings....it would be this years 'only by night' 'hot fuss' 'the suburbs' etc.

I do believe this lp has a massive song....its track 2. SOI is their most balanced, well thought out 'concept' since actung baby.....

I only hope the apple stunt removes the age factor....this lp deserves the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In those album notes - Bono's letter - don't have access to it at the moment, but pretty sure he mentions either the Ramones or Joey Ramone as a 'siren'. Could just be a late name change to The Miracle.

Ok its official....i love it. Just finished todays listening.

It sounds so fresh. Now.

If im honest I was a bit of an abassador for NLOTH....i would play it for anyone who would listen. Frankly it was often met with indifference or even comments of 'boring' etc. It was an album that did not have a tractor beam.

If SOI were released by a band of 20
somethings....it would be this years 'only by night' 'hot fuss' 'the suburbs' etc.

I do believe this lp has a massive song....its track 2. SOI is their most balanced, well thought out 'concept' since actung baby.....

I only hope the apple stunt removes the age factor....this lp deserves the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I totally agree with pretty much everything you say here.
Each morning I get in the car and blast it on the way to work. I'm impressed each time. Some move up my list a little (Iris this morning) Some move down (SFS - eh)
But Every Breaking Wave should be pushed by U2/management to radio big time.
I just think people need to hear a slower - genuine emotion song from U2 again (ala With or Without You, One, etc...). They've gotten too many wannabe hit rockers lately. This could be a huge song, and then I say follow up with California.

EBW and California are one of my favorite 1-2 punches I've heard on a U2 album in a long time.

I was thinking about the 2-7 acoustic songs which will be released next month.

If you all remember a few months ago (not sure of the exact date) Edge made a comment about one of the things delaying the album was them trying to figure out how these songs would sound acoustically. Now it makes sense what he was talking about.

At the time I didn't quite understand why he would make a comment like this because through all of their years of recording, I'd never heard of U2 testing acoustical versions of songs prior to releasing an album.

Cons:
Not a huge fan of the slick, pop sound that they went for. If I want to listen to Maroon 5 (and I don’t), I’d listen to Maroon 5. Rather than charting new territory, they jumped on board with everyone else’s sound at the moment.

Edge’s solos are a little too repetitive and simplistic, if not copied from other songs.

Adam might be mixed a little too low on some of the songs.

Pros:
They picked a sound and stuck with it all the way through; even though I’m not big on it, they didn’t half-ass it and make a mess of the album.

Everything else Edge is doing: the riffs, the sounds, and I have to wonder if he’s done more back-up singing on this album than on any other.

B’s voice sounds great, and is paradoxically getting younger with each album they’ve released recently. And he doesn’t sound bored – he sounds invested in every song.

It feels cohesive and has a pretty nice flow to it, and the subject matter gives the album a more focused feel than past albums.

Overall, the band feels fresh and rejuvenated, and the energy never really peters out.

Why isn't the album being played here in Los Angeles? I hear the disc jockey's talking about its release and then they play the Lumineers for the 10th time in one day. There are some great songs that would sound amazing on the radio. Have they officially released a single yet? I don't get it....can somebody explain?:sad:

Why isn't the album being played here in Los Angeles? I hear the disc jockey's talking about its release and then they play the Lumineers for the 10th time in one day. There are some great songs that would sound amazing on the radio. Have they officially released a single yet? I don't get it....can somebody explain?:sad:

KROQ? I stream Live 105 (from SF) and they are owned by the same company, and they have the SAME playlist (go to their webpages and look at the playlist link). I think KROQ played U2 ONE time after they dropped their album. Radio sucks...totally a product of what big corporations want them to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom