song of the day 09/17: god part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up

Don't believe in excess
Success is to give
Don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in forced entry
Don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by
Wild thoughts escape
I don't believe in death row
Skid row or the gangs
Don't believe in the Uzi
It just went off in my hand
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in cocaine
Got a speed-ball in my head
I could cut and crack you open
Do you hear what I said
Don't believe them when they tell me
There ain't no cure
The rich stay healthy
The sick stay poor
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant karma's going to get him
If I don't get him first
Don't believe in rock 'n' roll
Can really change the world
As it spins in revolution
It spirals and turns
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight
I...I believe in love

I feel like I'm falling
Like I'm spinning on a wheel
It always stops beside a name
A presence I can feel
I...I believe in love

It always seemed like Achtung Baby came out of nowhere, but I think this was the bridge btwn Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby.

Oh, and I love the song!

one of my favourite's.. hope it does make this tour

He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight"

like that Bruce Cockburn ref..

Last edited:
I love this song. It's one of my favorites. So in your face. I love the contradictions in it and the truths found in some of the lyrics. On the downside, it always gets stuck in my head, so I don't really listen to it that often.

great song, very strong lyrics by Bono and the live version is just as good, if not better, than the original. I thought this was one of the gems on a very criticized R&H album. "Dont' believe in riches but you should see where I live" line is classic.

It was a great album, there were just too many mistakes littered all over it examples: (1) the live version of Pride shouldnt have been on it, and if so, why not a more energetic performance? It was so watered down to me. (2) Silver and Gold is a great tune but the speech at the end was unneccessary and he told Edge to play the blues, and the riff that proceeded was kind of the opposite (3) Didnt like the covers: Helter skelter should not have been included and AATWT was a cover that u2 performed brilliatly on the Lovetown tour. Have you heard the New Years Night concert in dublin version? Amazing, but the R&H version wasnt as good.

In the end, they should have just released all the new tunes and left off the live tracks and covers. I think it would have been received better by critics. I still love the album, my brother is a u2 fan, not as big as I am, and he still thinks R&H is his favorite.

Last edited:
RademR said:
(1) the live version of Pride shouldnt have been on it, and if so, why not a more energetic performance? It was so watered down to me.

You're going to have a hard time finding a better one, because that version of Pride is pretty representative of it being played live ...

Anyway, God Part II was AMAZING live, absolutely incredible. Shame it was only done 35 times. Quality song and one of my favourites from the best tour ever, Lovetown.

One of my favorite U2 songs ever!!!! I love Bono's raging vocals, the new record should be like that!!!! That’s true anger!!! One of his best lyrics too!! I think this song is one of U2’s greatest achievements! Rattle And Hum is one of my favorite U2 records ever! Perfect!

:bow:

sorry, never really got my juices flowing and it is way inferior to the great Heartland which precedes it...

brownda7 said:
Personally I think the remix of god part II on the b side of love comes to town is a better version.

Bingo. I totally agree. This is one of my favorite songs. I would give anything for them to play it live next year.

It is one of my favourite songs ever. There is something about those next to last songs on U2 albums that make them stand out for me (God Part II is the next to last studio track on R&H). Quite a dark song and as said before, a predecessor to Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom