Song Elimination Tournament, Finals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rock888nwo

War Child
results from the semifinals...

Where the Streets Have No Name defeats SBS 37-10

Bad defeats With Or Without You 26-21

Final Matchup

Where the Streets Have No Name vs. Bad

I will tally the votes in approx. 2 days...
Vote based on studio versions and live performances of the songs

This is tragically predictable. Nearly ever 'best U2 song' contest I've ever taken part in ends with streets and bad in the final.

Fine, I'll bite.

Streets.

namkcuR said:
This is tragically predictable. Nearly ever 'best U2 song' contest I've ever taken part in ends with streets and bad in the final.

Fine, I'll bite.

Streets.

It's normally Streets and One, actually, and One won the last.

This one's tough for me, the two best songs ever made - an epic masterpiece versus the zenith of minimalism. But, as my rankings of studio tracks are:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Bad

My vote goes to ... Bad. Because this is based on studio AND live, and Bad is simply a live masterpiece. Not even Streets, 26 December 1989, can touch something like Bad on RAH.

these two are great songs...but not the songs that I would have liked to be in the final...

My choice: close, but....BAD

i don't know if i even want to vote. both songs are amazing but i don't care for them as much as some other U2 songs and they're not the two songs i wanted in the finals.

but i might as well vote since i can....

streets

My vote: BAD

My daughter's vote: WTSHNN

Hein42.gif
Tough one!!! Don't know if either are my "faves", but just voting based on the choices I've been given...

Axver said:

It's normally Streets and One, actually, and One won the last.

This one's tough for me, the two best songs ever made - an epic masterpiece versus the zenith of minimalism. But, as my rankings of studio tracks are:

2. Bad

My vote goes to ... Bad. Because this is based on studio AND live, and Bad is simply a live masterpiece. Not even Streets, 26 December 1989, can touch something like Bad on RAH.

The two greatest songs ever made? Argue they're the two best U2 songs, go ahead, but you can't say they're the two best ever period.

namkcuR said:

The two greatest songs ever made? Argue they're the two best U2 songs, go ahead, but you can't say they're the two best ever period.

Can and will. Heck, I'll even give you the list of what I think are the eleven best songs ever made (that's as far as I've gotten). Though you'd probably laugh at me.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Can and will. Heck, I'll even give you the list of what I think are the eleven best songs ever made (that's as far as I've gotten). Though you'd probably laugh at me.

Go ahead.

Mine, in no particular order, could change:

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Kashmier - Led Zeppelin
Light My Fire - The Doors
One - U2
New Year's Day - U2
Bad - U2
WOWY - U2
Let It Be - Beatles
Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
A Day In The Life - Beatles
Yesterday - Beatles
Across The Universe - Beatles
Jealous Guy - John Lennon
Fade To Black - Metallica

namkcuR said:

Go ahead.

Mine, in no particular order, could change:

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Kashmier - Led Zeppelin
Light My Fire - The Doors
One - U2
New Year's Day - U2
Bad - U2
WOWY - U2
Let It Be - Beatles
Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
A Day In The Life - Beatles
Yesterday - Beatles
Across The Universe - Beatles
Jealous Guy - John Lennon
Fade To Black - Metallica

I must say I'm surprised that out of four U2 tracks, three are from the eighties.

Mine:

2. Bad
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. One Tree Hill
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Heartland
7. New Year's Day
8. Acrobat
9. Gone
10. Metropolis Part I - Dream Theater
11. Lazarus - Porcupine Tree

I'm currently trying to work out places for songs such as Gloria, Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, Crowded House's I Feel Possessed and When You Come, Split Enz's I Got You, Six Months In A Leaky Boat, and History Never Repeats, Porcupine Tree's The Sound Of Muzak, and so on.

Axver said:

I must say I'm surprised that out of four U2 tracks, three are from the eighties.

Mine:

2. Bad
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. One Tree Hill
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Heartland
7. New Year's Day
8. Acrobat
9. Gone
10. Metropolis Part I - Dream Theater
11. Lazarus - Porcupine Tree

I'm currently trying to work out places for songs such as Gloria, Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, Crowded House's I Feel Possessed and When You Come, Split Enz's I Got You, Six Months In A Leaky Boat, and History Never Repeats, Porcupine Tree's The Sound Of Muzak, and so on.

1.I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if you go around telling people that you think 8 of the top 10 songs of all time are by U2, you'll get laughed at. I'm not laughing, but others will be. I love those U2 songs as much as you do(except for COBL), but...well, you're not a big fan of traditional classic rock, are you? I rarely ever see you talk about Zeppelin or Doors or Floyd et al.

2.Aside from Crowded House, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone listed in your coda there :wink:

namkcuR said:
1.I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if you go around telling people that you think 8 of the top 10 songs of all time are by U2, you'll get laughed at. I'm not laughing, but others will be. I love those U2 songs as much as you do(except for COBL), but...well, you're not a big fan of traditional classic rock, are you? I rarely ever see you talk about Zeppelin or Doors or Floyd et al.

2.Aside from Crowded House, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone listed in your coda there :wink:

Mate, if people are laughing at me just because I think the nine best songs of all time are by U2, that's a dramatic improvement on what they'd normally be laughing at me over! :wink: When you know Pi to 350 decimal places or know the history of New Zealand's railways in intricate detail or can tell someone the exact set U2 played on 1987-04-04, being laughed at because of your Best Song rankings is rather tame! And I do really like the classic rock I've been exposed to, particularly Pink Floyd. But when I grew up, I was surrounded by stuff like U2, Queen, REM, Dire Straits, Talking Heads, The Shadows, anything involving the Finns, et cetera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom