Sometimes you can't make it on your own appreciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Perhaps someone has already done this but I just got the new U2 album for X-mas and I wanted to say that sometimes is my favorite song.

It's my favorite too, and I think we got a classic in the vein of WOWY and One with this one.

It does sound great live, and its already one of all time favorite U2 songs

even at this early stage i think this song dwarfs with or without you...it will definetelyy ber remembred as one of u2's best songs

What does overrated mean in this case? Where is this song being rated and who's giving it above and beyond what it deserves? I don't get this assessment of being overrated. I can see if it's being blasted in every radio station and every critic is lauding it as U2's best ever song, but I don't see any of that.

It will win the poll on here, but that's through voting. That cannot be the result of being overrated. I do like this song. When I first heard it, I thought the One comparisons were uncalled for. I felt One just had too much going for it. However, I have to admit that after about two months' worth of listening, I feel that SYCMIOYO is gaining credible ground.

• Lyrics: I think we can all agree, it's the track's strong point.
  • Emotion: We can also agree it hits home emotionally for people who have and don't have a great relationship with their dad (or someone similar in their life). In particular, for those of us who've lost or are losing our fathers.
  • Guitar: The chord progression fits snugly with the emotion of the song - Bm, E, D - hits it perfectly. The slide in the bridge matches Bono's vocals and emotion.
  • Vocals: Bono hits the tenor A (with plenty to spare) that his father would have been proud of.

a wonderful song, just wait for the live renditions ! remember it was after live performances that ONE & others really took on the status they have now- and Somnetimes will join them.

`A house don't make a home, don't leave me here alone'

Mike

this is a fantastic song, we must see most of all bono's soul in that song, bono is completely within the song, it is part of his life, he sings with the heart and the tears in his eyes.........and blood in his veins.......this is U2's greatest song

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is the best u2 track as for Edge's entrance in the middle of the song. HE JUST BLOWS BONO AND HIS VOICE AWAY!!!!sooooo goooooood:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

This song is so overrated. Many people think it's a classic, but after a few listens, it really isn't that great of a song. I really believe it will NOT be a hit on the radio. In fact, it won't get any airplay. I remember when Walk On became a single and thinking that this is the next great U2 song, the next "One." Guess what, Walk On was a bomb. It got no airplay, though it got Record of the Year at the Grammys, which is very rare for a song that wasn't a hit.

I still prefer Walk On over SYCMIOYO. I am still baffled why Walk On didn't became a hit. I don't believe SYCMIOYO will be a hit, unfortunately.
The album, in general, doesn't have any hit songs. U2 has to realize that their days of being a band that produces radio songs, is over. The last real U2 song that was a radio hit was One. Even Beautiful Day and Vertigo died down and didn't become big hits.

Back
Top Bottom