Something new on the horizon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats true but thinking from Paul's perspective a single would help milk extra money from a No Line On The Horizon tour. I bet the general public would think that "new single" is on NLOTH and mistakingly buy it :hmm: They can release another single around when they want to release the new album followed by a tour.

yep. and i really hope the band doesn't do this, but i wouldn't be shocked if there was a re-release of NLOTH with a couple bonus tracks on it (Every Breaking Wave, Kingdom Of Your Love, For Your Love, Thank You For The Day, etc...).

well, we got Native Son and Xanax and Wine last time around, so i'm still holding out hope.

well, we got Native Son and Xanax and Wine last time around, so i'm still holding out hope.

Yeah, but only through I-Tunes, and they have never done anything like that before.... Again, I hope you get your wish even though I am highly doubtful.

As a side note, I think it was a mistake to release the HTDAAB demos. They were mostly crap and they created a lot of online whining, where people insisted beyond all reason that they were better than what made it onto the album. I'm always shocked at the people who claim that Native Son was good enough to be released, let alone better than Vertigo. I suspect that it's simply the rarity that makes people value them so highly.....

But that's just my opinion. :reject:

Yeah, but only through I-Tunes, and they have never done anything like that before.... Again, I hope you get your wish even though I am highly doubtful.

As a side note, I think it was a mistake to release the HTDAAB demos. They were mostly crap and they created a lot of online whining, where people insisted beyond all reason that they were better than what made it onto the album. I'm always shocked at the people who claim that Native Son was good enough to be released, let alone better than Vertigo. I suspect that it's simply the rarity that makes people value them so highly.....

But that's just my opinion. :reject:

i agree with you there. a lot of people say they prefer Native Son to Vertigo, and i personally think it's just because Native Son is the alternate version. i've had this discussion before and got slammed for saying that, but i'm right. :wink:

i agree with you there. a lot of people say they prefer Native Son to Vertigo, and i personally think it's just because Native Son is the alternate version. i've had this discussion before and got slammed for saying that, but i'm right. :wink:

No, I think a lot of people prefer it because it feels like a more complete song, not just a gimmick single. Or at the very least, it was on the way to a more complete song.

I think a lot of people like the alternate versions (Xanax, ABOY, Native Son) because there's a hint in there of something that would/could have been quite striking and interesting for U2. Remember all the "four guys in a room" talk? Would've been cool if U2 had actually released a four-guys-in-a-room album without any bells and whistles. No myriad of layers, no souped up production, just put themselves front and centre. Those versions give a taste of it, and it sounds like it could have been very good, especially when compared with the too clinical, too slick versions that we ended up getting.

Also, I don't get, and never will get, people comparing alternate or long canned versions of songs with finished album versions directly. Whether it's Native Son or Xanax or Mercy or Winter - it's not apples and apples. The alternate/canned versions are nothing more than works in progress. OF COURSE you couldn't dump Native Son, or the Linear Winter, or whatever, on an album as is. You have to use a bit of imagination to fill the gap. Sometimes a lot of imagination. Native Son sounds like it's been mixed by a 2yr old. Linear Winter sounds like it's been edited by a 5yr old AND mixed by a 2yr old. They're obviously just the last, quick work-in-progress edits the songs had before they took on a new turn or were canned. None of the standard U2 layering upon layering upon layering is there, none of the editing or mixing finesse, and in most cases, clearly not all the songwriting/structural or lyrical work is likely close to a finish. OF COURSE the Vertigo we have sounds better than the Native Son we have. But could 'Native Son', that basic song with that rough structure/lyric/sound etc, have become a better song than the finished Vertigo? Those that say 'very likely yes' aren't crazy for thinking that.

i still think if we hear anything, it's going to be a DVD or remaster announcement.

And i don't think we'll see a new album until 2012 or 2013 when they're ready to tour it.

though i may be in the minority, but i would love for U2 to put more albums out if it meant they didn't tour as much.

No, I think a lot of people prefer it because it feels like a more complete song, not just a gimmick single. Or at the very least, it was on the way to a more complete song.

I think a lot of people like the alternate versions (Xanax, ABOY, Native Son) because there's a hint in there of something that would/could have been quite striking and interesting for U2. Remember all the "four guys in a room" talk? Would've been cool if U2 had actually released a four-guys-in-a-room album without any bells and whistles. No myriad of layers, no souped up production, just put themselves front and centre. Those versions give a taste of it, and it sounds like it could have been very good, especially when compared with the too clinical, too slick versions that we ended up getting.

Also, I don't get, and never will get, people comparing alternate or long canned versions of songs with finished album versions directly. Whether it's Native Son or Xanax or Mercy or Winter - it's not apples and apples. The alternate/canned versions are nothing more than works in progress. OF COURSE you couldn't dump Native Son, or the Linear Winter, or whatever, on an album as is. You have to use a bit of imagination to fill the gap. Sometimes a lot of imagination. Native Son sounds like it's been mixed by a 2yr old. Linear Winter sounds like it's been edited by a 5yr old AND mixed by a 2yr old. They're obviously just the last, quick work-in-progress edits the songs had before they took on a new turn or were canned. None of the standard U2 layering upon layering upon layering is there, none of the editing or mixing finesse, and in most cases, clearly not all the songwriting/structural or lyrical work is likely close to a finish. OF COURSE the Vertigo we have sounds better than the Native Son we have. But could 'Native Son', that basic song with that rough structure/lyric/sound etc, have become a better song than the finished Vertigo? Those that say 'very likely yes' aren't crazy for thinking that.

I respect your right to have an opinion I disagree 100% with! :wink:

I don't think theres a snowballs chance in Hell of U2 releasing a new album RIGHT AFTER, or even SOON AFTER, or even A YEAR AFTER the tour. It's U2. Come on, peeps! They only release something with a tour in mind. And going on another tour right after a tour has just ended? Not bloody likely. Unless...unlesss....UNLESS...all four of them don the Passengers mentality and just record music without thinking about all the other crap. If we don't get an album or EP before the tour commences, then we are screwwwwwed. And if we are indeed screwed out of an album or EP, then the safest bet would probably be a one-off single.

I don't think theres a snowballs chance in Hell of U2 releasing a new album RIGHT AFTER, or even SOON AFTER, or even A YEAR AFTER the tour. It's U2. Come on, peeps! They only release something with a tour in mind. And going on another tour right after a tour has just ended? Not bloody likely. Unless...unlesss....UNLESS...all four of them don the Passengers mentality and just record music without thinking about all the other crap. If we don't get an album or EP before the tour commences, then we are screwwwwwed. And if we are indeed screwed out of an album or EP, then the safest bet would probably be a one-off single.

For once we agree :wink:

Completely agree, Christmas sales season is tempting, but they're not going to release an album right after a tour bc the songs are meant to be played live (they take on another life, live is where we live, etc.). Mikal brought up an interesting point about an extended NLOTH though, haven't thought about that, sort of Lady GaGa like with The Fame, with a few new tracks to really pump life back into NLOTH and say we're back (just make SOA the 2nd part!!). Would also tie that up nicely and set the stage for the next album/tour a couple years from now, interesting! Plus you still have a DVD or remaster release to announce for 4Q this yr to get some sales. If we're right, I'm sure we'll get a call from U2 to hush up!!! Predict some news 3/22 or 3/29. :drool:

I do agree about U2 and the "the songs are meant to be played live (they take on another life, live is where we live, etc.)" argument. But what if the album isn't a meant to be played live group of songs. Like ozeeko said... the UNLESS factor... I'd love for that snowball to make it :wink: but I'm still hoping for the other snowball (the album before tour snowball) to be the one that does.

Actually I'd take either snowball at this point :sad:

Well, it's Friday and I've been checking torrent sites all day. If THISISANEWU2ALBUMOBVIOUSLYNOTAVIRUS.txt isn't SOA, we have a LIAR in our midst, and I don't mean Fake Edge.

It's at 0.000000001%, downloading at -0.5 kbps. There will be a status update on Friday, assuming my computer still runs after Moon Mercy blows it to cinders with its greatness.

EDIT: Trojan Horse is apparently a new version of Treason. Smart move on U2's part: the new title is far more promising.

I do agree about U2 and the "the songs are meant to be played live (they take on another life, live is where we live, etc.)" argument. But what if the album isn't a meant to be played live group of songs. Like ozeeko said... the UNLESS factor... I'd love for that snowball to make it :wink: but I'm still hoping for the other snowball (the album before tour snowball) to be the one that does.

Actually I'd take either snowball at this point :sad:

Would take any snowball at this point too, even yellow snow, a la a lemon snowball. :huh:

same informed source:
Tour DVD in May (multiple formats) - TBA soon on U2dotcom
New Single in June - No new album before fall 2010
AB remaster for september

What about that april 13-14 video shooting or concert in Holland rumor thats going on?

same informed source:
Tour DVD in May (multiple formats) - TBA soon on U2dotcom
New Single in June - No new album before fall 2010
AB remaster for september

I hope at the very least that this means NEW single as in NEW material and not a 4th NLOTH single.

this is the exact quote :

- 360 ° Tour DVD to be released on May 21st, in 4 different formats.

- A new song should be released as a single in June, No album before fall, at least.

- A remastered version of Achtung Baby will be released in September.

- U2 would project to rework some of their songs for an album on its own

no details about the single itself, nor if the DVD is the Passadena show, abslolutly no information about some rumored april gig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom