SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How bout naming the top 3 songs we are looking forward to hearing (based on the Twitter review and Q mag, and Bono interview) and the one song we are most worried about.

For me

Number 1 - Love is all we have left - Passengers-esque atmoshere. Yes Please!! And actually quite happy to hear about the auto-tuned vocals. We keep wanting something a bit different and out of the box from them, and then people freak out over this?? It's just a vocal effect.

Number 2 - Red Flag Day - Sounds like this is a standout track from a few of those that have heard the album

Number 3 - Summer of Love - The Twitter description again is a bit different than the last few descriptions we've gotten. First we heard, open, delicate, sparse... Then Bono said a beautiful song with a dark undercurrent, and then the reviewer said - Arctic Monkeys circa AM - clean guitar riff, catchy and will get the head bobbing...
So I'm ready for anything I guess...

One I'm worried about -

13!! - Not too plussed about it having some or all of the SFS chorus. The Twitter reviewer seemed to like this song a lot better, saying the verses were awesome, but I'm skeptical.

In the uk it was definitely around the vertigo tour stage where the badness settled in. Atyclb era u2 could do no wrong then bomb went down really well but it was during the tour when the wheels fell off.

Yeah, I pin it to the Apple ad and Vertigo tour. He was also annoying as he'll and holier than thou in many of the interviews he gave in that period, which didn't help.

Look, every band around this long has missteps. The Stones had Dirty Work and fights in the studio with Lillywhite, REM had everything around and during Monster, the Chili Peppers were loved, abhorred, and loved again in the same decade. The difference here is that it had little to do with music after Bomb up until NLOTH (even Pop was marred by planning more than music) and mostly about Bono's activities and activism. Thus, a lot of people's patience and even interest in the band had waned by the time a new album hit. The same vicious cycle appears to be happening now.

Last edited:
Bono is preachy and overexposed.

There will always be people who dislike that. Let's not put too much thought into it.

Yeah, this is really annoying for us cause we feel close to the band and this shit is just stupid. Bottom line - the cake is baked. Those that hated bono for the last decade or two will continue, and those that have loved them for however long will brush it off and not give a shit.

Sounds like a good idea.

Feel the same! Did you go through the link provided by u2.com or on the MTV site?

I've got my wife to go through MTV and I've done it through the u2 link

Unfortunately for me I saw the MTV news before I checked my emails and did one through them aswell. Hopefully they don't cancel my double application. But it did say the u2.com post was separate and if you didn't get picked for that you would automatically be put in the MTV one.

I've got my dad to enter aswell. Me and my dad look alike so I'd get away with taking his id

Yeah, this is really annoying for us cause we feel close to the band and this shit is just stupid. Bottom line - the cake is baked. Those that hated bono for the last decade or two will continue, and those that have loved them for however long will brush it off and not give a shit.

Sounds like a good idea.

Yes. Thank you.

Just preordered the extra deluxe through Amazon ($107 and change after tax). (Original price on announcement day at U2.com was $91.99 - wth? :angry:) Amoeba Records has it for $94.98 but I'm not sure how soon they ship and I want it on day 1.

That’s the one with the Vinyl, CD, poster and fake newspaper insert right?

I looked at that one and here is the thing:

The vinyl is $40
The CD is $15
So that’s $55

Is the poster and fake newspaper insert what is making it go to $100?? I mean I must be missing something right? $45 for a poster? You should get that hat and glasses he has been sporting for that price.

The vinyl is $40
The CD is $15
So that’s $55

Is the poster and fake newspaper insert what is making it go to $100?? I mean I must be missing something right? $45 for a poster? You should get that hat and glasses he has been sporting for that price.

True. Hopefully a little more info will come out before release day to substantiate the price. I think you can cancel on Amazon up to a day or 2 before...

I've got my wife to go through MTV and I've done it through the u2 link

Unfortunately for me I saw the MTV news before I checked my emails and did one through them aswell. Hopefully they don't cancel my double application. But it did say the u2.com post was separate and if you didn't get picked for that you would automatically be put in the MTV one.

I've got my dad to enter aswell. Me and my dad look alike so I'd get away with taking his id

Haha, that's good then!

Hope we both get lucky!

The vinyl is $40
The CD is $15
So that’s $55

I thought exactly the same. The box set here is £70 (£82 with postage)

The vinyl and deluxe cd together cost £40 so what am I getting for an extra 30-40 pound.

Not that I'm to bothered the missus has brought it me for xmas :)

What I am really excited about is reading song descriptions/album reviews in the coming weeks. So far the only one out is that person's twitter postings. As much I am itching to hear the album now, I hope it is not leaked before the release date. The SOI album drop on Apple was an exciting day but I actually prefer this method and the sense of anticipation in brings.

The vinyl is $40
The CD is $15
So that’s $55

45 $1 bananas :yes:

Last edited:
It's crazy to think that Bono would probably be less hated if he never engaged in any humanitarian efforts at all. Hypocrisy--at any length--certainly seems to bring about some of the most vitriolic feedback :0

It's crazy to think that Bono would probably be less hated if he never engaged in any humanitarian efforts at all. Hypocrisy--at any length--certainly seems to bring about some of the most vitriolic feedback :0

I don't think most people fully appreciate how much, hmm, cred? good will? Bono sacrificed in the Bomb-days of his strong campaigning, appearing with Bush and Oprah. He got a lot of money raised, got programs in place, got governments to dedicate spending to his causes - but the price he and the band paid was pretty high.

Coldplay's Chris Martin once said, likely influenced by U2, that a band need to keep its sense of mystery alive, I think it was one of his 'Rules' along with 'Don't give many interviews'. And I think that's one thing U2 always had going for them. The world watched what they did, and how they did it, and even with Bono never shy to talk, you got the feeling that the public still didn't know too much about the band themselves, and that it was that sense of mystery that kept them regarded as 'artists' first, and campaigners second. But when Bono went all-out campaigning and laid his motivations on the table, the public saw him less of a sometimes-annoying artist and more of an often-annoying politician. It opened him up to criticism outside of the band and their charity work, and went into 'why should I listen to that guy tell me how to spend my money? He doges taxes'.

But (red) and One and Data and all the Aid to African came from that era, and if enough of it did some good, hopefully it was worth it. Only now, it seems, U2 are building back up that good will, and most of it was from being quiet and concentrating on what people actually love about the band.

Just preordered the extra deluxe through Amazon ($107 and change after tax). (Original price on announcement day at U2.com was $91.99 - wth? :angry:) Amoeba Records has it for $94.98 but I'm not sure how soon they ship and I want it on day 1.

It's still $91.99 on u2.com.

EDIT: I forgot, shipping charges.

It's funny. At one time in rock & roll, being a violent, drug abusing, misogynistic creep wouldn't cause you to lose any fan support at all. In fact it was often a prerequisite for the job & image. As long as you weren't the dreaded "corporate sell out".

How times have changed. Now it's just considered smart, and necessary, to emphasise the business side of things, and what U2 is doing is considered by their fans, including me, to simply be smart business. And yeah, I frankly have no problem with what they're doing, I'd do it myself if I had that kind of bank. As it is I have an accountant that uses every loophole she can find so I have to pay the absolute least amount of tax as possible, and I feel great about it!

But on the other hand I don't spend a good deal of my free time lecturing people about such things, and I'm not a founder of an organisation that has specifically called out this kind of behaviour. So I do understand why people find all this to be a bit hypocritical. Just because Bono does a lot of good in the world (and he does) doesn't really negate the perceived hypocrisy.

Last edited:
What I am really excited about is reading song descriptions/album reviews in the coming weeks. So far the only one out is that person's twitter postings. As much I am itching to hear the album now, I hope it is not leaked before the release date. The SOI album drop on Apple was an exciting day but I actually prefer this method and the sense of anticipation in brings.

I love reading reviews from fans about the album. Granted, you don’t know if they like the same style of U2 songs as you but early fan reviews are fun. The SOI surprise made for an amazing (never to be topped?) U2 new music day but there is just something about patiently waiting for weeks/months and each passing day getting a little more excited about what’s to come with everything culminating with a countdown to mid-night on the day prior to release.

I remember watching the NLOTH songs download on my computer at about 11:55p ET and it was really cool(wow, if 1997 Cosmo read what I just wrote he would be like “New songs DOWNLOAD automatically to your computer while you are home??? What kind of wizardry goes on in the future” )

Leaks while tempting ruin the day or release excitement (obviously). Bombs leak was amazing and I caved and listened to all the songs and burnt a CD with all of them and played it non-stop but I was weaker then and I have more strength to withhold (Still haven’t caved to listen to American Soul)

I remember Dave Fanning playing Achtung Baby with my finger on the record button and my grin getting bigger and bigger.

If it has leaked, it would be in very small circles because it's definitely not out there.

If it has leaked, it would be in very small circles because it's definitely not out there.

Nah, its not leaked. KAT and Pirate Bay would have a thousand seeds going within an hour if it had leaked anywhere.

The Twitter person was 100% legit IMO. You just can't make up the kind of detail. And he seems like he is a pretty knowledgeable, responsible fan, that wasn't gonna be stupid enough to leak it.

It also would be a pretty good marketing ploy by the band to have a random person open a Twitter account and give a strong review of an album he was lucky enough to get in his possession... just sayin...

Anyway, I agree that i love the anticipation. But some days leading up are very frustrating when there's nothing at all new.
(I also remember taping Achtung Baby when they debuted it front to back on the radio. What a day. )

By the way, the Spanish girl said she'll leak the album of the death threats stop.

Back
Top Bottom