SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://twitter.com/SoE_nigma

He picked his top 3:

1. Red Flag Day
2. Summer of Love
3. Love is all we have left

Wonderful! Love is all we have left is the one I am most excited to hear actually! I think it's going to be a great buildup to the second song! Start the album atmospheric and mellow and bang, move to a rocker for the second song.

Well, I'm glad that these are none of the songs we've heard thus far! (even though I'm mostly on board with what's been released)

I agree. I like all 3 songs so far that have been released (haven't heard AS yet). The fact that non of them are in his top 3 is very cool. Granted he could have horrible taste in music and those songs could be like getting a giant banana up your ass but based on his descriptions and paste appreciate for SOI, I tend to feel I'm somewhat aligned to his views.

Getting very excited.

Unfortunately, early listens to the album fall upon people who lack the ability to describe. At one point, he even says that Edge has a "pretty good" guitar part on one of the songs. I'll definitely keep my ears open for that!

He said it didn't sound that great on this vinyl player. How much does one have to spend to get good sound out of a vinyl?

For a turntable alone? Entry level audiophile turntables start at approx $400US, but to get a decent one, you’ll need to spend triple that.

For an entry level audiophile amp with a decent phono stage, add another $400US, but double it for something decent.

For decent bookshelf speakers capable of doing the system justice, start around $600US.

All in, for a good system, $1500-$2500US will get you by. Anything less and it is barely worth your time (assuming your primary motivator for listening to vinyl is analog warmth, and the sound that is debatably “better” - I always just settle on the sound being “different” and people can choose what they think sounds better).

A lot of people have a lot of reasons for being into vinyl, and aesthetic, nostalgic, and traditional arguments are just as valid.
For people who don’t care about sound, you could spend $500US and be happy.

He said it didn't sound that great on this vinyl player. How much does one have to spend to get good sound out of a vinyl?

Not much at all. Speakers are the most important part, and you need good speakers for anything. There are really good deals at pawn shops. You can get a decent record player for $150. Receivers are also not expensive, and you can usually hook a record player up into the aux inputs of a mini system if that's what you use.

The cost of listening to vinyl is greatly overstated. The cost of buying new vinyl, however....

Last edited:
I'm assuming that there some old record players, if fixed properly, can play as good as new equipment. Storing the vinyl would be a problem for me. I think once people have 24bit sound as a minimum on digital files there will be no need for it.

I am getting tired of people recycling this Bono comment from 25+ years ago to describe how U2 'has failed' them now. Because even back then, they needed those pop kids. Bono might've made that remark but that was when Achtung Baby was already a big success and when the pop kids were still on board with them.
Just before Achtung Baby was released, Bono was a lot less secure about it all. He claimed to a Dutch music critic that, if the album would not turn out what they wanted it to be, U2 might be around much longer. And who knows what would've happened if it hadn't been a commercial success.

In the end, it's very easy to say you don't need the 'pop kids' when you're successful. Until the moment they also don't support you anymore, then it'll be time to reassess your position.
(Even Larry said in an interview some years ago that he didn't care much for all the acclaim U2 got, until all the criticism came during the Pop period. Then he realized he did value it after all. And that it felt good when respect was given for Beautiful Day and its success.)

In the end, U2 always needed/wanted the pop kids, even when they said they didn't.
Thanks for the condescension matey.
Perhaps read a comment before using it to pontificate?
My point was this record appears to be a conscious effort to produce short, catchy radio-friendly pop songs. And as I stated, that's fine. It's not what I'm wanting from them but I'm looking forward to the ride regardless.
Yes Bono's pop comment from ZooTV was as you describe. I suspect 99% of folk on this forum know that.
Regardless, Achtung was a massive risk. This feels the opposite.

Hope you're enjoying the songs popmartijn. For the most part I am.

Saw this earlier and was surprised that every comment in the comment section basically rips apart the writer of the arrival. I was expecting a decent mix of "yeah, screw U2" or " they haven't been good since XYZ album" but there was only contempt for the writer.

On a side note, I read a comment on an article about U2 recently where there was a back and fourth about how U2 is over rated and one dude said they peaked at October and everything else was crap. Thought that was a very....unique view on U2s discography.

Saw this earlier and was surprised that every comment in the comment section basically rips apart the writer of the arrival. I was expecting a decent mix of "yeah, screw U2" or " they haven't been good since XYZ album" but there was only contempt for the writer.

On a side note, I read a comment on an article about U2 recently where there was a back and fourth about how U2 is over rated and one dude said they peaked at October and everything else was crap. Thought that was a very....unique view on U2s discography.

I saw that! I was honestly expecting the typical u2 hatred you see on most comments on articles regarding U2. Lol at the guy who said everything after October was crap. Clearly he hasn't discovered UF, JT or AB I take it.

I have a cousin who truly believes U2 sucks after War. In his mind, they were a band in the early 80's that made 3 albums and peaked with the Red Rocks show, and then ceased to exist.

He seriously hates everything after.

Last edited:
Don’t have time for a lengthy reply. But so cool to see a real persons review of the songs and not a magazine as the first description you get.
This guy comes off like a pretty knowledgeable fan, and I gotta say I like what I’m reading.

The descriptions he gives with his top 3 are especially promising.
Having liked all 4 songs we’ve heard so far, ranging from a 6 to an 8 or so IMO, to think there could be a 9 or another few 8’s on the remainder of the album is awesome.

Love the sound of the opening song. Getting really excited. I’m also hoping for no leaks of the full album. It would really suck for the band and we’ll hear it soon enough.

More response at a later time.

Cheers!!

DN1JKYcXkAEoUUK

Last edited:
Don’t have time for a lengthy reply. But so cool to see a real persons review of the songs and not a magazine as the first description you get.
This guy comes off like a pretty knowledgeable fan, and I gotta say I like what I’m reading.

The descriptions he gives with his top 3 are especially promising.
Having liked all 4 songs we’ve heard so far, ranging from a 6 to an 8 or so IMO, to think there could be a 9 or another few 8’s on the remainder of the album is awesome.

Love the sound of the opening song. Getting really excited. I’m also hoping for no leaks of the full album. It would really suck for the band and we’ll hear it soon enough.

More response at a later time.

Cheers!!

DN1JKYcXkAEoUUK

Only 3 songs? I call it bullshit. But thanks for sharing

It’s funny how his top three includes Summer Of Love and Red Flag Day which were the songs that I said I am looking forward to hearing the most just based on the titles.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier. I’m really excited about these reviews. My only two disappointing parts are the guy not seeming too plussed on Landlady. I was thinking that one could be really cool. And 13. That it in fact based off SFS. Strike one. That the chorus is reused. Strike 2.
My biggest complaint about SFS is the chorus.
That said , it gives me some hope that he says the verses are incredible and it has a more meloncholy feel is hopefully its saving grace.

Back
Top Bottom