SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am one of the few here that really liked SFS. I get it's a simple arrangement but the lyrics are relatable and the chorus soars a bit and it's a beautiful song.

As far as "remake" on SOE......well, I wouldn't want it on the album proper because that's just weird. As a bonus track I would be okay with it but I'd rather have a new song.

Either way, I'm excited for the release and everything is just speculation at this point.
Same here. I've never had an ounce of problems with that song.

@U2's update doesn't mention SFS:

"Although Bono said earlier this year that SOE would have 12 tracks, the album proper has 13. The additional song, coincidentally, is titled '13 (There Is A Light).' That's a new song that Bono first mentioned in the current (December 2017) issue of Q magazine."

What exactly did the Q magazine feature say about "13" other than being the closing track? Anything?

Yet could it be that the messy unfocused 3mins+ of SFS on Songs Of Innocence is just like the 35 seconds tease of Saturday Night on Boy in that a half-baked idea on one album becomes a huge realised opus on the next*

*probably not. In fact a 100% likelihood of not.

As far as "remake" on SOE......well, I wouldn't want it on the album proper because that's just weird. As a bonus track I would be okay with it but I'd rather have a new song.

My thoughts as well. Could be an interesting way to tie the albums together a bit too, if it's pulled off alright.

@U2's update doesn't mention SFS:

"Although Bono said earlier this year that SOE would have 12 tracks, the album proper has 13. The additional song, coincidentally, is titled '13 (There Is A Light).' That's a new song that Bono first mentioned in the current (December 2017) issue of Q magazine."

What exactly did the Q magazine feature say about "13" other than being the closing track? Anything?

Thats the odd part. Q interview said -

“There is a Light” is addressed to Bono’s sons. This is the first time we’ve heard the title “There is a Light” and it sounds like it may be a new title for either “The Little Things That Give You Away” (previously identified as the closing track of the album) or “Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It’s Way” which was previously identified as a letter to Bono’s sons.

Strange because Love is Bigger AND Little Things are still on the album. So this is different. And is it really closing with 2 songs that are letters to his sons?

Mysterious... :shifty:

ok, its getting pretty exciting now.

If we look past just the surface of the names of the songs and actually think about what we know of each song. We can kind of get a feel of the flow of the album.

1) Love Is All We Have Left - From the Cat video, this may be a very delicate, atmospheric song, but knowing U2, and it being the opening track, probably builds to something much more full blown by the end.

2) Lights Of Home - The Haim sampled song. Described as Breathe-esque only pushed further. Should be a killer bass line and unique "throbbing" music/delivery, "gospel" type chorus with Haim

3) You're The Best Thing About Me - straight pop rock people

4) Get Out Of Your Own Way - Lil more rock than pop, catchy, - Beautiful Day-ish

5) American Soul - Kendrick doing the "cracked preacher" intro. Does anyone remember a style description for this one?? I'm thinking a bit rocking, but can't remember

6) Summer Of Love - Have heard sparse, beautiful, delicate, but also a dark undercurrent

7) Red Flag Day - Bo Diddley-via-The Clash - This was the description by the Q Journalist I believe and not Bono (thank god) Doesn't sound like my type of thing, but it was said to be a highlight in Q.

8) The Showman (Little More Better) - a Fifties Beatles-in-Hamburg type tune??? Not quite sure on this one. I do like some of the lyrics for sure. Anyone else have some more info on style???

9) The Little Things That Give You Away - Beautiful, personal, building rock ballad

10) Landlady - I believe atmospheric and brooding were used to describe this. Yes please!

11) The Blackout - Bad ass rock tune with Adam doing his thing.

12) Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Not sure about this one style wise. Anyone?? supposedly letter to his sons

13) 13 (There Is A Light) - The big mystery here. Another letter to the sons? A 40 style song from Psalm 13? A SFS redo???

I unfortunately couldn't find the Q article text, and I am can't remember much detail from the Flanagan interview.

If anyone can, please elaborate on the list above. thanks

Last edited:
So there's not a proper ballad until track 6? That's definitely a surprise. A welcome one, considering their recent output in that regard (save The Troubles).

Also, can we stop listing the track numbers with the vinyl side designations? It's 1-13, not count to 5 then reset, count to 4 then reset, etc.

1. LIAWHL
2. Lights of Home
3. Best Thing
4. Get Out
5. American Soul
6. Summer of Love
7. Red Flag Day
8. The Showman
9. Little Things
10. Landlady
11. The Blackout
12. Love is Bigger
13. 13

Last edited:
So there's not a proper ballad until track 6? That's definitely a surprise. A welcome one, considering their recent output in that regard (save The Troubles).

Also, can we stop listing the track numbers with the vinyl side designations? It's 1-13, not count to 5 then reset, count to 4 then reset, etc.

ah thank you! just renumbered.
I guess we don't really know if the opener is a ballad. But I lean to it being more atmospheric and interesting, and less straight ballad. And yes, you're right. A very welcome surprise.

I'm trying to remember what came out of some of those listening parties, but I believe they said something about the opening track having a really big build up. Sounds like a nice change up.

I'm trying to remember what came out of some of those listening parties, but I believe they said something about the opening track having a really big build up. Sounds like a nice change up.

Yeah, i think it could be pretty special as an opener. Just hoping the lyrics hold up. That first line is gonna be tough to pull off well. But i'm trying to be optimistic.

Also, the strangest dichotomy I'm seeing is from that Pittsburgh station that had someone describing a few of the songs from a listening party.
He said that Lights of Home was just sort of ok, and wasn't memorable.

Yet, from what we've heard since, it seems like it could be one of the most dynamic and interesting songs on the album... Very interested to hear this one.

Regarding titles, my issue is not the length, but the fact that they sound too bland.

Some of the older songs with long titles sound just fine because they have character. EBTTRT, WGRYWH, WTSHNN, UTEOTW - they all have character and are fine titles IMO, as they are not bland.

My issue with the SOE titles are that they mostly sound rather bland, samey, and lack character.

But yes, let's hear the songs first.

There is an exception however: The Showman (Little More Better) is a seriously terrible title. I don't care if I've not heard the song yet. This title is absolutely crap, and wants changing. Those brackets need to go.

Maybe your internal voice is bland? Try an accent and see if it works

Huh....

check this out. Over at diffuser.com, they have an article about the track list leaking.
For the 13th song, they don't have "13" (There is a Light)

They have - "(There Is a Light) Lanzamiento"
Lanzamiento = "Launching"

U2's 'Songs of Experience' Track List, Cover Reportedly Revealed

I dunno, what do you guys think? Typo? Maybe a name reported on a Spanish language site that they got it from?? Just strange...

Huh....

check this out. Over at diffuser.com, they have an article about the track list leaking.
For the 13th song, they don't have "13" (There is a Light)

They have - "(There Is a Light) Lanzamiento"
Lanzamiento = "Launching"

U2's 'Songs of Experience' Track List, Cover Reportedly Revealed

I dunno, what do you guys think? Typo? Maybe a name reported on a Spanish language site that they got it from?? Just strange...

I think they misinterpreted something from a U2Argentina post on the track list.

I wonder if the recent indictments in Trumpland, and the Weinstein, et. al. sexual harassment scandals will cause the band to pause and rethink the record.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Bono has ever been sexually harassed. He was woman of the year after all.

th

Hmmmmm.

Regarding titles, my issue is not the length, but the fact that they sound too bland.

Some of the older songs with long titles sound just fine because they have character. EBTTRT, WGRYWH, WTSHNN, UTEOTW - they all have character and are fine titles IMO, as they are not bland.

My issue with the SOE titles are that they mostly sound rather bland, samey, and lack character.

But yes, let's hear the songs first.

There is an exception however: The Showman (Little More Better) is a seriously terrible title. I don't care if I've not heard the song yet. This title is absolutely crap, and wants changing. Those brackets need to go.

So why partake in character assassination through the use of stupid acronyms?

Yet could it be that the messy unfocused 3mins+ of SFS on Songs Of Innocence is just like the 35 seconds tease of Saturday Night on Boy in that a half-baked idea on one album becomes a huge realised opus on the next*

*probably not. In fact a 100% likelihood of not.

this is probably the first and only time "Fire" will ever be described as a "huge realised opus" :wink:

Also, the strangest dichotomy I'm seeing is from that Pittsburgh station that had someone describing a few of the songs from a listening party.
He said that Lights of Home was just sort of ok, and wasn't memorable.

Yet, from what we've heard since, it seems like it could be one of the most dynamic and interesting songs on the album... Very interested to hear this one.

They played that song at the end of The Blackout video shoot. I did think that it sounded dynamic and interesting, certainly more than just sort of OK. Now, can I still remember everything from it? Nope, as we heard it only once, in a club-like environment, having just witnessed a video shoot with the band up close (plus hearing The Blackout for the first time, five times in a row).
Bottom line, Lights Of Home is a great song.

They played that song at the end of The Blackout video shoot. I did think that it sounded dynamic and interesting, certainly more than just sort of OK. Now, can I still remember everything from it? Nope, as we heard it only once, in a club-like environment, having just witnessed a video shoot with the band up close (plus hearing The Blackout for the first time, five times in a row).
Bottom line, Lights Of Home is a great song.

Cool! Thanks so much for the insight Popmartijn. Pretty incredible experience i'm sure.

Glad to here it wasn't blah and forgettable!

Part of me hopes they manage to miss the Day of the Dead because that would be, for my money, absolute Peak Late Career U2.

:drool::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom