SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn’t the WS be using Best Thing and Blackout a little more - at least once a game? Ya know, album promotion stuff? Thinking aloud.

Edge didn’t like the way the new songs sounded/flowed in the set.

Removed and to never play again

Because the out-of-the-blue SOI drop into everyone's phones, and consciousness, wasn't taken so well, they're now sort of gently warming up the masses for a new U2 album by getting their sound out there as much as they can, covering as many arenas as they can. Or literally stadiums, if the U2 songs in baseball are an indication. All without going for a U2 ice bucket approach.

Joshua Tree tour gets back some good will, a song for free that their followers like, a single release that can be played anywhere, and no one's thinking 'oh, not them again' when the album is announced. And when people listen to the album, everything on it, even the singles already out there, sound a little new.

Mostly, Apple's mess up wasn't taken so well.

It only looks like they're confused this album promo time around, or worse, their team has no idea how to push the album. Bring back McGuiness if Guy Oseary is behind this year's weak choices...

Step 1) play a new song in the middle of a tour promoted to a 30 year old album. Most no one cares.
Step 2) Put a new song out of Facebook....only to not promote it whatsover except a brief, if clever, eclipse themed letter campaign. Step in the right direction for a second.
Step 4) Make sure you play a new song next to well known songs off your biggest album in talk shows. Nope, not a good idea.
Step 3) Put out a pop song as a single that basically :shrug: Not sure why they think TBT is that much better than Blackout or The Little things but that's a 3rd bad lead single in a row. At this point they'd need a One-level classic to make people care about SOE.
Step 4) Make a video for a new single - which incidentally sounds like a better single than all 3 previous tunes but who's counting ? - only to...let nothing happen.
Step 5) Go back to the FB tune in a baseball ad.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t the WS be using Best Thing and Blackout a little more - at least once a game? Ya know, album promotion stuff? Thinking aloud.
The most important thing on this album cycle for U2, from a strictly business and marketing standpoint, is to remind people as to why they liked U2 in the first place.

The album could be phenomenal and nobody would care if the bad taste from SOI isn't wiped out first.

It only looks like they're confused this album promo time around, or worse, their team has no idea how to push the album. Bring back McGuiness if Guy Oseary is behind this year's weak choices...

Step 1) play a new song in the middle of a tour promoted to a 30 year old album. Most no one cares.
Step 2) Put a new song out of Facebook....only to not promote it whatsover except a brief, if clever, eclipse themed letter campaign. Step in the right direction for a second.
Step 4) Make sure you play a new song next to well known songs off your biggest album in talk shows. Nope, not a good idea.
Step 3) Put out a pop song as a single that basically :shrug: Not sure why they think TBT is that much better than Blackout or The Little things but that's a 3rd bad lead single in a row. At this point they'd need a One-level classic to make people care about SOE.
Step 4) Make a video for a new single - which incidentally sounds like a better single than all 3 previous tunes but who's counting ? - only to...let nothing happen.
[emoji90]

The most important thing on this album cycle for U2, from a strictly business and marketing standpoint, is to remind people as to why they liked U2 in the first place.

The album could be phenomenal and nobody would care if the bad taste from SOI isn't wiped out first.

This is probably true. That's kind of what 2017 has been about.

I think we'll get GOOYOW next week + album announcement. Either Wednesday or Friday.

Basically what headache said and I think they are doing a great job so far.

It's fun getting a little dose here and there and exciting to not know what's coming.

u2songs reporting that this is the Songs of Experience album cover, confirmed to retailers (obviously, without their watermark and logo)

SOEcover.jpg

Last edited:
Asking people to "go back and discover why they liked U2 in the first place", if that was indeed the purpose of the JT tour (and it wasn't), is sort of a mixed bag when it comes to promoting a new record.

To good part is, it reminds people U2 used to be great. The bad part is, it reminds people U2 used to be great.

Huh, I wonder if that blue border is a part of the actual artwork. But if the vinyl will be blue then maybe that's the color scheme they're going with.

I'll take it over more black and white!

What gets me is it was Apple's fault and they get off scot-free.

U2 sold Apple the distribution rights to the album and left it to them to promote/distribute as they have the technological nous supposedly.

If people had automatic download switched to on on their itunes, which I understand was the default setting, it downloaded the album.

But the world blamed the band and it's perception that matters in the end I suppose.

If it was any other band, people wouldn’t have been so pissed about the iTunes thing. The final nail in the decision coffin was to automatically add it to everyone’s library. Most of all though, the outcry (and the fact people are still going on about it today) is just symptomatic about the pathetic social media driven society we live in where everyone things we really need to know what they think about stuff that happens.

The whole new album while promoting a 30 year old one has obviously confused them and their management, but they do still seem to be over thinking things. The first time they played Little Things live, the album should have been up for preorder with that song on steaming media, then The Blackout gets added to stream, Best Thing gets added... then the album is released. Pretty standard album release approach right?

Good news is we’re hopefully only just over a month away from new Music, but it’s very strange how they seem to over-think everything!

What gets me is it was Apple's fault and they get off scot-free.

U2 sold Apple the distribution rights to the album and left it to them to promote/distribute as they have the technological nous supposedly.

If people had automatic download switched to on on their itunes, which I understand was the default setting, it downloaded the album.

But the world blamed the band and it's perception that matters in the end I suppose.
Well Apple has gotten away with putting the same product out for 10 years with minimal changes, and adds features that have been on other operating systems for years and claiming them to be new and ground breaking... so of course Apple will get by with minimal damage.

Alas, they did a free apple give away a few months earlier with Invisible. Nobody got it without going to get it. That this method changed shows intent, which makes it fairly obvious that the band and band management were well aware of what would happen.

If it was any other band, people wouldn’t have been so pissed about the iTunes thing. The final nail in the decision coffin was to automatically add it to everyone’s library. Most of all though, the outcry (and the fact people are still going on about it today) is just symptomatic about the pathetic social media driven society we live in where everyone things we really need to know what they think about stuff that happens.

The whole new album while promoting a 30 year old one has obviously confused them and their management, but they do still seem to be over thinking things. The first time they played Little Things live, the album should have been up for preorder with that song on steaming media, then The Blackout gets added to stream, Best Thing gets added... then the album is released. Pretty standard album release approach right?

Good news is we’re hopefully only just over a month away from new Music, but it’s very strange how they seem to over-think everything!
Couldn't disagree more on all counts.

Any aging band that would have misread the tea leaves this poorly would have been mocked.

And their marketing campaign right now is brilliant. People are forgetting about SOI and liking U2 again. It's old people, and that's fine. That they aren't making desperate pushes to reach "the kids" shows growth and an acceptance of reality that was lacking last time around.

Huh, I wonder if that blue border is a part of the actual artwork. But if the vinyl will be blue then maybe that's the color scheme they're going with.

I'll take it over more black and white!

U2songs says that the blue border is part of the cover as is the transition from light blue to dark blue from top to bottom.

Couldn't disagree more on all counts.

Any aging band that would have misread the tea leaves this poorly would have been mocked.

And their marketing campaign right now is brilliant. People are forgetting about SOI and liking U2 again. It's old people, and that's fine. That they aren't making desperate pushes to reach "the kids" shows growth and an acceptance of reality that was lacking last time around.

:up::up::up::up:

I thought the first step was admitting you have a problem.

Well Apple has gotten away with putting the same product out for 10 years with minimal changes, and adds features that have been on other operating systems for years and claiming them to be new and ground breaking... so of course Apple will get by with minimal damage.

Alas, they did a free apple give away a few months earlier with Invisible. Nobody got it without going to get it. That this method changed shows intent, which makes it fairly obvious that the band and band management were well aware of what would happen.
Ok I didn't know that. The band are bang to rights then!

Ok I didn't know that. The band are bang to rights then!

But then it was such a small deal. The hysteria over it was ridiculous. So fucking what if you got a free album! People were going on like Bono had shat through their letterboxes or something.

the pathetic social media driven society we live in where everyone things we really need to know what they think about stuff that happens.

!

Kinda like how U2 thought that everyone needed to have their album whether they wanted it or not?

I know we've been through this before, but it's still odd to have the "Innocence" album cover with the old guy on it and the "Experience" cover with two teenagers.

Something about irony, I guess. The 50 year-old looking back on his innocence, and this time around it's Bono's letters to his kids or whatever.

On a basic level it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to the casual listener. And it's also been pointed out before that several tracks on SOI aren't about innocence at all, but rather experience (EBW, The Troubles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom