SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone not from NZ/Australia please tell me why cunt is so offensive? Growing up it was on a par with crap and shit, but nowhere near as bad as fuck. I mean, I know it's a genitalia term, but so is dork and willy...

It’s probably one of the most insulting words you could call a women in the US and one of the worst non-racial words in general.

I don’t think it’s about being “offended” as much as it is considered a huge derogatory term, especially to women. I’m not a women, so I would let them speak to it but the context I have always heard the word used in is one of extreme insult.

It’s also a rarely used word here and not as common place as other personal insults, so perhaps that is why it’s considered worse.

Perhaps that’s just how it is interpreted here in the North East USA but if someone is downplaying how derogatory it is, then I would say a good test is when walking down the street and you see a group of women...stop and say “hey you bunch of cunts” and if you still have your testicles after 5 min, then it must just be me and continue to use it at your leisure.

Not to go off topic here but from what I gather there is a high likelihood that we will get a new song in a few weeks and that’s pretty cool. I thought I read that Edge said The Blackout is not a single, so it’s possible that we will here a 4th song from SOE.

Personally, I’m still enjoying TBT a lot, loved what I heard from The Blackout(very excited for the studio version) and I like Little Things. His album is shaping up quite nicely and I really hope they surprise al of us with a 13 or 14 song album.

Not to go off topic here but from what I gather there is a high likelihood that we will get a new song in a few weeks and that’s pretty cool. I thought I read that Edge said The Blackout is not a single, so it’s possible that we will here a 4th song from SOE.

Personally, I’m still enjoying TBT a lot, loved what I heard from The Blackout(very excited for the studio version) and I like Little Things. His album is shaping up quite nicely and I really hope they surprise al of us with a 13 or 14 song album.

I’m hoping for either a new song, or studio little things. I think the first half will be a bit more dynamic and engaging in the studio, and the payoff in the second half is masterful.

There is every chance this album is longer than 11 songs. They couldn’t choose between 16, so at worst I think we will get some bonus tracks with a deluxe edition

As it seems there are a few trans-atlantic language expert here, I am taking the opportunity to ask them one question....... which one is more offensive ? Cunt or Slut ?

here - something U2 related
https://www.goldenplec.com/u2s-joshua-tree-reimagined-for-lauralynn-childrens-hospice/

Not a single slang, derogatory or otherwise! And, a quote from Larry.. he speaks!

Tracklist

1. Gavin James Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Imelda May I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
3. Picture This With or Without You
4. All Tvvins Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Kodaline Running To Stand Still
6. Aine Cahill Red Hill Mining Town
7. The Academic In God’s Country
8. The Strypes Trip Through Your Wires
9. The Coronas One Tree Hill
10. Fangclub Exit
11. Lyra Mothers of the Disappeared
12. U2 EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACK – Red Hill Mining Town – Live from The Joshua Tree Tour 2017

will be cool to hear The Strypes doing TTYW

I'm curious to see if they play YTBTAM tomorrow night, they should, perhaps introduce a new 4th track this leg, not counting the Blackout, that's why I said 4th.

It’s probably one of the most insulting words you could call a women in the US and one of the worst non-racial words in general.

I don’t think it’s about being “offended” as much as it is considered a huge derogatory term, especially to women. I’m not a women, so I would let them speak to it but the context I have always heard the word used in is one of extreme insult.

It’s also a rarely used word here and not as common place as other personal insults, so perhaps that is why it’s considered worse.

Perhaps that’s just how it is interpreted here in the North East USA but if someone is downplaying how derogatory it is, then I would say a good test is when walking down the street and you see a group of women...stop and say “hey you bunch of cunts” and if you still have your testicles after 5 min, then it must just be me and continue to use it at your leisure.

I just want to second this. "Cunt" isn't a swear word or a naughty word, it's a slur on par with any of the racial slurs you can think of. I understand it's not that way in other English speaking countries, but please be aware that in some circles the term is highly offensive and evokes the threat of sexual violence depending on its context.

I would never use it in everyday speech. Anywhere.

I’m hoping for either a new song, or studio little things. I think the first half will be a bit more dynamic and engaging in the studio, and the payoff in the second half is masterful.

I like Little Things and during the Jimmy Kimmiel performance you could hear a bit of the background production likely used on the studio track and it sounded beautiful.

I’m very excited to hear the studio cut and have high expectations for it. I don’t know if they would release it as a single now/I’m a few weeks as it would likely catabolize spins on the same radio formats where TBT is thriving (Triple A and Hot AC and to a much lesser extent Alternative) but then again likely any song they release will be on those formats unless it’s a pure rock song.

I like Little Things and during the Jimmy Kimmiel performance you could hear a bit of the background production likely used on the studio track and it sounded beautiful.

I’m very excited to hear the studio cut and have high expectations for it. I don’t know if they would release it as a single now/I’m a few weeks as it would likely catabolize spins on the same radio formats where TBT is thriving (Triple A and Hot AC and to a much lesser extent Alternative) but then again likely any song they release will be on those formats unless it’s a pure rock song.

You mean cannibalize?

I just want to second this. "Cunt" isn't a swear word or a naughty word, it's a slur on par with any of the racial slurs you can think of. I understand it's not that way in other English speaking countries, but please be aware that in some circles the term is highly offensive and evokes the threat of sexual violence depending on its context.

I would never use it in everyday speech. Anywhere.

thanks a million Irvine, and Cosmo - that's exactly how i feel about it... maybe i got so angry in these threads because i'm a woman, i don't know... honestly, if some guy i didn't know called me that, i would be pretty horrified...

Irvine, it's definitely unacceptable in the UK also, except for banter between friends (probably mostly males, which maybe says something too), and, of course, in DH Lawrence's writings where the term is used sensitively and in its proper context

thanks a million Irvine, and Cosmo - that's exactly how i feel about it... maybe i got so angry in these threads because i'm a woman, i don't know... honestly, if some guy i didn't know called me that, i would be pretty horrified...

Irvine, it's definitely unacceptable in the UK also, except for banter between friends (probably mostly males, which maybe says something too), and, of course, in DH Lawrence's writings where the term is used sensitively and in its proper context

Definitely a big no no calling Someone a c u next Tuesday in the U.K. Highly offensive like you say apart from banter between friends . I think it's a Vile word myself

giphy.gif

Maybe U2 are watching this forum and they see some ppl hatin the original version and then go oh shiz some ppl dont like the song lets realease the kygo mix, then oh shiz some ppl dont like kygo lets realease accoustic version... oh shiz lets just release the original mix before they changed it 24 hours before it was realesed. :hmm:

20 negative opinions don’t matter.

What did an old Axver say to Smee? Can you repeat yourself...wait for it....I cun't hear you!!! Too soon??:laugh:

Seeing these versions of the song pop up is just like buying a cd single with a bunch of different versions and a remix or two. I think it’s much better they’re doing this than just releasing one version and leaving it at that.

Cunt is arguably the greatest curse word there is and only Americans put in on par with the N work, the K word, and so on.

Any term can evoke sexual violence, depending on its context. Cunt basically never does. Unless Americans use it differently from everyone else, which is highly likely.

Of course, it's not to be used in polite company though - it's a curse word! One of the few that's retained its power. Fuck still has some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom