So did U2 sell out with the iTunes ad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teta040 said:
Did ANYBODY read my 2nd post? It appears not.

I wouldn't sweat it friend, I think most of the "no they did NOT sell out folks" are merely using this thread to voice a universal opinion of the bands' biz practices, not to trash you personally.

tkramer, your post says it all for me. :up:

The way I see it, this is a U2 music video that plays EVERYWHERE. A brilliant move for them. A music video for the non-music channels and, besides, this is better than some of the music videos that they've done in the past.

I'll tell you all something that could of happened. U2 could of taken that $250 million from Chrysler(?) and we could of been watching a PT Crusier driving in a desert with Streets playing. They didn't take it. Smart move. Led Zeppelin took it from GM and now I have to hear Rock n' Roll while a cadilac spins around on my tv screen. Thats something I thought would NEVER happen.

This is a great U2 video! Love it!

OK, look... high ticket prices piss me off, but they're not a function of selling out. That's a function of supply and demand. Imagine how much more pissed off you'd be if tickets were $5, and some guy who just heard of U2 last week got tickets and you didn't because 40 million people were vying for each concert. At least when tickets are $150, you have to seriously reflect on how badly you want to go, and whatever decision you make, you know only the people who really want to be there forked out that kind of money. Ah, the beauty of economics :rolleyes:

...and I don't give band's credit for not doing what they could have done. Hell, U2 could have changed their names to "Pepsi Presents... U2!" and made a pretty penny. But they didn't. As Chris Rock says, "Whaddya want, a cookie?!"

Last edited:
I think ticket prices have to do with promoters and all kind of politics. Everyone is trying to make a good $$$$$. It is nearly impossible to have a world wide tour and charge $25-$50 a seat. I'll be content if U2 kept there prices the same as the Elevation tour. I'm really scared of the dreaded $200+ ticket.

Listen, at this point in the careers, U2 has EARNED the right to do something like an iTunes commercial. They have constantly stood apart from other musical acts in not liscensing their music away to whomever, and I am perfectly happy to see them take liberties at this poihnt.

You earned it guys.

Back
Top Bottom