Should Clayton Ever Get A Leading Man Role Before U2's Career Is Over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
Bono, as the lead singer, is usually the star. The Sometimes You Can't Make It video centers around him.

Edge starred in Numb and Elevation.

Mullen finally got his leading role with Electrical Storm.

After 25 years of U2 videos, the leading man role still continues to elude Clayton.

Whether it is Clayton's refusal to hog the spotlight or the band's lack of confidence in his acting skill and marketability, it doesn't matter.

The question here is not "why hasn't Clayton starred" but "do you want Clayton to star in a video before U2's career is over?"

I say yes, and I say he should star in "A Man And A Woman" if that would be released as a single.

What do you guys think? And while you're all at it, perhaps you can share your ideas and concepts on how Clayton will go about his starring role, and what it will be all about.

Cheers,

J

Hee, hee, I can't wait to see how all the ladies who love Adam answer this question! :wink:

I don't really have any ideas myself. I have the feeling Adam would never agree to it - he seems to like staying in the background. Then again, I used to think the same thing about Larry...

I think he should star if that would be appropriate for the video.

I can think of a number of responses I could make to that, especially in response to Adam starring in a video for 'A Man and A Woman', but i'll spare you all and save it for PLEBA :silent:

You know, I like Adam alot, but I don't really know if I want to see him star in a video. Maybe ten years back I might have said yes, but given how he has now, i'd find it a bit odd. I perceive him as the strong silence of the band, and the fact that he abstains from every capturing the limelight is all part of the mystery of him for me. He looks good in the background, and I think he recognises that.

Obviously, that's just my personal opinion.

I don't think he'd agree anyway - that quote from Bono springs to mind, when he was saying (i'm not sure of which video he was speaking) that Adam was getting to do what he enjoyed most in the video - absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Some people just don't like being the center of attention, being in the spotlight. Adam actually abhors making videos (his words), but he's willing to do them, accepts it as part of the deal nowadays. I've not heard too many stories of people who met Adam, who didn't come away saying what a down to earth low key guy he is.

I'm guessing the reason he hasn't been the leading man in a video, is because he didn't push for it, ask for it. Larry starred in the "Electrical Storm" video, had more on screen time than Bono.

Larry's famous for not wanting to be in the spotlight, I read he actually had a "closed set" for the "Electrical Storm," video, even his band mates were kept away or something like that.

Anytime it's just Adam in a scene, that's as close as they've gotten.

Like that part in the Discotheque video, where it's just Adam lying down, watching the spinning mirrorball. I like that part.

Hmm, how about, an Adam and Eve theme, for "A Man and a Woman" ooh that's good, puns are good.

Last edited:
Adam is rarely in videos. Just look at the new Sometimes video. Theres a number of clear shots of Edge and Larry but none of Adam. (I have been trying to screen capture the, literally, split second that he appears in focus in that video)

In band photographs hes usually in the back of the photo. Adam often has an expression on his face that perhaps indicates hes not enjoying having his photo taken. An expression not dissimilar to this smilie :grumpy:

I can't see him as the lead in a video. As an Adam fan I would love to see him star, and A Man and A Woman would be the perfect song as its so bassy and laidback. But I can't see it happening.

If he was interested I'm sure he would have had a bigger supplementary role in previous U2 videos.

PS I hope A Man and A Woman is released as a single and a video is made. That video would interest me more than any other song on the album. It's my favourite song and the one that I view as the most "Adam" on the album.

only if he brings back that blonde afro....man..I wish I could grow one of those

beli said:

PS I hope A Man and A Woman is released as a single and a video is made. That video would interest me more than any other song on the album. It's my favourite song and the one that I view as the most "Adam" on the album.

:up:

me too, that song just screams adam.

:drool:

dandy said:

:up:

me too, that song just screams adam.

:drool:

Hehe, perhaps that's also why Adam said it was also his favourite off the new album. (Or one of his faves, read this from a translated to English interview, so it's a little confusing, think it was his fave. )

Edge also really likes it, his fave or 2nd fave. (same interview).

Some people just don't like being the center of attention, being in the spotlight. Adam actually abhors making videos (his words), but he's willing to do them, accepts it as part of the deal nowadays. I've not heard too many stories of people who met Adam, who didn't come away saying what a down to earth low key guy he is.

I totally agree thrillme. I think Adam is happy being somewhat behind the scenes.

Yes jick, I think it would be a blast to have Adam out front for a video, for once. "Man and A Woman" is a perfect opportunity. The bass line in that song is just sublime. Sorry to diappoint, but I can't think of one video idea that isn't crappy.

I know we'll probably never get a video, but why can't Adam be more of a spokesman for U2? Bono can rest his voice, the other two can step in the background, and let Adam do the majority of interviews and such. Bah, it'll never fly. Everyone wants to talk to Bono.

jick said:
Bono, as the lead singer, is usually the star. The Sometimes You Can't Make It video centers around him.

Edge starred in Numb and Elevation.

Mullen finally got his leading role with Electrical Storm.

After 25 years of U2 videos, the leading man role still continues to elude Clayton.

Whether it is Clayton's refusal to hog the spotlight or the band's lack of confidence in his acting skill and marketability, it doesn't matter.

The question here is not "why hasn't Clayton starred" but "do you want Clayton to star in a video before U2's career is over?"

...Cheers,

J

Adam should have NO leading man role. A successful rock band needs to have all the attention on the lead singer and his sideman (Edge). Attention on any other band member outside of the lead singer and lead guitarist usually ends up destroying the band and their legacy as well as producing less then stellar artisitc results (e.g Genesis and Phil Collins). If people start focusing on the drummer, then it could lead the band into mediocrity alah Motley Crue (think Tommy Lee and all the attention he got which obviously ended the Crue as we know it). U2 would be wise to not tread this path by giving guys like Mullen and Clayton any screen time or leading man roles.

Of course U2 gave Larry some leading man screen time through the Electrical Storm music video. However we know what results from that kind of shit. Can you say pre-sale ticket fiasco?

But what can U2 do? :shrug:

Larry is intent on furthuring his acting career and being a major player in movies so he probably demanded that he get the lead role in the music video to up his resume. Larry also probably doesn't seem to see think his future will be long for U2 b/c of his acting plans. As a result, he could care less about breaking up the band.

Last edited:
joerags said:
Adam Clayton is the coolest guy in rock. Whenever he has a cigarette in his mouth, it's the coolest thing ever. He makes me want to take up smoking.:drool: :drool:

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but he said that was his last thing to give up.

For me the coolest is when he'll play a song with only one hand, doesn't fret with his left hand just has it to his side, and plucks/uses a pick with his right hand. :applaud: :up:

Lest anyone think this is some kind of positive, humorous post from J, I implore all of you to look a little deeper.

There have been many anti-Adam posts from J in the past. He has called Adam's playing lackluster, accused him of phoning it in, and other various swipes at his performances.

Also, unlike the band, J seems to have never forgiven AC for missing the concert on the ZooTV tour. This combined with the choice of Howie B (a habitual marijuana smoker) to co-produce POP has led J to call Adam Clayton a "druggie loser", and blames the two of them and the drugs for why the album is a misfire (his opinion). These are ideas that were posted by J to the Wire mailing list numerous times.

This thread is just a way to make another backhanded dig at Adam, done very subtlely so as to trick people who aren't onto J's game.

You did this on Wire, and now you do it here.

Leave Adam the FUCK alone. He is the rock and roll spirit of the band, and that one shot of him in the Discotheque video is worth 10 starring roles.

Troll.

laz

Lazarus,.,,,, You dont like Jick it seems, LOL :lol:

Anyway,, I dont think Adam is interested so nither am i

lazarus said:
Lest anyone think this is some kind of positive, humorous post from J, I implore all of you to look a little deeper.

There have been many anti-Adam posts from J in the past. He has called Adam's playing lackluster, accused him of phoning it in, and other various swipes at his performances.

Also, unlike the band, J seems to have never forgiven AC for missing the concert on the ZooTV tour. This combined with the choice of Howie B (a habitual marijuana smoker) to co-produce POP has led J to call Adam Clayton a "druggie loser", and blames the two of them and the drugs for why the album is a misfire (his opinion). These are ideas that were posted by J to the Wire mailing list numerous times.

This thread is just a way to make another backhanded dig at Adam, done very subtlely so as to trick people who aren't onto J's game.

Leave Adam the FUCK alone. He is the rock and roll spirit of the band, and that one shot of him in the Discotheque video is worth 10 starring roles.

Troll.

laz

Speaking of getting one's digs in.... :eyebrow: You're very good at it yourself, dear laz.

I imagine if Adam wanted a bigger role in videos he would have already had it.

Adam often has an expression on his face that perhaps indicates hes not enjoying having his photo taken. An expression not dissimilar to this smilie :grumpy:

beli, that really is the look he tends to give! Pretty funny.

im sure Clayton would get if he really wanted it......

but i do not think A man and a woman is a good choice for a video/single...... i think there are better 'single contenders' on the album.... Miracle Drug, COBL....

Adam would be a little out of place as the star of a COBL video

I don't think so, but it would be interesting.
Sure, Larry got his starring moment in Electrical storm (I'll never know how they convinced him) and Edge may have got it in The fly (more than usual anyway) and Elevation and Numb but it seems Adam is just comfortable behind the scenes.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Troll.

laz

I always do enjoy reading other people's various interpretations of my posts. But this one takes the cake. A simple query about whether he should take a lead role in a vid now has references to Clayton's missed gig, drug use, lackluster playing, and POP weed. You are one enjoyable fella. Why so few posts from you? I think you should post here more often, you make a great foil and a great villain to my generally positive thought-provoking posts.

Cheers,

J

He will star in a video as soon as they write a song about a man who always looks reasonably pissed off.

jick said:

I always do enjoy reading other people's various interpretations of my posts. But this one takes the cake. A simple query about whether he should take a lead role in a vid now has references to Clayton's missed gig, drug use, lackluster playing, and POP weed. You are one enjoyable fella. Why so few posts from you? I think you should post here more often, you make a great foil and a great villain to my generally positive thought-provoking posts.

Cheers,

J
Irony 101...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom