"Saints or sinners?" (Debate between two music journalists on U2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coudn't be bothered reading it all, but if its the same thing as the article on atu2 where people are bagging the band for ripping off fans with the remasters, people should lighten up.

Who gives a fuck if they re release the albums? They have been remastered, and if you think its a rip off, dont buy it!

The article I read says that there were hardcore fans that werent buying it because it wasn't worth it. Well im sorry, but to any real hardcore fans, hearing gems like Saturday Night, Speed of Life, Angels Too Tied To The Ground, and for those whoa actually have ears and can notce the difference on the remasters.

Anyone who calls themself a hardcore fan would not critisise the band for this, because they have the choice to not fucking buy it.

Coudn't be bothered reading it all, but if its the same thing as the article on atu2 where people are bagging the band for ripping off fans with the remasters, people should lighten up.

Who gives a fuck if they re release the albums? They have been remastered, and if you think its a rip off, dont buy it!

The article I read says that there were hardcore fans that werent buying it because it wasn't worth it. Well im sorry, but to any real hardcore fans, hearing gems like Saturday Night, Speed of Life, Angels Too Tied To The Ground, and for those whoa actually have ears and can notce the difference on the remasters.

Anyone who calls themself a hardcore fan would not critisise the band for this, because they have the choice to not fucking buy it.

No this isn't about that. It's two music critics debating U2. It probably would have taken you less time to peek at the article and see that than it did to write you post.
:wink:

Dana

That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing!

The critic of the band was an atheist. No wonder he doesn't feel the trancendant nature of the music, so why criticize those of us that do feel that mystic prescence?

Bono has said many times that the spiritual element in the music is there for those who want it, and shouldn't be for those who don't want it.

Happy clappy church music!:lol: That was funny. I did enjoy the barbs he threw out there.
Points well taken, but he didn't sway my love for them at all.

The last paragraph was great....

"There's a lot of U2 stuff we may never agree on. Where I get a thrill from the Big Music, you hear a charmless ballyhoo. My radar is veering towards the mystic, but you suspect a vacuum. My heart tells me that Bono is working to the dictates of his conscience, but you may suspect the disease of conceit.
Two thoughts to sign off with. Firstly, we probably wouldn't have the interest to sustain this argument about another such band. That's an indication of U2's cultural presence. Secondly, if we ever got to sit together with the band's collected works, we'd probably agree on a dozen songs that are incontestably great. We're one, but not the same."
[/I]

We're one, but we're not the same... Indeed!

The critic of the band was an atheist. No wonder he doesn't feel the trancendant nature of the music, so why criticize those of us that do feel that mystic prescence?

Bono has said many times that the spiritual element in the music is there for those who want it, and shouldn't be for those who don't want it.

Hm. I don't take what Bono said to mean that "if you don't believe in god, you won't "get" U2." ... which is what you seem to be saying with your first comment.

And if that's what you're saying, I very strongly disagree with that.

As do I. IF that is what the OP is saying.

I'm fairly certain I'm agnostic. If not a very doubtful atheist, and U2 is my favorite band of all time (they changed my life, so to speak). As a non-Religious (but mainly, non-Christian) fan, I can't help but applaud the band for pretty much going out of their way to not polarize their fans with excessive imagery and preaching. Does it occur? Yea, it does... but not too often. And I can deal with Bible imagery. I'm just glad they're not a Born Again Band that preaches and... well, I'll stop there.

I find in general that people who find Bono to be preachy are those who have been as Bono puts it "spiritualy abused". They are usually people who have been subjected to heavy handed evangelistic practices and are therefore very defensive whenever anything smacking of spirituality comes up. Some atheists and agnostics have no problem with Bono's spirituality because he doesn't ever try to tell you that you should believe what he does just that this is what he believes. Others feel threatened just by him stating his own beliefs and views. The atheist in this exchange strikes me as someone who feels threatened by or at the very least condescending of any type of spirituality and is therefore put off by U2. He has closed himself off and will not be swayed because he is not open to seeing beyond the spirituality. He also strikes me as being very anti-rock music in general. Just as many religious people can't see beyond Bono's occasional use of the f-word to the spirituality and belief at the core of his music.

Dana

Hm. I don't take what Bono said to mean that "if you don't believe in god, you won't "get" U2." ... which is what you seem to be saying with your first comment.

I think the OP was just saying that we should be free to enjoy the "mystical" part of U2's music and not be critized for doing that
as some people who seem to take offense to this part of U2's music sometimes do

U2 just offers the option to pick up the religious content (they don't ram it down your throat) but the songs still work if you do not connect with that part of their music
and that's cool

Once the guy brought up the tax issue, I stopped taking him seriously. Actually, it was before that, when he pegged the guy who wrote One as "preachy". He obviously does not have a proper grasp on the meaning of the word.

Although it is impossible to decipher the complicated meanings behind Elevation without a good knowledge of the scripture behind you!!!!:wink::wink:

Back
Top Bottom