"Saints" full video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nuala said:
I love the song but hate the video. I am really dissapointed that Green Day and U2 decided to turn a song designed to bring money in for musical instruments into a video that bashes the US Government. For me, the charity just lost all credibility.

Perhaps you haven't seen Edge's N.O. interview from a few months ago where he cries at the end. This is about a lot more than musical instruments. Anger is justified when so much neglect has been shown and promises broken. There have already been many ads for Music Rising of the nature you speak of. It's time to take them to the next level.

Please excuse my ignorance coz the whole rescue effort of New Orleans wasn't reported that widely here in Finland, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can remember seeing, it took the US government several days to responded to the emergency to send in any aid and even then it wasn't enough. The main help came from the local and neighbouring States emergency services and the coastal guards. And I see this video as a critique of the mis-management of the crisis.

U2Man said:

it looks more like a political ad for the democratic party than a promotion for music rising.

It might look that way to you because you haven't visited New Orleans post-Katrina and talked to the locals like U2 has. U2/GD are probably just conveying the anger of those who were and have been forgotten. It's nice to see.

Perhaps you haven't seen Edge's N.O. interview from a few months ago where he cries at the end. This is about a lot more than musical instruments. Anger is justified when so much neglect has been shown and promises broken. There have already been many ads for Music Rising of the nature you speak of. It's time to take them to the next level.

ntalwar, yes, I have seen that video and it moved me enormously. That is why I did donate to Music Rising and go to New Orleans and contribute. The idea of Music Rising is an awesome idea and I still think it is... it just shouldn't be turned into a political bash party. That is when it loses it credibility to me. I mean, it associates helping the people of New Orleans with dissing the US Government. Why did they have to tie the two together?

U2Man said:
i agree with kayla.

don't you think that the fighter jet scenes were a bit cheesy, regardless of the message the bands wanted to convey?

and if you are so much against war as bono & co here try to express, how can you call the world's deadliest military killer machines 'saints'? sounds a bit awkward to me.

I love how the action scenes, the military hardware flying in, are combined with "the saints are coming" chorus - to me it kind of captures a sense of irony re. the military presence in Iraq - the idea of "saving" the iraqi people from their dictator - so many "saintly" catch-phrases have been bandied around the media "liberation of Iraq" and so forth, so i think it works pretty well from that angle. I like it

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

It might look that way to you because you haven't visited New Orleans post-Katrina and talked to the locals like U2 has. U2/GD are probably just conveying the anger of those who were and have been forgotten. It's nice to see.

it's ok to be angry at a government and it's decisions, but i think that if you claim that something is a charity organization, you should refrain from political attacks in videos, ads, etc. otherwise it will lose it's credibility. don't you think this message will keep some republicans from donating?

U2Man said:

it's ok to be angry at a government and it's decisions, but i think that if you claim that something is a charity organization, you should refrain from political attacks in videos, ads, etc. otherwise it will lose it's credibility. don't you think this message will keep some republicans from donating?

I don't believe the video and song were meant to be an ad for Music Rising anyway - more like a donation to it. As I stated earlier, the standard charity ads and appeals have been running for several months now. I think controversy and anger can help generate more publicity than the images that have been run and rerun so many times so far. What's good about the video is that it has people talking.

I honestly don't think this is video is "attacking" the US Government directly. The whole point of the video is simply saying those people in New Orleans did NOT get the help and aid that should have been given to them. Not just because they're American citizens but because they are people. Human beings.

I think it gives out a very powerful message about what SHOULD have gone down with this disaster. Everyone knows that mistakes were made. But New Orleans is still in such a devistating state it's sickening. So much needs to be done still and not much is being done. People seem to have forgotten the fact that other people's lives have been turned upside-down and literally wrecked because of this. In this day and age it's unbelievable that something like this can go on for so long without more effort.

Phase II of Music Rising is focusing more on helping these people get their lives back together. They're donating to musicians and to schools and churches. ntalwar's right - it isn't just about the instruments anymore. And I don't think that's what it's only been about since the Foundation was founded a year ago. It's always been about the people.

the message in the video needs to be repeated over and over so we don't sweep what happened (and what should have happened) under the rug.

To U2 and Greenday, I thank you!

europop2005 said:
I think this is more of a green day video than a U2 video

Not to pick on you - I know I responded the same in PLEBA, but I figure it might make for more discussion. :)

But even if it was Green Day's initial idea, if U2 didn't like it, they wouldn't have done it. U2 was obviously willing to go with it.

i think it's great that the video is making a statement. I don't see it getting in the way of the charity. I think the tragedy in New Orleans shed light to the rest of the world and to the U.S. itself on the state of things. Of how you are trying to conquer the middle east, and that's a priority for your goverment, and deployinf relief for your own took quite sometime. It was unbelieveable to see U.S. citizens like that in the news.

And i like the fact as well that U2 did something a bit risky again. That video is not out of place with the U2 from the ZOO TV era.

Val said:
the message in the video needs to be repeated over and over so we don't sweep what happened (and what should have happened) under the rug.

To U2 and Greenday, I thank you!

Also, there are still people that need help down their in all aspects, we cant forget so something like this will never happen again.:(

corianderstem said:

Not to pick on you - I know I responded the same in PLEBA, but I figure it might make for more discussion. :)

But even if it was Green Day's initial idea, if U2 didn't like it, they wouldn't have done it. U2 was obviously willing to go with it.

no hard feelings...but i meant that in the sense that green day has a long history of bush bashing videos and ideals, and i felt like that was going to come out SOMETIME. I'm just going to forget this and wait till U2 get back to THEMSELVES.

JCOSTER said:

Also, there are still people that need help down their in all aspects, we cant forget so something like this will never happen again.:(

Well said!

Not sure if anyone else caught the "BBN" reference.
To me it stands for "Bush Broadcasting Network". We were in fact given (mis)information about large numbers of troops who had returned from Iraq to help out. So the second half of the video could have been Green Day's idea, as it maintains some of the themes from their last album such as propoganda.

I think the video is right in saying the authorities (be it N. Orleans mayor or the government) didn't do enough.
It should be said, the video should not be a happy/pretty "look the instruments are getting back" and pretend everything's fine.

It has nothing to do with political parties. :huh:

U2girl said:
I think the video is right in saying the authorities (be it N. Orleans mayor or the government) didn't do enough.
It should be said, the video should not be a happy/pretty "look the instruments are getting back" and pretend everything's fine.

It has nothing to do with political parties. :huh:

:up:

europop2005 said:

no hard feelings...but i meant that in the sense that green day has a long history of bush bashing videos and ideals, and i felt like that was going to come out SOMETIME. I'm just going to forget this and wait till U2 get back to THEMSELVES.
I believe the vast majority of Americans wants to love their President. Why don't they? There must be something to that.
And I also believe U2's past responses toward injustice has no borders... Africa, Sarajevo, America.
IMO, this video does show the real U2.
And again, I'm grateful to them.

ntalwar said:
To me it stands for "Bush Broadcasting Network". We were in fact given (mis)information about large numbers of troops who had returned from Iraq to help out. So the second half of the video could have been Green Day's idea, as it maintains some of the themes from their last album such as propoganda.

:ohmy:

Thanks God!!

I totally misunderstood that and reallly tought that was almost a US Army commercial...

ntalwar said:
Wow good call. I just love this video, it's so sarcastic, if this is the new direction U2 is heading for im in heaven! :drool:

europop2005 said:

first of all, this is the REAL U2!

Music Rising was Edge's idea, not U2's or Bono's idea.
We all know what he thinks about Bush, about Bono meeting with Bush etc.
This video could very well be his idea...

Somehow I kinda don't blame on U2 , particularly Bono on not goin against Mr Bu..

It's just like his Line "I would shake hands with the devil if that saved millions of lives " I agree with him on that , so If he should stay quiet by the whole thing Iraq war and so many other nice stuffs US gov did .............

Sure it would be awesome , I would love to see it like , in the Bullet the Blue Sky .... Screen , scenes of the US military power in scene .... "The Machine of Freedom and Democracy" in action and with the line :

' Able to exterminate a city in 40 minutes '

it couldn't fit better , but again if it was for a bigger cause

Bush himself didnt even go to New Oreleans until at least 5 days after the event happened. That shows you where the prioritys are, and unfortunatly not with just the republican party but also with the democratic party. The US government is broken and its been broken for many years.

Back
Top Bottom