"Saints" full video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think some of you don't get the point that the planes are not meant to be real but rather to signify that the US should have been more focused on the Hurricane damage than the useless Iraq war.

That's what I get anyway. I don't think they actually meant that planes should have dropped food and stuff.

Reptile347 said:
I think some of you don't get the point that the planes are not meant to be real but rather to signify that the US should have been more focused on the Hurricane damage than the useless Iraq war.

That's what I get anyway. I don't think they actually meant that planes should have dropped food and stuff.

Exactly !!!

Look at the end of the video, the advertising "Not as seen on Tv" .
It's a point of view of Bush's administration terrible decision.

There's no Oil in New Orleans.

It's about making a point.

I love the whole sarcasm "not as seen on tv". It sums it up, the US was more focused on their war instead of helping their own people.

That's why they used military planes, bombers and choppers. To point it out.

I wonder why some people here can't understand that.

pretty good

"Not as seen on TV" comment at the end of the video :up:

What reptile said, that was the point of the airplanes, a bit more important than whether or not they're "out of place CGI".
Wish they'd added Bono's live "I am an American!" verse.

schnumi said:
It's about making a point.

I love the whole sarcasm "not as seen on tv". It sums it up, the US was more focused on their war instead of helping their own people.

That's why they used military planes, bombers and choppers. To point it out.

I wonder why some people here can't understand that.

:up: the planes are merely symbolic of decisions/priorities.
Nice video.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
U2 didn't treat this administration with kid gloves... it's about time! Maybe Green Day is what we needed, who knew...
:yes: That's what I was thinking.

Who remembers the most recent Pop thread?

Particularly this bit:

dietcokeofevil said:
Talk about the idea of America. But let loose with some straight up attitude about it. Offend us. For God's sake offend us.

This video has a bit of bite. Green Day have grown good at having a bit of bite. This video is surely going to offend at least a few people.

:drool:

Yes. Too bad they didn't make it a year ago, when there was still time to save New Orleans. Now it's a shell and the diaspora may never come home. I hope it raises a lot of money for MR, I just worry it's too late to matter.

Wow that some pretty nifty FX, I was seriously wondering what the fck those fighters, helicopters and stealth bombers were doing, it looked real to me. I didnt realise till the end that it was fake so I must say it was impressing video with a great point.

Yes I was confused about the video as well and must say that I am afraid many people will misinterpret it, as you can clearly see from the You Tube comments. I think the sarcasm wasn't transported well enough during the whole video. I love the song and the message of the video but I am afraid it will stir up some controversy. The sign in the end is really great.

From reading this thread I think some people missed the "Not as seen on TV" sign at the end of it. Without that the video can get a bit confusing. It does give a really strong message

:up: thanks to post it. great video. this shows exactly the incompetence in support Gulf Coast at that time. I appreciate a lot all the signs...that people were forgotten...very very strong video...after all, we must go to Music Rising´s site and do our best to the Gulf Coast and region...

Last edited:
it really highlights the apalling way in which you americans handled that situation, in my opinion george w bush is a sick and evil person, who care only about money and the rich, he is a racist, redneck prick.

i agree with kayla.

don't you think that the fighter jet scenes were a bit cheesy, regardless of the message the bands wanted to convey?

and if you are so much against war as bono & co here try to express, how can you call the world's deadliest military killer machines 'saints'? sounds a bit awkward to me.

Last edited:
zepher25 said:
it really highlights the apalling way in which you americans handled that situation, in my opinion george w bush is a sick and evil person, who care only about money and the rich, he is a racist, redneck prick.

"you americans"? Don't lump us all together in fault for the Katrina response...most Americans were appalled by it.

As for your comments about GWB, while I certainly don't care for the man, I do not believe he's evil, just incompetant and arrogant.

Anyway, as for the video, I understand the message it was trying to send, but I thought it was a bit cheesy. They could have easily stuck with the real images and have had just as much of an impact.

I love the song but hate the video. I am really dissapointed that Green Day and U2 decided to turn a song designed to bring money in for musical instruments into a video that bashes the US Government. For me, the charity just lost all credibility. I loved the idea of Music Rising, I was on the field at the Superdome when they shot parts of that video!! I donated to Music Rising but if I had seen that video first I would not have donated at all. Not everyone likes to bash the US government. Katrina was a horrible NATURAL DISASTER. It wasn't like the government dropped a bomb and then didn't clean up fast enough!! It is not like the military has hundreds of warehouses with "'Terminator" like robots ready to go at a seconds notice! I won't get into how good a job they did or not, I wasn't there. I am just really surprised that Bono especially would compromise all the work he has done to be so diplomatic with both the left and right sides and then turn around and be in this video. I think he shot himself in the foot on this one. I would have really liked the video to show more upbeat footage, more on how the Music Rising Charity is HELPING the musicians of New Orleans. IMO this video was a very poor choice of venue to showcase Green Day and U2's political points of view. Seriously, where in that video does it promote Music Rising at all?????:shrug:

Nuala said:
IMO this video was a very poor choice of venue to showcase Green Day and U2's political points of view. Seriously, where in that video does it promote Music Rising at all?????:shrug:

U2Man said:

don't you think that the fighter jet scenes were a bit cheesy, regardless of the message the bands wanted to convey?

and if you are so much against war as bono & co here try to express, how can you call the world's deadliest military killer machines 'saints'? sounds a bit awkward to me.

Well, they certainly helped out after the tsunami.
I don't think the fighter jets were cheesy at all. How else would you represent the indecision and neglect - have an actor play Bush in the video? Those scenes of people stranded have already been played countless times on TV.

corianderstem said:

Deserves repeating. :|

Hey Zepher,

As one of the "Dirty Americans" you seem to despise, I must say that you act an awful lot like the stereotypical ignorant American when you classify an entire population under a single heading.

"Don't become a monster to defeat a monster."

ntalwar said:

Well, they certainly helped out after the tsunami.
I don't think the fighter jets were cheesy at all. How else would you represent the indecision and neglect - have an actor play Bush in the video? Those scenes of people stranded have already been played countless times on TV.

i'm just not sure i get why the focus is moved to the war in iraq. yes, it costs money, but the war was already being fought while the sad events in new orleans took place. it's not like bush could sit down and decide at this point whether to attack iraq or help the people of new orleans.

dietcokeofevil said:

It doesn't need a Music Rising logo. It's pretty obvious to anyone who's been half awake to current events what the song/video are for.

it looks more like a political ad for the democratic party than a promotion for music rising.

Back
Top Bottom