Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bad feelings about Crazy Tonight. I also have bad feelings about Unknown Caller (particularly with regards to the ATYCLB reference.) Who knows, though? :shrug: They could end up being decent songs.

Im not particulary excited about this descriptions. I didnt like beachclip nr 1 already. I hope they decide to put other songs on it than these two.

I have already said at least twice that I will give this song (Crazy Tonight) ample opportunity to impress me with it's substance and track location. If the descriptions of this song don't warrant some skepticism (when compared to the other tracks), I don't know what does. I know that some of you are very sensitive to "bashing", but frankly that's just not what I'm doing. I think there hasn't been much bashing in this thread overall, and I think those who are attempting to censor any even slightly negative speculation need to relax a little bit.

Well, you're not the only one in this thread. I was talking about everyone that is worrying and complainin about something that was not even heard. I'm not trying to censor, I just think it's a (like in the other thread :D) a pointless question. It is a matter of taste and in this case, preconception.
No one in this forum even heard the track and if will.I.am wasn't involved in it I doubt there would be this much talking about the track. I'm pretty sure that if I heard a description of TTTYATW before AB came out, it would look weird and maybe misplaced. I know we're just talking and having fun, but all this fuss about something that we haven't heard even once is too much. I'm not talking this only to you, by the way :D
Just my opinion, it's not like I'm not gonna post in here anymore because of it. After all, sometimes some comments makes me laugh :D

jesus, it's just song descriptions. People freak out here too much.

U2 isn't going to duet with Will.ia.m on a song. He is there to mix or do remixes, that's it. Quit worrying about it.

Maybe U2 are going after the young crowd because bands like Killers, Kings of Leon, etc have taken up a lot of the market right now. Who's the say that some of the hard rock songs (GYBO/Stand Up) aren't geared towards the young crowd.

Should just be happy we have some alternative descriptions of songs.

U2 are going to try and make the songs they want to hear. If a song is POP or GRUNGE who cares as long as it's good right? It doesn't sound like this will be HTDAAB where the songs are just all over the place.

Bono has mentioned a Dark/Light theme on this album, so the POP song probably has something to do with the LIGHTER side of the album.

And how come if a song sounds like it can fit in on JT its OK, but if it can fit in on ATYCLB it must be horrible? Either way its U2 repeating themselves.

We'll have some reviews coming out soon, professional and gossip; so we'll have a better idea.

No, your behavior -- even if it's polite -- is annoying.

Fair enough, I guess. How exactly is it annoying for me to express concern over a joyful, poppy song existing on the album? With the information I have available, this seems like it could be off-putting. Obviously, I haven't heard the album. How many more times do I need to be told to "wait until I hear the album" to discuss something about it? Isn't that why we have this entire forum?

There seem to be 2 types of people posting in this forum right now. Those who want to discuss their reactions to the news we are getting, and those that want to yell at people for doing precisely that.

jesus, it's just song descriptions. People freak out here too much.

U2 isn't going to duet with Will.ia.m on a song. He is there to mix or do remixes, that's it. Quit worrying about it.

Maybe U2 are going after the young crowd because bands like Killers, Kings of Leon, etc have taken up a lot of the market right now. Who's the say that some of the hard rock songs (GYBO/Stand Up) aren't geared towards the young crowd.

Should just be happy we have some alternative descriptions of songs.

U2 are going to try and make the songs they want to hear. If a song is POP or GRUNGE who cares as long as it's good right? It doesn't sound like this will be HTDAAB where the songs are just all over the place.

Bono has mentioned a Dark/Light theme on this album, so the POP song probably has something to do with the LIGHTER side of the album.

And how come if a song sounds like it can fit in on JT its OK, but if it can fit in on ATYCLB it must be horrible? Either way its U2 repeating themselves.

We'll have some reviews coming out soon, professional and gossip; so we'll have a better idea.

Thank you! i couldn't have said it better!

Pretty random, I'm almost positive the words mobile, phone or text will not be in the song at all. What you'll probably get is some 1st or 3rd person verses conveying a sense of frustration and confusion (like a lot of Floyd songs) and then the release of the chorus.

How can you be "almost positive" about the kind of lyrics we will "probably" get, when none of the descriptions we've received so far support what you're saying? :shrug: Don't tell me you have it all figured out based upon a poor-quality, months-old beach clip... All we know definitively is that The Edge claims it's a song about someone in an altered state receiving messages from his phone, and that some of these (cringe-worthy, IMO) messages feature in the song. I really don't think it's a stretch to feel a little apprehensive about it.

Hmm... okay, reading this Rolling Stone article has now really confused me..

First off...Where's "Breathe" or "Winter"?

For whatever reason, they arbitrarily picked those 10 tracks, no more, no less. Maybe that's all they heard.

Second...is "Stand Up" now called "Stand Up Comedy"?

Apparently. The descriptions are identical.

Thirdly...just which track is Will.I.Am producing? I thought it was "Crazy Tonight", but now it says "Magnificent"?

He produced Crazy Tonight, but remixed Magnificent. Huge difference there.

No, your behavior -- even if it's polite -- is annoying.

Why?

because his opinion differs from yours?

I agree that bram might be putting the carriage ahead of the horse with his descriptions, but hey...its not like we have anything else to over dissect and talk about. Its all in good fun of the discussion.

I have had many great discussions with him, though not always sharing the same opinion and I've been able to handle myself. Don't see why you can't :shrug:

Man, I wish they'd release the single already so everyone here would stop arguing over song descriptions and move on to at least bashing a song that can be heard ;).

Fair enough, I guess. How exactly is it annoying for me to express concern over a joyful, poppy song existing on the album?

Because you're expressing concern over a joyful, poppy song existing on the album without hearing it first. Besides, "joyful" and "poppy" are incredibly broad terms that encompass dozens of potential genres. I think it's ludicrous to hit the panic button over it.

All I can say is from this article is that Stand Up Comedy is a much better title than Stand Up.

Don't believe the song descriptions. Somebody described Miracle Drug as being heavy.

Because you're expressing concern over a joyful, poppy song existing on the album without hearing it first. Besides, "joyful" and "poppy" are incredibly broad terms that encompass dozens of potential genres. I think it's ludicrous to hit the panic button over it.

True, but how many U2 songs do YOU know of that can be described as "straight-up pop"?

Not to sound rude, but this is a discussion board....are we not here to discuss? If people want facts then they can go here:

Wikipedia (a bit of a stretch)

U2.com | U2.com

ah, this is so entertaining!
:applaud:

I think I'll just kick back and wait for Feb 27 to get an actual CD, listen the songs and then decide what i think about the songs....

There seem to be 2 types of people posting in this forum right now. Those who want to discuss their reactions to the news we are getting, and those that want to yell at people for doing precisely that.

Agreed. I would add that there's a third type, even; the type that will brush over positive responses to the news and focus in solely on the negative. I mentioned earlier, for instance, that Tripoli sounds like it's going to be interesting. No one jumped all over me for that, saying "Oh, but you've just read a description! You don't KNOW yet that it will be interesting! Stop being excited about that song and wait until you hear it!" No. It's just the apprehension that gets stomped on.

^To be quite frankly, the last few pages are people complainin and/or saying to other stop complain
To me it's fine to talk about the descriptions and what they evoke.
EDIT: My problem is that people are actually making a big fuss about something that was not even heard yet.

And by the way, I must say: Stand Up Comedy would be the WORST title ever for a U2 song. Stand Up is fine. It evokes a great song. IMO. At least, based on the lyrics that Q gave us, it would sound really weird.

Why?

because his opinion differs from yours?

I agree that bram might be putting the carriage ahead of the horse with his descriptions, but hey...its not like we have anything else to over dissect and talk about. Its all in good fun of the discussion.

I have had many great discussions with him, though not always sharing the same opinion and I've been able to handle myself. Don't see why you can't :shrug:

Thank you! :wink:

I've been almost unfailingly optimistic about the new album, and I think it's pretty healthy to express both hopes and concerns.

And you are absolutely right--what else do we have to talk about since we don't have any music? All we have are song descriptions, so we might as well hash it out. Descriptions can be anywhere from right on, to mildly misleading, to way off-base. But we can still discuss them. Anyway, I'm excited to see what else RS has up their sleeve.

Hmm... okay, reading this Rolling Stone article has now really confused me..

First off...Where's "Breathe" or "Winter"?
Second...is "Stand Up" now called "Stand Up Comedy"?
Thirdly...just which track is Will.I.Am producing? I thought it was "Crazy Tonight", but now it says "Magnificent"?

:hmm:

So are those the 12 songs that made the cut (with Tripoli added, as opposed to a mere mention in Q article). Maybe RS doesn't consider Breathe and Winter "key tracks".

Agreed. I would add that there's a third type, even; the type that will brush over positive responses to the news and focus in solely on the negative. I mentioned earlier, for instance, that Tripoli sounds like it's going to be interesting. No one jumped all over me for that, saying "Oh, but you've just read a description! You don't KNOW yet that it will be interesting! Stop being excited about that song and wait until you hear it!" No. It's just the apprehension that gets stomped on.

Look at it this way; who wants to hear negativity? We get enough of that on this board. It would refreshing for someone to actually be excited (yet level-headed) about a future U2 release. No exclamation points, no hyperbole. Just an acceptance that, ultimately, what will be will be, and that staying open-minded is the way to go.

So are those the 12 songs that made the cut (with Tripoli added, as opposed to a mere mention in Q article). Maybe RS doesn't consider Breathe and Winter "key tracks".

I think they didn't want to give away too much before their full article came out.

Pretty much everything they've released this decade. "Pop" is an umbrella term in the world of music.

I beg to differ... I mean if you want to equate Britney Spears, Usher, and Christina Aguilera to U2 then be my guest...but I think I know what the difference between "POP music" and a "POPULAR band" U2's music is not part of the former.

Thank you! :wink:

I've been almost unfailingly optimistic about the new album, and I think it's pretty healthy to express both hopes and concerns.

And you are absolutely right--what else do we have to talk about since we don't have any music? All we have are song descriptions, so we might as well hash it out. Descriptions can be anywhere from right on, to mildly misleading, to way off-base. But we can still discuss them. Anyway, I'm excited to see what else RS has up their sleeve.

Like I said...its not like there is anything to do. Its much more interesting to discuss this than anything else right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom