Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New York hip hop radio...."New isht...U2 featuring Will I am...its called Crazy Tonight...Lets go"....Boom Boom Boom... "yeah this is for all my crazy people out there" NO!

I tend to lurk around here, but this attitude really bothers me. Your prejudice toward this song/mix/remix/whatever is at best obnoxious, and at worst, vaguely racist. Listen to the song and then decide. Most fans would have raged if before the release of The Unforgettable Fire they were told that an atmospheric music guy was coproducing the record. When I first heard the title "Achtung Baby", I worried that maybe U2 was experimenting with bad 80's-esque dance music. The band and their colleagues know more about the craft of making music then most of us could ever dream to know. I, for one, am willing to cut them a little slack.

I'm very worried about this "straight up pop song" or whatever they're calling it....Crazy Tonight....verrry worried....

I'm also worried that those stupid lyrics "password enter here, you're free to go....." are not buried deeeep beneath some sort of music...that's the type of line that can ruin an otherwise great song by making you cringe every time you get to that part...

This album was shaping up to be a classic...but based off recent descriptions, I'm starting to wonder....not jumping to any immediate conclusion, I'm just very worried by some recent stuff :shrug:

The description just seems a little bizarre to me, that's all. And don't be so sure that the lyrics won't be literal. According to Q magazine, some of the "instructions" that are texted to the song's narrator include "reboot yourself" and "password, enter here."

I recognise that you can't place a lot of faith in song descriptions. They do, however, give you some idea of what to expect, so I don't think it's completely off-base to feel excited or worried about a song based upon how a reviewer has described it. Full judgement is, of course, reserved for the day of the album's release.

It sounds like a pretty staccato chorus of commands like reboot yourself. Rise up, you're free to go. The main part of the chorus seems to be

Pretty random, I'm almost positive the words mobile, phone or text will not be in the song at all. What you'll probably get is some 1st or 3rd person verses conveying a sense of frustration and confusion (like a lot of Floyd songs) and then the release of the chorus.

Bono is great at hyperbole when it comes to the meaning of songs, most of the time his meaning or description isn't readily clear from the actual lyrics.

I tend to lurk around here, but this attitude really bothers me. Your prejudice toward this song/mix/remix/whatever is at best obnoxious, and at worst, vaguely racist. Listen to the song and then decide. Most fans would have raged if before the release of The Unforgettable Fire they were told that an atmospheric music guy was coproducing the record. When I first heard the title "Achtung Baby", I worried that maybe U2 was experimenting with bad 80's-esque dance music. The band and their colleagues know more about the craft of making music then most of us could ever dream to know. I, for one, am willing to cut them a little slack.

Totally Agree

I'm very worried about this "straight up pop song" or whatever they're calling it....Crazy Tonight....verrry worried....

I'm also worried that those stupid lyrics "password enter here, you're free to go....." are not buried beneath some sort of music...that's the type of line that can ruin an otherwise great song by making you cringe every time you get to that part...

This album was shaping up to be a classic...but based off recent descriptions, I'm starting to wonder....not jumping to any immediate conclusion, I'm just very worried by some recent stuff :shrug:

I hear you. It's ok to be a little worried. But I hope you have some thick skin for the impending onslaught!

I am a huge fan of hip hop. I enjoy Gang Starr, Wu Tang, Boot Camp, A Tribe Called Quest among many others. Boderline racist shouldnt even be a notion...i just dont like crap music thats being passed as hip hop now adays and I dont want U2 associated with it...AT ALL.

Just give me a freakin U2 album..I dont want Will I Am, Kanye West or anyone else messing with it with remixes quadrouple mixes or any other mix you can think of. Give me Bono Larry The Ege Adam Eno and Lanois. The people that brought me the best of u2.

It sounds like a pretty staccato chorus of commands like reboot yourself. Rise up, you're free to go. The main part of the chorus seems to be

Pretty random, I'm almost positive the words mobile, phone or text will not be in the song at all. What you'll probably get is some 1st or 3rd person verses conveying a sense of frustration and confusion (like a lot of Floyd songs) and then the release of the chorus.

Bono is great at hyperbole when it comes to the meaning of songs, most of the time his meaning or description isn't readily clear from the actual lyrics.

Last sentence is right on. His descriptions are usually eyebrow raisers.

Moment of Surrender has a syncopated beat?

Syncopation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In music, syncopation includes a variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected in that they deviate from the strict succession of regularly spaced strong and weak beats in a meter (pulse). These include a stress on a normally unstressed beat or a rest where one would normally be stressed. "If a part of the measure that is usually unstressed is accented, the rhythm is considered to be syncopated."

I was just thinking about that. Maybe its kind of like ISHFWILF?

Crazy Tonight still doesn't really sound like it fits with the rest of the album. (And yes, I will wait until I actually hear the album to judge).

I'm not going to wait for the album...I can already tell I'm going to hate it :wink:

I see on another u2 related page that it says "Crazy Tonight" - Featuring Will I Am. Oh god, is this where "were going after the younger audience" comes in?!?! I hope he just produced/mixed it.

I will make a prediction that all of us (me included) who are cringing at the descriptions of this song are going to gush all over it upon first listen and hail William as a mix master.

Fits very well where though? As I said, there is a place for The Sweetest Thing, but I sure wouldn't want that song popping up just anywhere. Can you imagine Until the End of the World segueing into the Sweetest Thing? That's the type of concern I'm talking about.

And where are you seeing "joy" in the other song descriptions?

We might be a little bit ahead of ourselves...but I agree. Seems weird to have ONE song described as so different from the others. Could it stick out like a sore thumb? maybe? But, may I remind you that Achtung Baby did have Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World...very poppy sounding and it still fit. So who knows?

As said before: Y'all bitch waaaaay too much before you actually have a reason to bitch waaaaay too much :wink:

I'm also worried that those stupid lyrics "password enter here, you're free to go....." are not buried deeeep beneath some sort of music...that's the type of line that can ruin an otherwise great song by making you cringe every time you get to that part...

You really shouldn't worry so much. In the end it's just a record. Your worrying really worries me. :wink:

"I'm worried that people are not worrying enough"

- direct quote from my mother regarding just about all family issues.

(I figured it would be pertinent in this thread....also thought it would be funny to let you all in on the hell that is my life :wink: )

I am a huge fan of hip hop. I enjoy Gang Starr, Wu Tang, Boot Camp, A Tribe Called Quest among many others. Boderline racist shouldnt even be a notion...i just dont like crap music thats being passed as hip hop now adays and I dont want U2 associated with it...AT ALL.

Just give me a freakin U2 album..I dont want Will I Am, Kanye West or anyone else messing with it with remixes quadrouple mixes or any other mix you can think of. Give me Bono Larry The Ege Adam Eno and Lanois.

Your thoughts on The Wanderer?

You really shouldn't worry so much. In the end it's just a record. Your worrying really worries me. :wink:

I agree. All just because of ONE song you MIGHT (or might not) find displaced on the album? Based on a sentence in an article?

I don't know what's so irritating about that description. It doesn't even say Will.I.Am or anybody rapped on it. It just says it's a pop tune with a joyful tone. That isn't something awful, that's great! I'm sure in the end it will all fit together very well.

"I'm worried that people are not worrying enough"

- direct quote from my mother regarding just about all family issues.

(I figured it would be pertinent in this thread....also thought it would be funny to let you all in on the hell that is my life :wink: )

Is your mother worried about the latest U2 album?

Your thoughts on The Wanderer?

Not a fan.

Also, im not saying im worried about this album. I really just dont want to hear a r&b styled u2 song with Will I Am rapping on it and putting uh's and yeah's all over the place on the actual record. If its a dance remix you hear in the clubs im all for it.

I just hope i dont cringe if i see the tracklisting Crazy Tonight Featuring Will I Am. Which now I have a stronger feeling than ever that it will be.

As said before: Y'all bitch waaaaay too much before you actually have a reason to bitch waaaaay too much :wink:

I have already said at least twice that I will give this song (Crazy Tonight) ample opportunity to impress me with it's substance and track location. If the descriptions of this song don't warrant some skepticism (when compared to the other tracks), I don't know what does. I know that some of you are very sensitive to "bashing", but frankly that's just not what I'm doing. I think there hasn't been much bashing in this thread overall, and I think those who are attempting to censor any even slightly negative speculation need to relax a little bit.

On the first beach clip you can actually
The first part of chorus seems to be
Go! Shout it out! Rise up! then whoa-oh part

the first part of the second chorus from 1.43 on it's

Reboot yourself! You're free to go! then the whoa-oh part

So it it's not that bad.

I have already said at least twice that I will give this song (Crazy Tonight) ample opportunity to impress me with it's substance and track location. If the descriptions of this song don't warrant some skepticism (when compared to the other tracks), I don't know what does. I know that some of you are very sensitive to "bashing", but frankly that's just not what I'm doing. I think there hasn't been much bashing in this thread overall, and I think those who are attempting to censor any even slightly negative speculation need to relax a little bit.

No, your behavior -- even if it's polite -- is annoying.

Hmm... okay, reading this Rolling Stone article has now really confused me..

First off...Where's "Breathe" or "Winter"?
Second...is "Stand Up" now called "Stand Up Comedy"?
Thirdly...just which track is Will.I.Am producing? I thought it was "Crazy Tonight", but now it says "Magnificent"?

:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom