Robbie William's influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dudette

The Fly
Actually just thought, Robbie Williams has famously never managed to crack America so the majority might not understand this.

Anyway, recieved Rob's new album this morning, not sure why as it doesn't come out until Monday!

In the album sleeve there isssome fab great artwork, one including himself and behind outlines in white of his influences. Including Bono on the far right.

Listening to the tracks now and you can defintely see U2 lurking. Such as the line 'home is where the hurt is', woohoooo and chiillld vocals. Might be more...only listened to it twice.

This is not a negative post, I love Robbie! and find U2's influences great to spot in new and established artists.

:)

I've had this album (no comment on how) for two weeks.

Isn't ghosts amazing?

Robbie has said before that he is a U2 fan, his favorite album being achtung baby. He also saw them on Elevation in amsterdam.

Even the song 'do me now' a bisde of misunderstood , talks about how he thinks bono should be elevated.

A lot of stuff nods to U2.

Robbies biggest problem is his past. If you heard his music now, but knew nothing about Robbie Williams and waht that has meant in the past you would say he was fantastic. See a Robbie Show, and you would say it is fantastic, and rivals a U2 show.

But his past. Oasis/Drugs/Drink/Fatty Williams will always hold against him.

But i like Robbie, have seen him before, want to see him next summer, and the very best of luck to him.

Did that make sense

Oh by the way, Trippin is the worst song on the album, please don't judge it by that

I love robbie williams. Great music,
Also the new album is very good: A place to crash, Ghosts, Advertising place etc.

His first album was more influenced by Oasis, more britpop. Now it's more pop with here and there a rock song. I saw him 2 times, Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

He said that the new tour will be bigger than his last one. And he said this album is the best he's done (SPOKEN ABOUT BONO INFLUENCED).

Btw Miracle_drug, elevation was in Arnhem, Vertigo in Amsterdam.

I'm trying to like him after six years of despising him.
I'm going to give the new album a chance - i've heard good things. Dudette, did you see him on Jonathan Ross last night? I thought he was actually pretty good - very amusing :yes:

yeh thats the image he's trying to give across now. the boy next door thing... and hes' got the quick witedness to do it

beau2ifulday said:
I'm trying to like him after six years of despising him.
I'm going to give the new album a chance - i've heard good things. Dudette, did you see him on Jonathan Ross last night? I thought he was actually pretty good - very amusing :yes:

Ah sh*t I forgot! Isn't it repeated tonight or Sunday?

I have seen Robbie live at Live8 but would love to see him next Summer for a whole show.

Live at Berlin is on Channel4 tonight at :)35pm.

Dudette said:

Ah sh*t I forgot! Isn't it repeated tonight or Sunday?

I have seen Robbie live at Live8 but would love to see him next Summer for a whole show.

Live at Berlin is on Channel4 tonight at :)35pm.

Yes, I think it's either repeated in the early hours of Sunday or Monday.

I'll be watching Berlin tonight (and then Fashion Rocks) :up:

Also a bit depressing to find some U2 fans are actually Robin Williams fans, jesus at least the Yanks have some taste and can see what a talentless twa# he really is! Go on Robbie give us that cheeky grin.....NOBHEAD!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Also a bit depressing to find some U2 fans are actually Robin Williams fans, jesus at least the Yanks have some taste and can see what a talentless twa# he really is! Go on Robbie give us that cheeky grin.....NOBHEAD!:wink:

My God, I actually agree with rjhbonovox. :ohmy:

rjhbonovox said:

I actually don't mind Robbie Williams. I think he's got a great voice and has great stage prescence. The past is the past. Take That was a long time ago. You can't deny that he's a great performer. Sure he may not write the songs but that's 95% of the pop "artists" out there. I'd consider Robbie Williams a guilty pleasure. I like his voice.

I used to hate Robbie Williams with a passion, but SOMEHOW I grew to tolerate his music and secretly loved his Live8 show while fuming about having to leave afterwards because of bus problems, meaning I'd miss Pink Floyd. :angry:

But, yeah...to say the least, he takes a LONG while to get used to.

rjhbonovox said:
Nope he's still shite with a capital S!:wink:

Oh, crap. Sorry, does my opinion clash with yours? :ohmy: ooh dear, I'd better change my mind then hadn't I...?

Williams's success is a true travesty...he's like a bad novelty act you'd see in Butlins, yet somehow has achived huge success; I suppose when you see the sort of people who go to his "perfomances" and buy his albums it makes sense though.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Williams's success is a true travesty...he's like a bad novelty act you'd see in Butlins, yet somehow has achived huge success; I suppose when you see the sort of people who go to his "perfomances" and buy his albums it makes sense though.

Absolutely. I would have rather seen Gary Barlow have a succesful solo career cos at least he wrote the crappy Take That songs. But Blobby Williams he was just about to fade into obscurity when he got sooooooooooooo fuc#ing lucky to have a talented song writer in Guy Chambers to pen him "Angels" and wham he's the biggest thing since slice bread but oh my the guy is talented, he's got that cheeky grin ya know!

Someone said Robbie doesn't write his own songs. Were they reffering to his role in Take That, or his solo career, because I was under the impression that he wrote his own material now.

Last edited:
Cooper2000 said:
Someone said Robbie doesn't write his own songs. Were they reffering to his role in Take That, or his solo career, because I was under the impression that he wrote his own material now.

Well for many albums he "co-wrote" ;) the songs with one Guy Chambers..make of that what you will..

His latest album has songs without Guy Chambers, I heard. He can sing and perform.

Liam Gallagher is hardly a relevant critic; that guy will pick on anyone with more talent than him.

I don't love him -- Just like it.
And, definetely, you can hear some U2 influence there!

He's a nice guy. a little too crazy, but still nice

"Feel" and "Love supreme" are good songs.
And I like the falsetto of "Tripping" -- and the video.. Genious!!

gareth brown said:
I used to hate Robbie Williams with a passion, but SOMEHOW I grew to tolerate his music and secretly loved his Live8 show while fuming about having to leave afterwards because of bus problems, meaning I'd miss Pink Floyd. :angry:

You left before Floyd?? You're mad! I was willing to risk spending the night outside Waterloo Station. :wink: I can't see how anyone could have the willpower to leave before Pink Floyd and McCartney :shrug: :)

Oh and Robbie was one of the best acts there for sure.. it was incredible after it just had got dark and however many thousand people singing along to Angels ... :drool: :love:

Back
Top Bottom