Red Hill Mining Town Video !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to wait to watch the video on DVD, but this thread only makes me want to watch it more! :lol:

U2Girl1978 said:
It's a really cheesy video but damn I just love this song. :heart:

Top 10 favorite for me. :heart: What a great time to be a U2 fan that was.

Now all we can do is bitch about how much better things used to be. :slant:

Another hilarious thing I noticed:

Look at Larry around 2:27. He gives a halfhearted, passive attempt at wiping the sweat off his face, even though there clearly is no sweat on his face to begin with. I guess standing in one place and smacking a wall with a piece of metal for 2 minutes is hard work. :lol:

LemonMelon said:

Top 10 favorite for me. :heart: What a great time to be a U2 fan that was.

Now all we can do is bitch about how much better things used to be. :slant:

comments like this make me want to regurgitate....

ohhhhh wow....

:mad:

:rolleyes:

:yawn:

:scream:

:sick:

:blahblah:

:down:

:shame:

sorry for all the faces..but they are all accurate in describing my attitude right now......oh wow, all i can do is sigh

as for the video...it's decent, definitely not as bad as some of you think it is...not that great but certainly not their worst....i'm just happy it was released..

Last edited:
Was just being sarcastic. :wink: I have loved pretty much everything the band has done since The Unforgettable Fire, and there are plenty of great times ahead. Bono's voice is fantastic these days, and the band seems more interested in pushing their musical palette than they have been in a decade. :shrug:

However, that doesn't mean that everyone sees things the way I do. The negativity around here is staggering sometimes. I wouldn't say that anyone around here really hates the new video (what's to hate? :giggle: ), we're just pointing out its silliness is all. I think it's one of the most memorable new U2 videos I've seen in quite some time.

THis is THE BEST THING EVER!!!!!! :heart: I love how Larry still gets the shitwork, even in the mining town video :lol:

EDIT: OH MY GOD!!! Edge throwing the canary to freedom at the end of the video.....:lol: :lol: This really is one of the best presents U2 could have given us

Adam seemed a bit more gentle with the canaries than Edge.

Good thing they weren't budgies/parakeets, Edge and Adam wouldn't have been able to hold them that long...unless they were really tame.

Last edited:
My word, that video was full of win.

Kept me laughing all the way through!

Reminds me of the old "drug-dealing pedophile" UF video and the thread we had about it...

The coal mine idea wasn't all bad....just put ALL of the canary footage out. :no:
And that final shot was pure gold, stands up to anything Corbijn or the post 1990 directors did - and even the worst of those look better than this. I'm glad they chose ISHFWILF instead.

Edge looks like a member of the mafia with that hat. Larry is drumming as usual, Bono is looking good (why does he have to perform next to a bird in a cage?), and this is probably Adam's smallest role in a U2 video. (all the more memorable though!)

Wow, what a great collection of 80s cheese, no wonder they kept it locked away for so long. I can't believe this video has the name Neil Jordan attached to it. Anyway, the song is great.

One of the comments on Youtube explans the birds:

In the early days of mining, canaries were used to detect if there were any noxious gases in the mine shaft, especially in a coal mine. If the canaries died, it was time to try and get the hell out!

:hmm: I think U2 was going for something "arty" though.

I thought most people know that already, but it's just what Adam and Edge do with the birds that's particularly funny.

They're... saving them from the gas.
cryingeagle.gif

Wasn't the groups inability to perform the song live the ONLY reason why this video was shelved? Is Electrical Storm the only other group video that's not been played live?

I like how ALL the detractors don't give specific reasons why they do not like the video or even compare it to other u2 videos from that period.

What I find oddest about the video is that it looks like they spent 10 hours putting up the sets, camera track and lights, then spent only 30 minutes shooting the actual footage.

I actually think it's REALLY cool to see colour footage of u2 from this era. I actually appreciate the song a bit more after watching the video. I wish it showed u2 pretending to mine like the BECK video from Odeley.

u2fp

No spoken words said:
I'm the only person I know who likes the Unforgettable Fire video. I find it to be hypnotic, always have, but I acknowledge that it's not really a very good video. Eh.

You're not alone, I think it's in their top 5 videos.

Come on guys, it's actually painful to watch. It is completely different to WOWY, ISHFWILF or WTSHNN. There's just something really ridiculous about how Bono over-acts. It just looks so insincere how he's throwing himself around, hanging onto chains and staring so seriously into the camera. It puts a real Americanised gloss on a gritty horrible and dirty British mining industry. If ever a video needed to be black and white it was this one. The lighting and the set is just wrong. It looks like a bad set from Indiana Jones...

I think that because the vocals are so emotional and wrought, Bono shouldn't have been made to mime them to the camera. It is obvious that if he were ever to sing this song live he would have to really throw himself into it, but as a set piece it just doesn't work. They should have had more mining footage interspersed and not had the band mime IMO.

This video would have played into the hands of U2 detractors perfectly, it sums up in 5 minutes everything certain people hated the band for in the 80's. I'm amazed that Neil Jordon actually left this shoot satisfied...

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
Am i the only one that does not find the video funny!
i like it.
more bono the better!:drool:

No, I actually quite like it. It's a lot better than Stuck In a moment(US) Elevation, Vertigo and others

An Cat Gav said:
No, I actually quite like it. It's a lot better than Stuck In a moment(US) Elevation, Vertigo and others

Glad I'm not the only person saying that.

Funny to see the "anti-posing" people drooling over 90's videos.

I think the 80's fans bias is working here too.

U2FanPeter: it had a lot to do with it but it was also reportedly shelved because they did not like the video (it only appeared on MTV once, as legend has it). Not many non-single U2 songs have official videos. Yes, ES is possibly the only other single they haven't played live.

The thing that doesn't work for me is a) canaries and upon further watching, b) the uberacting from Bono (mining footage could be cut after the start too). It's over the top even for him, especially the chorus. Compare this to Streets, WOWY and I still haven't found... - the other videos from that era, and the only ones worth watching from the 80's - and it doesn't stack up. It's only marginally better from the pre-JT videos due to them getting someone to take care of their wardrobe, but in a way also weaker because they had a little more experience and could afford the money to make something better. Clearly they were capable of that, as other JT videos prove.

Luckily they turned to Corbijn, Godley, Akerlund, Joanou, Wenders etc... in later years.

that video is every reason why people hate u2 summed up in a nutshell, and thank god it wasn't released back then. now? it's funny for fans to look at, and no one else really cares. then, at the apex of their popularity? ugh... when people don't like you because they think you're pretentious and then you make the most pretentious video ever created, it's not a good combo.

Woooooooooooooow I don't even know where to begin...:ohmy::lol:

OK, Larry's the only one working, Edge and Adam are just kind of lurking in the background, and Bono is prancing around working up a real sweat. :scratch:

The canary releases...oh Lord. How cheesy.

The best part...when Larry wiped the "sweat" off his brow...

Now I really understand why they never released it, but man it's funny 20 years on to look at. Maybe if they had Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers bouncing around singing "Canary in a Coalmine" it would have been decent :shifty:

Galeongirl said:
doesn't anyone get why there are canaries in the video????? have you never had a history lesson? :eyebrow:

Er, I sincerely hope that most people have heard of mining canaries but you never know! But it doesn't stop them from being a ridiculous inclusion.

I think that the concept was to align freeing the canaries with freeing the miners of despicable working conditions and regular tragic deaths. But it just didn't work. At one point it looks like Bono is singing to one canary in a cage...

I wonder how much Jordon got paid?!

And just what the hell is Larry actually doing? I can't believe he agreed to do it (whatever the hell it is?)...

Axver said:

I have to wonder just how much of the reaction here is a result of having a built up expectation that this would be hilariously bad. The first thing I did in watching this was I put aside everything I'd previously heard about the video. It was a bit dull, and I honestly don't see what was so hilariously bad. So releasing the birds was a bit cheesy. There are heaps of moments even more cheesy in widely popular U2 videos.

And let's be honest, this video is a masterpiece compared to some of U2's recent videos. Stuck (US version) and Elevation are just choking in RHMT's dust.

Axver, everything you've said in this thread is pure gold. :up:

As I said before, the general idea is kind of lame, but it's really not awful. Do people really think that the video for ISHFWILF is that much better? "Let's walk down the streets of Vegas singing a gospel song and smile at people!"

For those who think that Bono's "overacting" in this, have you seen him perform live in that era at all? Did you see Bad in the R&H movie? Why is it overacting when it's in front of a camera, but it's a great performance when it's live? :scratch:

Yeah, the video's a little corny, but jeez...it's not that bad. :rolleyes:

Utoo said:

For those who think that Bono's "overacting" in this, have you seen him perform live in that era at all? Did you see Bad in the R&H movie? Why is it overacting when it's in front of a camera, but it's a great performance when it's live? :scratch:

Yeah, the video's a little corny, but jeez...it's not that bad. :rolleyes:

Probably because he's looking in the camera and it looks false. It looks like it's Take 14 and he's hamming it up for the camera. R&H looks real, the heat of the performance, and all that.

ISHFWILF is a light-hearted video, it's doesn't take itself that seriously. It looks like the band are having fun.
This video just looks like hard work, especially for Bono and Larry (the 2 good looking ones)...

Back
Top Bottom