Rate Vertigo now !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo

you know.. I am on such an emotional high right now from hearing this song.. not just from the anticipation (that's a good part of it) but mostly because it freakin' lives UP to the anticipation and totally rocks! I am totally surprised!

I love it.. I cannot remember the last time I loved a first single this much..

I have to go back to when I heard Pride the first time to find a first single that hit me like this..

9 out of 10! great work guys!

Awesome song......great sound, fuc# me there hasn't been song to get me feeling like this in a verrrrrrrrrrrrry long time. Blows Beautiful Day outta the water. Worth the wait I would say, I just hope the album can live up to this. I love the turn it up captain bit at the start. This is a massive U2 song, that the radio will love and will probably win them even more fans(is that possible?) Is this the album version? I would have thought so.

9/10... it just needs a little time to grow... but I'm sure I'll look back at this post someday and think 'I GAVE IT A 9??? WHAT THE :censored: WAS I THINKING??'

Ah well. Such is life. :D

i'm loving this song!
if i had to rate it i would probably give it a 9, maybe more i dunno.
its really too early and too hard to tell, the first few time i heard beautiful day, i was like, yeah, thats alright, dunno about the intro etc etc. now it is without question one of my favourites.

this on the other hand, i LOVE straight off the cuff, there is no doubt it is totally kick ass which is something i never thought immediately about any ATYCLB, and i really like that album.

whether it'll get the same emotional reaction as some of my favourites - streets WOWY stay, BD - i will have to wait and see!

but for now its gets a 9... no wait, i just listened another 4 times in a row, make that a 9.413 :wink:

9/10. I love it, but I agree with the person who mentioned the use of power chords earlier. IMO, Edge sounds better doing stuff that's more intricate and melodic.

A few thoughts...

The song is nice and tight....it doesn't linger too long and it dols your attention for its entire duration.

Its packed with hooks.

Vertigo rocks in a natural way, no stiffness or "forced" feel is evident here!

Very well produced, the guitars, drums, vocals and bass are all clear..if this song is an indicaiton the album will pack a hefty sonic punch!

My last observation is that there is a sense of playfulness here, an energy, the band do not sound bored or that they are phoning in their performances.this in turn makes Vertio fun to listen to.

Right now, I rate this at about a 9.

:)

I give it a 7.5/10. It could go up b/c I have new U2 bias - negative and positive...

My likes are the riffs, the pace of the song, the music, the vocals, production, the energy...

My problems... the lyrics, length of the song - so short, the hype (LOL thats no fault of the song, but the hype for this coming album is huge for me and clouds my vision),... other bands, I'm constantly comparing...

But its catchy and I like it... I hope for even better things from U2. I hope Vertigo is the tip of the iceberg for some great music... sort of like Zoo Station (I never heard the Fly single) b/c Zoo Station is sort of that revelatory U2 song for for me...

One thing I don't understand is how people dismiss ABOY (albeit its a poor sounding copy) and embrace Vertigo, when Vertigo just seems to have the same energy/ style...

Last edited:
9/10. Drops a point because of the lyrics, but i think that's the sacrifice you make when you are making a song like this that probably grew out of an Edge riff. Nonetheless i think the song is all about "the feeling", U2 saying yeah, we are in our mid-forties but can still RAWK. I'm just hoping this doesn't feel way out of place with the rest of the album, but i'm sure it won't. They are smart lads. I agree this will go great with ABOY.

I really think this is a Radio edit version, so probably album version will be longer :cool:

Well, talking about First singles for U2 albums, some of them shows clearly what´s the sound of the whole album, like "Beautiful Day", "With or Without You" or "Pride ( in the name of love )", but other ones, like "The Fly" don´t show that :ohmy:
so I don´t know if this song shows a glimpse from the whole album or not.

Another interesting thing to analyze is the quality of the songs chosen for first single.

Songs like "With or Without You", "Pride ( in the name of love )", "The Fly", "Discotheque", "New Year´s Day" or "Desire" are without a doubt U2 classics, and all these songs probably are the best of the album in which they were included, for many fans. At least these songs are highlights of those albums.
But other songs like "Fire" or "Numb" are not among the best songs of the albums.
So, what´s about Vertigo ¿?

Do you think this new song will be one of the best songs of the new album ?
Do you think this new song captured the whole sound of the new album ?

:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

I just played Vertigo for 40 people at a party and people were like..Is that Bono..Is that U2? And when Edge ripps inot his guitar solo they are like..OH SHIT!! How did he do that? People started requesting the DJ to play it again!

SO my rating is beyond the 10 for perfect. I diddn't feel this much hype for Beautiful Day. I felt this much hype when THE Fly came out.

10/10, amazing energy and a perfect first single! I love the lyrics, especially the second verse. Guitar and Bass!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Omigod, omigod, omigod!!!! This is KILLING meeeee!!!!! I can't get my computer to open any of the links so I can play the song!!!

And it's obviousely JUST AS AWESOME AS PROMISED!!!!!!! I think my head is going to explode before tomorrow!!!! :combust:

How am I ever going to sleep tonight?!?!?!?!? :censored:

Okay, I am not :drunk: on the song anymore. I can rate now! :D

As a single, this baby outshines every single released off All That... . No question. Well, the Walk On remix single done by Nigel is close, but not quite.

The ONLY criticism I have is that I find the all the "yeahs" at the end of the song to be a little too simplistic. It is almost butchered by it I think. A few "yeahs" are fine, but there are quite a lot of them there. Maybe if it closed with more focus on the guitar and bass. Well, don't listen to me! I know jack! :wink: Its just the "single" version too. We might all find out that Vertigo on the album is 3:45 of pure ear drug that kicks even more ass. Who knows?

I still rate this single to be their BEST first single release since The Fly. That says a lot in itself. I love BD very much. It just never grabbed me by the balls as suddenly as VertiGO did. No way! The cheesy keyboard intro to BD took some time to love.

A 9.5 easy! :applaud:

Yeah, it's definitely their best first single since The Fly, but that's not comparing many first singles since that time.

I give it an 8. It definitely rocks, and has an energy I'm loving. And it's a lot of fun to play on the guitar (even for crappy players like myself).

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is hearing Miracle Drug. If the rest of the album sits between Vertigo and MD, then we have an awesome album to look forward to.

The reaction to Vertigo is incredible. Maybe it's the 4 year wait, I don't know. I mean, they have come out with some great songs since ATYCLB (ES, HTBA), but maybe with a full album on the horizon, it's raising the average rating a bit.

I expect, after a few months, it will go down a point or so for the people who love it, and go up a point or so for the people who are so-so on it (very few of those, from what I see). Either way, it is a definite success.

It proves, us 40-somethings are FAR from old!!!

It' a kind of blockbuster summer movie... It's popcorn...

The kind of song that non U2 fans will love, the kind of song that rocks a party, the kind of song that sticks in your head and grab you from the first seconds.

A great rockin' song...a great in yer face single.

But it lacks the soaring quality, the crescendo quality that i love so much on the best U2 songs...

I guess Miracle Drug will be the song i'm expecting.

For now, Vertigo will do what a blockbuster, popcorns, bubblegum and fissy drinks would do: it will keep me 2 hours happy...

Back
Top Bottom