Rate The Song: Indian Summer Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indian Summer Sky

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Time to rank the second half of The Unforgettable Fire!

Please rate Indian Summer Sky on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Extremely uplifting to me, like someone said befor me, it's light side to the darkness of Wire.

"you give yourself to this to this the longest day, you give yourself you give it al awaaaaay" makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I terribly love this song. One of my favorites on The Unforgettable Fire. It's beautiful, but at the same full of energy. I love the live versions of Indian Summer Sky on the UF tour as well. Giving it a 9.

I usually skip this song. I like the sound they had going as it has a mystical quality about it but the tune never really takes off for me and just seems unfinished. Either Love Comes Tumbling or Three Sunrises would have fit better in this slot. Still, I give it a 7.

This one is like the forgotten U2 song. I don't think I have ever seen anything written about it, ever, and I've never heard anyone mention it. It's not a song I feel compelled to put on, but when I do it sounds incredible. I feel like it can't be a 9, but it is, so it is.

Decent, but a bit hook-free and directionless. It just never really clicks into place or feels truly finished, but the lyrics are great. 6.

Hahaha quality sarcasm :hi5: Or, if not, an amusing coincidence.

Short sketches work a lot better than an idea or two posing as a full song: see Promenade. Eno's solo work peaked with Another Green World (my avatar, for those who wonder why Nick's post made me laugh), which was full of delicious sonic morsels that weren't mindblowing songs on their own but became much greater in context. TUF does that really well, but ISS is just boring, and I can't get behind any argument for the song working in context.

Hahaha quality sarcasm :hi5: Or, if not, an amusing coincidence.

Short sketches work a lot better than an idea or two posing as a full song: see Promenade. Eno's solo work peaked with Another Green World (my avatar, for those who wonder why Nick's post made me laugh), which was full of delicious sonic morsels that weren't mindblowing songs on their own but became much greater in context. TUF does that really well, but ISS is just boring, and I can't get behind any argument for the song working in context.

OK, OK. Don't get a swollen appendices. But sometimes bands just like to drop in discreet music, like music for films. Think of these songs as spirits drifting, merging into the dark trees of the night under whose sky saw St. Elmo's fire like somber reptiles, waiting for golden hours in which they can be becalmed.

Just as everything merges with the night, so these songs merge together to form another world. Don't underestimate their melancholy waltz. There are no coincidences.

:up: I'm going to like you a lot less when you start handing out 2s and 3s to Pop tracks, but that should balance things out.

Back
Top Bottom