Rate the Song: Discothèque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOOM CHA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's now begin voting on the first half of what is perhaps U2's most controversial album, Pop.

Please rate Discothèque on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

I think Mofo should have been the first single but Discoteque is still a very catchy, very funky number.
Great riff from edge, and yeah, i love the boom chas!

Brian and Danny, where are you?

Silly. Mediocre. Derivative. And probably a mistake. This one should have been taken with the Flood, or at least left in the duty free.

Yeah, I get it. I get the irony. I get the Village people thing. I even got the K-Mart thing. The problem is, it just didn't work. U2 meant us to laugh with them when we're laughing at them. They rightly distanced themselves from this fiasco.*

U2's first song their weakest album gets a 5 for ambition. The remix on the 90/00 B-Sides gets a 6.

*Disclaimer: This reflects solely the opinion of the author of this post. Readers should not infer that it is a statement of fact that is authoritative on this song in any of its edited, remixed and/or live versions. This view does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Interference.com, Principal Management, Live Nation, Island Records, or anyone else associated with U2 or any of their affiliates.

One of Edge's best guitar riffs and one of their best openers. 9

Brian and Danny, where are you?

Silly. Mediocre. Derivative. And probably a mistake. This one should have been taken with the Flood, or at least left in the duty free.

Yeah, I get it. I get the irony. I get the Village people thing. I even got the K-Mart thing. The problem is, it just didn't work. U2 meant us to laugh with them when we're laughing at them. They rightly distanced themselves from this fiasco.*

U2's first song their weakest album gets a 5 for ambition. The remix on the 90/00 B-Sides gets a 6.

*Disclaimer: This reflects solely the opinion of the author of this post. Readers should not infer that it is a statement of fact that is authoritative on this song in any of its edited, remixed and/or live versions. This view does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Interference.com, Principal Management, Live Nation, Island Records, or anyone else associated with U2 or any of their affiliates.

giving that awful mix in the 90's Best Of a higher score than the album version should automatically void your vote.

It's an extremely fun single. Great riff and it's definitely more rock than dance. 9

Pop. Used to be one of my least favorite U2 albums - now one of my favorites. And what a way to kick off the album than with Discothèque. Such a fun song, very energetic, one of Edge's best riffs. 9. One of my favorites on Pop.

It's silly fun, but it's never been one of my favorites.

And the Best Of remix is a travesty.

Quite good, but never quite takes off the way classic U2 singles do. Like several of their songs in the 1997 to 2009 period, it sounds awkwardly structured, like they spent far too long trying to compose the pieces together to make a tight song rather than just letting it come out in an organic way.

Nicely encapsulates their obvious obsession with 90's club culture. It's a messy, throwaway song, it gives instant gratification but is then completely forgettable - but maybe that's the point...? It never really worked live for me. One of the weaker Pop songs. 6

Love the playfulness of this song and how it's an easy dance song, but it isn't a favorite. The lyrics are a bit of a turn off because they go nowhere. Overall this one is good to listen to occasionally... 5.

Not the greatest lead single, but the guitar playing is hot, and there are like six different hooks in the song, and it's fun and the video is just ridiculous and there you go.

9. Fantastic. Best of remix gets about a 5, though. But I'm not voting on that one. I'm voting on the high class, funky fresh album version.

But this... :drool:
It gets about a 9.9. There's a tiny gripe I have with the arrangement that I can't quite place my finger on. It has to do with the second verse, I'm thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWm6Va0Cpyc

It has a catchy riff, which I enjoy about the song. Some of it's a little too Pop-y for my taste but overall it's still fun and still has just enough rock in it to keep me intrigued.

Musically, this song is heavy shit. Some serious rock and roll going on here. And it all came together live. Great song. The lyrics and film clip were never designed for the average fan so releasing it as the lead off single was pretty dumb.

This song has the best (perhaps as well even the most embarrassing) music video ever. Always loved Discotheque (and it's music video). Definitely were onto something with the Vertigo version but the PopMart tour version is my favorite live version of this. Nothing beats the studio version and that sexy bass line and tight beat that Adam and Larry create.

Gave me a huge warm grin inside and out when i saw the video for this, especially Edges moustache and the group village people dance at the end. I think i remember reading that Larry complained he got stick down his local pub from mates for years for this.
I love the buzzy simple riff and turning up the volume for the boom cha's. Great fun and liked what the lyrics said to me though couched in a playful way.

11 for the video, 8.5 for the song.

I'll repeat what I said about Gone: if you prefer the "New Mix" there's something seriously wrong with you. If this was Facebook I would de-friend you.

This track OWNS. Such giant balls they had.

I'll repeat what I said about Gone: if you prefer the "New Mix" there's something seriously wrong with you

There's a special place in musical hell reserved for people who prefer the abomination that is the Best Of version. If you can't understand the soul that's missing on that re-recording, I feel sorry for you.

Thanks for reminding me to put you on ignore. You may not have the shittiest taste on Interference, but you're in the running and certainly the most annoying about vocalizing it.

Stay classy Laz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom