Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the live songs are pretty ready to go I think. I think they certainly have enough material to put out an album. It's just a question of how long they'll sit on it.

Considering they played 5 new songs, I don't think lack of material is the issue.

True. But does anyone know the actual details of their last recording contract? As in, not just money, but # of albums over X number of years? Just curious...

You know, I thought I would know the answer to that off-hand but I don't.

All I remember is they left Universal/Island for Mercury, U218 definitely fulfilled the old contract. In fact, they were said to have been pissed that nobody from Island came by when they were recording (presumably) Saints and WITS for U218. Although, that was surely a 'final straw' sort of thing.

I don't think the details of their newest contract (ca. 2007) were ever published. My guess is, U2 have a lot of wiggle room, whatever the contract is. U2 are still on Interscope in the U.S. but it's all under the Universal umbrella.

I don't think we have to worrying about U2 going independent any time soon.
But I guess it's always possible. But in any event, they are surely not limited by their recording contract, in fact, I'd bet it's the single best recording contract that any artist has with any major label. That's one thing you can give Paul McG credit for...I know he takes a beating around these parts.

I still think that it's really strange that U2 hasn't done any interviews lately. They've been practically silent this whole leg of the tour. It seems like they were always talking to somebody in the various cities they visited last year and even more on the Vertigo tour. Bono and Edge did some radio interviews when the Australian shows were announced, but I think that was it.

There might be several reasons for this, including the possibility that they are planning to make an announcement about new music or that they are still in the process of trying to decide what to do with their new songs. My guess is the latter. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but this silence reminds me of times in the past when we knew U2 were working on something and didn't hear from them for a while, like a calm before the storm. But who knows? It's jut very odd for them to be so quiet while on tour.

How many of their NLOTH sales came from CDs anyway, as opposed to digital sales?

Honestly, there's no reason they couldn't release something 12 hours after the mastering is finished.

We have every reason to believe they have a lot of material. I believe even McGuinness has commented on it!

Yes, talking to Hot Press after the Turin show:

McGuinness: "I hope there will be another record pretty soon. If I was being wildly optimistic, I'd say before the end of the year."

But that's a while ago now, of course.

He also commented on Bono's interview about 4 separate U2 album projects:

McGuinness: "I heard him telling an Italian journalist, that he had four albums ready. That's not quite it! But that's what he was saying." [laughs]

(I copied and pasted from @U2 as I don't subscribe to the Hot Press archive)

Again from @U2 (some of you may have read this already):

A member from U2 had said this to Italian newspaper Il Giornale: "We are planning to release our next record as an application. Today, with laptops, iphone and ipad, music can go back to being a visual phenomenon."

If they were serious about this, could they have it all ready by November? Just a digital release and therefore no distribution through music stores. That would save a lot of time. Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps :hmm:

they should do a Best of 1978-1980 and call it U2:3. Yeah, that would be great.

then we should get back to reality. such as discuss the speculation and hearsay about the new album.

i think they are in vancouver right now.

You want reality? What do you think my posts were, aside from speculation?

The only truth here is that nobody really knows anything...thats all.

Again from @U2 (some of you may have read this already):

A member from U2 had said this to Italian newspaper Il Giornale: "We are planning to release our next record as an application. Today, with laptops, iphone and ipad, music can go back to being a visual phenomenon."

If they were serious about this, could they have it all ready by November? Just a digital release and therefore no distribution through music stores. That would save a lot of time. Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps :hmm:
This would actually be really cool. Release a digital version of the album via iTunes/iOS App Store in November, and then maybe have a CD/vinyl release in January or what have you. Besides, a lot of smaller artists already do this, so it would actually be pretty feasible.

Can someone confirm if NLOTH actually flopped by today's record industry standards, or did it just flop by U2 standards and sales figures for their older albums?

The record industry has changed massively over the last 5-10 years and that's something U2 and McGuinness are obviously well aware of, which is why I'm surprised that they still seem keen to try the old formula with a lead single to radio, lots of PR, album, more radio-friendly singles etc. Is there really still a big market for new albums which aren't greatest hits in the lead-up to Christmas?

lol!

Well, even if we ignore everything else - They have played 6 new songs live in the last few months. Add in Soon and Winter and that's 8 songs, almost a complete album right there...... How old do they want the songs to be when they finally release them?

what is "everything else" though? obviously the new songs on tour tell us that the band intends to release a new album within the next year or two. but i don't see any clues that suggest an impending surprise release or anything before the end of the year.....unless i missed something. :shrug:

lol!

Well, even if we ignore everything else - They have played 6 new songs live in the last few months. Add in Soon and Winter and that's 8 songs, almost a complete album right there...... How old do they want the songs to be when they finally release them?

they already released soon and winter... why would they put it on an album?

i don't give a shit about visual phenomenon's when i'm battling traffic on the grand central. just give me some songs to keep me entertained, thus not cursing out the livery cab driver who just cut me off for the 80th time.

yep, leave the visual art to artists, and stick to what they're good at!

soon was on the 360 box set and winter was nominated for a golden globe... :shrug:

Neither one you can buy or download legally.

One was a vinyl deluxe package only, and they other you can listen to a ripped version from the movie. :shrug:

I don't see Winter making it on a CD(except maybe a bonus song) but I do see Soon, especially if we get the original version of SOA.

for.me, i don't care when it comes out. i just want another concept album like Achtung Baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom