Q Magazine snippets - now Consolidated (Pics added 12/29/08 & 1/1/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:yes:

and personally I'm pulling for the punk version of No Line, though I really do hope we get both somehow. I don't see why we shouldn't, one could be a bside or bonus track or whatevs.

Yeah.

The ambient version of NLOTH could be put as a b side as "No Line On The Horizon (Alternate Version)

I like the sound of the punk version, with Edges new guitar tech thing, will sound cool. Innovative rockers ftw. :hyper:

How many rockers are there judging from the descriptions, we have Stand Up, Get Your Boots On, NLOTH, maybe Cedars (I always thought of it as rockish)... :hmm:

Yeah.

How many rockers are there judging from the descriptions, we have Stand Up, Get Your Boots On, NLOTH, maybe Cedars (I always thought of it as rockish)... :hmm:

Breathe is supposed to be a "fuck-off live rocker" and it sounds rockin in the beach clip, though that's without the cello. that'll be interesting to hear.

Breathe is supposed to be a "fuck-off live rocker" and it sounds rockin in the beach clip, though that's without the cello. that'll be interesting to hear.

Oh yeah forgot about Breathe, I remember even with the Arabic cello its still gonna be a rocker because there was mention of ranting verses and all.

I'm disappointed to hear that Bono seemed to strongly favor the newer, "punk" version of No Line On The Horizon over the earlier version. IMO, they need to go as ambient as possible within the tracks they have. I really just hope they didn't go back and alter things as much with this record as they did with the last. Other than the second version of Sometimes I really didn't think the tampering was necessary. The news is pretty exciting overall, though.

Well done Bono,bring on the rock n roll! After all,Edge is on fire?!

Stuck sucked live

on CD :drool:

How wrong you are. Sydney Nov 2006, Bono and Edge. FUCKING AWESOME!!!

meanwhile i am ansty about a few things

* hip hop...please no
* i'll go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight...fucking terrible
* with out hearts out?
* only 11 songs?!
* war war boring boring!!!
* bono in eyeliner in that vid...scary

other then that, i am well happy! :D

So.. no "The Sun The Moon The Stars"? Is it mean that Slow Loris was fake?

So.. no "The Sun The Moon The Stars"? Is it mean that Slow Loris was fake?

I don't get why this title keeps coming back with every new album.
It's part of Discotheque!

"You're looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
You want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head
Love...

You want heaven in your heart
Heaven in your heart
The sun, the moon, and the stars

But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
But you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight"

:wave:

Bono on Tour plans. "Well, I can't say too much because the LiveNation people would die. But think its fair to say that what we've planned for outdoors has never been done before and that we've been working on it for a long time. It's a feat of engineering genius."

Could he be referring to this? From 2003 (!) - That IS a long time, but perhaps they have finally worked this one out.

Holosonics May Have New Audio Technology for U2
@U2, November 06, 2003

Sherry Colombaro

U2 is often the first band on the block with new touring technology. From Zoo TV's traveling television studio, to PopMart's screen with blue LEDs and Elevation's XL Video and LED video walls, the band has shown a tendency to focus on the visual side of the cutting-edge.

Until now. For the next tour, U2 may break sound barriers with the Audio Spotlight, created by Watertown, Massachusetts-based Holosonics.

Around July 2000, Bono, Edge and Brian Eno arrived at the opening of the MIT Media Lab Europe in Dublin. Upon walking in, Bono approached MIT doctoral student Joseph Pompei and said "Where's the audio spotlight?" Pompei impressed not only the members of U2, but also everyone present. And now, he's set to impress the world with his invention, the Audio Spotlight.

The Audio Spotlight is to sound what the spotlight and laser are to light. Instead of filling a room with sound as a traditional loudspeaker would, the Audio Spotlight allows sound to be channeled through a narrow beam, allowing only those in its path to hear it while "lighting up" backdrops with an audible array of sounds -- imagine replacing the lighting in "Bad" with swirling sounds and you begin to get the idea.

@U2 was fortunate enough to sit down recently with Dr. Pompei in his Watertown office to talk about his invention and the way in which he became involved with U2.

Pompei said the Audio Spotlight was something that "really excited them [U2] -- to mimic the kind of effects that you do with lights, only with sounds -- so his [Edge's] guitar can fly by your face, for example." Or imagine the sound of an airplane taking off in the middle of "Beautiful Day" as a wave of sound, instead of a wall of sound. These effects would add spatial quality or some audio motion to the live show, in the same way a spotlight can shine on only Bono or on the entire audience.

The way the Audio Spotlight works is by using ultrasound to direct the sound through the speaker and to the listener. The sound can be directed to a specific area so it can only be heard in that location. Pompei demonstrated this at the MIT Media Lab using a John Coltrane saxophone solo. "I had his saxophone flying around the room and whizzing by people's faces...they were blown away by it."

Dr. Pompei has been meeting with members of U2 since then to explore how the Audio Spotlight can be used in a concert environment. "They are rather innovative thinking-wise. We actually went out to the Staples Center in L.A. with some of our sound equipment so that we could do a proper acoustic assessment of the space and understand what it would take to get an Audio Spotlight to work in that kind of environment," Pompei said. He feels that about a dozen speakers would suffice in an environment like that, acting like theatrical spotlights.

"You could synchronize it with the lights themselves, and the lighting designers are already well versed and well trained to choreograph lighting, so they can think in the same terms of lighting as they do with sound."

Even though Pompei would not confirm the Audio Spotlight will be part of U2's plans for their next tour, they are listed on his web page as a client. Pompei did sound optimistic that it could be available when the tour starts, "Might be. We'll see. It's possible." Willie Williams, U2's longtime tour and lighting designer told @U2 that he's heard of the Audio Spotlight. "Edge mentioned the Holosonics idea some time ago, though there are no firm plans to use it on the next tour."

At age 16, Pompei became the youngest sound engineer at the Bose Corporation, and at the age of 21 had the desire to explore the notion of directing sound. According to Pompei, "I don't think they [Bose] were all that interested in what a 21-year-old had to say about the future of audio technology." So, he enrolled at Northwestern University and studied psychoacoustics and auditory physiology. After investigating underwater SONAR research done by the Navy in the 1960s, he stumbled upon something from the 1980s. "And there were a couple of papers from the early 1980s about a couple of Japanese companies who were trying to do this in air -- and make a loudspeaker out of it. Now when I saw those, I got very excited because I said, 'Hey -- maybe this is really possible.' " Pompei noticed where the Japanese researchers went wrong in their math, and realized that he was well on his way to an invention that will change the way people experience sound.

He then landed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab for his doctorate, and successfully developed his first prototype. After realizing that his invention worked, he said, "I was psyched. I was a little bit dazed at first. I remember the first time I turned on the most modern prototype, it was about 7 or 8 in the morning and I had been up all night. I was a little bit groggy and I shouldn't have been working with electronics at that hour. But I was. I remember turning it on and expecting a very faint sort of sound. So I turned it on and just hear this loud-like tone come out. And I shut it off right away because I thought it might be broken, because it shouldn't have been as loud as it was. And I didn't think it was going to work as well. So then I kind of checked everything and turned it on again and kind of played with it and, lo and behold, it was actually doing what it was supposed to do."

Now, a few years later, with the Audio Spotlight being used in museums and trade shows around the world, Pompei is excited about the opportunity to move the technology into the concert arena. He'd be happy to see anybody using the technology, although when pressed for specific artists he admitted, "I wouldn't mind if Jimi Hendrix was still around using audio spotlights."

For now, it looks like U2 will be the poster child for this technology. And with the impending tales of upcoming tours and concert dates it might not be long before it is your face that Edge's guitar is whizzing by.

© @U2/ Colombaro, 2003.

It amazes me that people are upset about U2 singing about war.

...Hello?! War?! You know, the third album that's about war, sung by a band that has made much of its reputation from being politically active?

I think it's great that they're singing about war and politics. About time, if you ask me.

:lol:This is U2 after the year 2000 we're talking about, remember? :wink:

Boy - 11
October - 11
War - 10
Unforgettable Fire - 10
Joshua Tree - 11
Rattle & Hum - 9 new
Achtung Baby - 12
Zooropa - 10
Pop - 12
ATYCLB - 11
HTDAAB - 11

Both ATYCLB & HTDAAB have 12 if you have the version with the bonus track. In sum, 11 isn't exactly a departure for them.

(Edited to correct typo noted in posts below)

I reeeeaaaaally really really really really REALLY hope that "Get Your Boots On" is a kind of satirical, irony-fest sort of song - love the idea of a bunch of hot cheerleaders in marching boots, going off to war, parading around town - such a lovely juxtaposition and I could see the band having a lot of fun with that idea. Would definitely make for an interesting video...

EDIT: And I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but AB has 12 songs.

Ok so WHEN did it say anywhere that this album had a "war" theme?!?! the excerpt from 'boots" say's specifically "I dont wanna talk about wars between nations".

The two other songs: Winter is about a soldier. and Cedars is from the point of view of a war correspondent. So even if these two were about "war" (which it sounds like they are about the personal accounts of two kinds of people that are involved in war as opposed to being "preachy" war THEMED songs) then 2 songs hardly makes the theme of the entire album a war theme.

where did the rumor in this forum start about a non-existent theme? anyway U2 will write about what they want to write about.

Pics, thanks windylad.

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

206.jpg

207.jpg

208.jpg

209.jpg

210.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

Thanks for the pics, but wait what???? It says Subscribers only on the front part! :sad: Does that mean when I buy the issue I don't get the U2 part?

That quote 'I'm sick of Bono - and I am him' is almost exactly what he was saying in the 2004 edition of Q before HTDAAB came out. God, he's like a bad comedian hehe!

Back
Top Bottom