POP - the forgotten masterpeice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While it's true that Pop isn't forgotten at all on Interference... U2 have seemingly "disowned" the album, which is probably part of why Pop-fans are so vocal about their loyalty to the album.

And while we're on the subject of that, I've been rapidly absorbing U2 By U2, and I've just recently finished the Pop section. I was a bit bothered by the way the band seem to defend the entire era with one hand, while making excuses for it with the other. Makes you wonder how they really feel about it :eyebrow:

coolian2 said:
Was it Edge who said that if songs like Last Night on Earth worked as well live like New Year's Day they'd still play them live?

by "worked as well live" they probably mean gets as good a fan reaction, which is laaaaame

because that song is easily one of their best songs live

The Slow Loris said:

On a serious note, why do you think 'New Year's Day' gets way better fan reaction than 'Last Night on Earth'?

Chiznip!

:ohmy:

because its a big radio hit that all the stinky casual fans love

doesnt mean it rocks as much live

Chizip said:

because its a big radio hit that all the stinky casual fans love

doesnt mean it rocks as much live
Stick and stones may break my bones....

But live rocks will never hurt me.

But pleae don't throw live rocks -- please!

Anyway, my friend, Chizy, you bring up a valid point. But is the argument itself valid? Now that is far too dangerous to answer.

On to the next question: why was 'New Year's Day' a far bigger hit than 'Last Night on Earth'? Both were fairly stripped down guitar songs, so what gives?

'New Year's Day' was 1st single from an album.
'Last Night on Earth' was 3rd single from an album

'New Year's Day' has a 'Day' in the title.
'Last Night On Earth' has a 'night' in the title.

'New Year's Day' is the beginning.
'Last Night On Earth' is the end.

:wink:

The Slow Loris said:

Stick and stones may break my bones....

But live rocks will never hurt me.

But pleae don't throw live rocks -- please!

Anyway, my friend, Chizy, you bring up a valid point. But is the argument itself valid? Now that is far too dangerous to answer.

On to the next question: why was 'New Year's Day' a far bigger hit than 'Last Night on Earth'? Both were fairly stripped down guitar songs, so what gives?

New Year's day is catchier, had better promotion, more radio play, more easily accessible, and released at the right time and place. Just because a song is a bigger hit with the public, doesn' meant it's a better song. Hell the Macarena was a bigger hit than most of U2's catalogue, doesn't mean it's of higher quality.

Hey I like New Year's Day and don't think it's nearly as stale live as some other old warhorses such as Pride or One. But when I hear the Edge say something like Last Night on Earth doesn't work well live, it boggles my mind, as imo it was one of their finest live moments. It is a song that just really comes to life in the live setting, and for the band to judge it on the audience reaction, its a little disappointing.

It's like during the Vertigo Tour, I had the pleasure to see one of the 2 shows where they performed Discotheque. It was redone in a magnificent way that made it THE highlight of all 10 shows I went to. Yet once again the band felt like it didn't work, and once again it boggles my mind, as it was stunningly good. And I have to wonder how much the crowd reaction played a role in it getting dropped so quickly.

Chizip said:

by "worked as well live" they probably mean gets as good a fan reaction, which is laaaaame

because that song is easily one of their best songs live

I know. New Year's Day is average live, at best. Last Night on Earth goes off.

I'd wet myself is LNOE was played in Auckland, i'd probably yell and cheer if NYD was played, but i'd rather LNOE.

NYD is catchier mainly by the use of the piano...its a groovin power song.
for knowing the true promise of POP you have to dig very deep. i nearly digged for 7 years. but now POP is a phenomenal album i usually call it the Raw Diamond. this phenomenon of diggin' deep for example never ever will happen for HTDAAB, becaus this album doesn't have the lyrically and musically depth of AB, ZOOROPA and POP. POP is champions league, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are relegated teams.

Last Night On Earth is great live, along with Miami and Mofo these songs from Pop are almost as good as anything U2 have done live. However as a single New Years Day is lights years better than Last night On Earth in my opinion.

I agree that LNOE rocks, especially live. But, if you were up on stage you'd probably believe something works or doesn't work based on fan reaction. It's a shame there are so many casual fans.

patske said:

I even like Miami and the Playboy Mansion.. (and i am probably the only one..) :wink:

I had The Playboy Mansion stuck in my head at work today.

the tourist said:

I had The Playboy Mansion stuck in my head at work today.

All I could hear in my head all day was

MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my mammy

:banghead:

As for the NYD/LNOE argument...people remember NYD. They don't remember LNOE as well, because NYD became a classic to the non fanatics as well.

I think POP is not a forgotten masterpiece :bow: :cool: ... at least for the fans. Looking at any POP thread or "Best U2 album" or related polls, POP always ranks high and it's one of the fans favorites (including me of course !!)

Now with the band it's a different story: The band forced themselves to forgot POP, and that's really shameful :scream: They destroyed and sent to hell the POP songs (and Numb as well) included on "Best" of 1990-2000, they avoided to play POP and Zooropa numbers on recent tours, except for a few candies, etc :(

But I think things are changing, Bono cut his hair and looks like Popmart days, The Saints includes Boom Chas (and still nobody knows why :hug: ) and the band seems trying to leave behind (AT LAST) the OVERLONG ATYCLB era

Let's see what will happen in the near future

TALK ABOUT ... POP MUSIK
:wave:

I love Pop.

AMEN!!! I think that there is a growing restlessness with the touchy feely U2 which admittedly has been timely and relevant post 9/11.

This is the scary next chapter to post 9/11 world. An Orwellian prelude to all of the scary premises of novels like 9/11 and Farenheit 451. I still have faith that the band can make a great album if they tap into the current climate without trying to please the soccer moms.

Sure, talk about Africa. But get more graphic. Let it flow through the Edge's guitar as was the approach in Bullet the Blue Sky and South America.

Talk about the idea of America. But let loose with some straight up attitude about it. Offend us. For God's sake offend us.

Talk about being an aging rock star and play it up. Do a music video sitting in a wheelchair and hooked up to an IV, and put it to wicked rocking track.

Talk about the Messiah complex. It would be 30 times more effective for Bono than for Madonna (who everyone knows is trying for shock factor) because with him it is real.

POP-ROMANCER said:
Great poetry man!

And yes, POP is a masterpiece!:drool:
pop was never finished and the mix was terrible.

But i like it better than say, Freebird!

dietcokeofevil said:
I love Pop.

AMEN!!! I think that there is a growing restlessness with the touchy feely U2 which admittedly has been timely and relevant post 9/11.

This is the scary next chapter to post 9/11 world. An Orwellian prelude to all of the scary premises of novels like 9/11 and Farenheit 451. I still have faith that the band can make a great album if they tap into the current climate without trying to please the soccer moms.

Sure, talk about Africa. But get more graphic. Let it flow through the Edge's guitar as was the approach in Bullet the Blue Sky and South America.

Talk about the idea of America. But let loose with some straight up attitude about it. Offend us. For God's sake offend us.

Talk about being an aging rock star and play it up. Do a music video sitting in a wheelchair and hooked up to an IV, and put it to wicked rocking track.

Talk about the Messiah complex. It would be 30 times more effective for Bono than for Madonna (who everyone knows is trying for shock factor) because with him it is real.
What a great, great post. I couldn't agree with you more. The time has come for exactly all of this. :up:

Listen to your words they'll tell you what to do
Listen over the rhythm that's confusing you
Listen to the reed in the saxophone
Listen over the hum in the radio
Listen over sounds of blades in rotation
Listen through the traffic and circulation
Listen as hope and peace try to rhyme
Listen over marching bands playing out their time

Maybe the greatest set of lyrics on any U2 album.

dietcokeofevil said:
I love Pop.

Yes , nicely said . Yes please offend us !

dietcokeofevil said:

:yes: I think after America (for JT) and the broken heart/s (for AB) Africa could be the inspiration for a third masterpiece if done right.

Mortality, possibly, but they already tapped into this on the last few albums.

A message to The Edge: get over it and play LNOE live.

I will bet 100 pounds, dollars you name it on it that it will get a better reaction then New year's day!

LNOE rocks everything off the stage! POPmart mexico ending please! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I think POP is a great album but the fact that it was rushed does bother me. I just can't help but wonder what it would've been like if the album wasn't rushed. But I honestly think JT, AB and HTDAAB are U2's more defining albums. Sure ATYCLB was great but I don't think it was spontaneous enough. It's weak compared to POP and JT, AB and HTDAAB.

Chizip said:

Hey I like New Year's Day and don't think it's nearly as stale live as some other old warhorses such as Pride or One. But when I hear the Edge say something like Last Night on Earth doesn't work well live, it boggles my mind, as imo it was one of their finest live moments. It is a song that just really comes to life in the live setting, and for the band to judge it on the audience reaction, its a little disappointing.

It's like during the Vertigo Tour, I had the pleasure to see one of the 2 shows where they performed Discotheque. It was redone in a magnificent way that made it THE highlight of all 10 shows I went to. Yet once again the band felt like it didn't work, and once again it boggles my mind, as it was stunningly good. And I have to wonder how much the crowd reaction played a role in it getting dropped so quickly.

I'm so jealous that you heard Discotheque... it does indeed boggle the mind that the band (I heard specifically Edge? maybe he really doesnt like Pop more than any of them :huh: ) didn't think it worked live...it sounded amazing to me, best arrangement of Disco ever, and Bono really got into it

and of course LNOE was brilliant live, the ending is killer

I really hope that next tour Pop gets some love... it's a shame that Pop really is overlooked by the general public. If judged by Interference, you'd think every Pop song would get a huge reaction from the crowd, but most people don't even know the songs :shrug: there's a guy at my school that has the album and says he loves the song Discotheque and I was like :love: because it's so rare, especially from non-U2 fans!

dietcokeofevil - great post. I do have hope for the future. I think working with Rubin is a very positive thing and if Saints is an indicator at all of the direction U2 is headed (high energy music, a little controversy), I'm all for it.

the original post in this thread was great as well :up:

here's the bottom line: once you Pop the fun don't stop.

schnumi said:

I will bet 100 pounds, dollars you name it on it that it will get a better reaction then New year's day!

It is good live, but there is no way it can get a better reaction than NYD.

I think looking at the audience reaction would kind of be a given when you play live; how else would you know what works live or not?

Ok everybody...I'm getting really close to another lenghty post about why Pop is truly horrible...but been there, done that. Let's just say that liking Pop doesn't put you in some special "we're cool because we like the worst album" club. Remember, the album actually has to be good.

Back
Top Bottom