Please Stop All The NEGATIVITY about U2! Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miggy D said:

It just means you're making a statement about someone else, when you are in fact the same way. Like, "Hey, that's a stupid purple shirt." ...And you're wearing the same purple shirt.

And yes, it's also extremely racist. It was a saying actually invented by the KKK in 1916. Let's just say the two characters weren't originally a 'pot' and a 'kettle.' Thankfully, the saying was cleaned up and not many people know the original meaning.

...just kidding. I just made all that crap up right now.

:wink:

-Miggy D

LOL! Silly Miggy! :wink:

I know what the expression means. However, I can't help but wonder if it has roots in racism. Just a passing thought... :scratch: still, it's for that reason I prefer not to use that cliche - just in case.

It's amazing how many things actually start out as quite racist. And I'm not making these up:

'Eeny meeny miney mo, catch a tiger by the toe." Was originally quite racist. Replace 'tiger' with the worst racial slur you can think of and you know the original 'rhyme.'

The origin of the piggy bank that was so beloved by children? Children were told to keep their money inside of piggy banks because 'Jews don't like pork.' I am not making this up.

It's kind of shocking, how much stuff actually has tainted history, so I don't blame you for being a little cautious about the 'kettle, pot' thing. But from all my reading, I don't think that one has a questionable background.

-Miggy D

Jick, you're a genius. I love your humour, man. Except one thing... Pop is a great record.

HelloAngel said:
I'm confused Jick - because alot of the threads you start on these forums can be construed as negative or fishing for fights on these forums - where are you drawing a distinction?

I'd like an answer to this.

jick said:

HTDAAB is getting rave reviews and U2 has finally brought forth an album that has linked the great divide between the POP worshippers and ATYCLB fans. There are extremely happy and positive times. So please people, PLEASE .... stop all the negativity in the posts. Disagreement with the band is ok, constructive criticism is fine. But an overall tone of negativity directed at the band unsupported by reason and treading on borderline trolling should not be tolerated in this forum. A negative thread here and there is ok, but we should have a generally positive outlook - not an attitude of somenone picking straws and finding faults just for the sake of it. STOP THE NEGATIVITY NOW, PLEASE!

Anyway, I think I've ranted enough for now.

Cheers,

J

Hey I knew you couldn't resist a post without mentioning your favourite record Pop.:wink:

HelloAngel said:
I'm confused Jick - because alot of the threads you start on these forums can be construed as negative or fishing for fights on these forums - where are you drawing a distinction?

I think I shouldn't have titled the thread NEGATIVITY but more about complaining. I haven't really complained about the new album. As a matter of fact, my threads are quite positive. Of course I have some qualms but my general outlook has been positive.

You will never find a post of me saying the following:
-complaining about Bono's hairstyle and headgear
-saying Vertigo is catchy but no substance
-calling Are You Gonna Wait Forever substandard
-lambasting U2 for miming the CD UK and TOTP performance
-complaining about too much CGI in the Vertigo vid
-criticizing HTDAAB as "playing it safe"
-questioned the tracklisting order of HTDAAB
-complained about lack of lyrics in the limited edition
-questioned the inclusion and exclusion of some album tracks
-preferred demo versions of songs over album versions
-etc. etc. etc.

But yes, I still am full of complaints. I complained as to why Clayton was excluded from BandAid this time. I keep on disagreeing when some forum members start to compare U2 to hacks like Radiohead and Coldplay and get to a point of being negative. I say the album is too good that it would make a perfect final album for U2 and people dismiss that as negativity since I am discussing U2's demise. Hey, I have never started a "Mercy gushing thread" which is really a "HTDAAB Track Selection Bashing thread" in sheep's clothing.

Also, I have generally been praise at the business strategies and marketing gimmicks U2 have employed to promote HTDAAB. Sometimes, they are as good in business as they are in music.

So my outlook towards HTDAAB has been generally positive. Sure, I do disagree with the audio quality and am not too fond of Love And Peace but that's about it. Unlike everyone else here who are so negative and cunning that they cleverly disguise negative posts with positive thread titles.

So I say to you Hello Angel, point me to a thread concerning this new album that I started that is negative or complaining. Sometimes I am irked by people who accuse me of extreme negativity when I am in fact generally positive towards U2.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I think I shouldn't have titled the thread NEGATIVITY but more about complaining. I haven't really complained about the new album. As a matter of fact, my threads are quite positive. Of course I have some qualms but my general outlook has been positive.

You will never find a post of me saying the following:
-complaining about Bono's hairstyle and headgear
-saying Vertigo is catchy but no substance
-calling Are You Gonna Wait Forever substandard
-lambasting U2 for miming the CD UK and TOTP performance
-complaining about too much CGI in the Vertigo vid
-criticizing HTDAAB as "playing it safe"
-questioned the tracklisting order of HTDAAB
-complained about lack of lyrics in the limited edition
-questioned the inclusion and exclusion of some album tracks
-preferred demo versions of songs over album versions
-etc. etc. etc.

But yes, I still am full of complaints. I complained as to why Clayton was excluded from BandAid this time. I keep on disagreeing when some forum members start to compare U2 to hacks like Radiohead and Coldplay and get to a point of being negative. I say the album is too good that it would make a perfect final album for U2 and people dismiss that as negativity since I am discussing U2's demise. Hey, I have never started a "Mercy gushing thread" which is really a "HTDAAB Track Selection Bashing thread" in sheep's clothing.

Also, I have generally been praise at the business strategies and marketing gimmicks U2 have employed to promote HTDAAB. Sometimes, they are as good in business as they are in music.

So my outlook towards HTDAAB has been generally positive. Sure, I do disagree with the audio quality and am not too fond of Love And Peace but that's about it. Unlike everyone else here who are so negative and cunning that they cleverly disguise negative posts with positive thread titles.

So I say to you Hello Angel, point me to a thread concerning this new album that I started that is negative or complaining. Sometimes I am irked by people who accuse me of extreme negativity when I am in fact generally positive towards U2.

Cheers,

J

I have to be fair: all Jick's posts that i read are quite positive. All posts but those where he bashes Pop. The guy hates Pop, but he's entitled to have his opinion, like aussie fan would say.

I never saw Jick as a negative guy.

jick said:

In fairness Jick - I quite enjoy some of the threads and issues you bring up about U2's stuff, even though I disagree with alot of it (especially one about Adam being unnecessary or something).

When I asked you where you draw a distinction, I wasn't indicating you were being negative about the new album, I was just wondering where you draw a distinction between some issues you bring to the table that draw fire, and the people who have issues with the new album.

For what it's worth, I really don't mind people questioning moves U2 makes - I find that is the very reason *for* discussion forums and I welcome critique about U2 because of it. I don't think we are all here to be lapdogs to the band.

Anyone taking this thread seriously or taking
jick seriously altogether is pretty stupid. We all know he is responsible for 90% of the negativity on this board, he is just doing this to gather even more attention. His motives are pretty damn obvious people! Hmm, I wonder what he'll do next to continue his 'shock and awe' campaign on these boards?

jick, i heard that Edge called you a terrorist.:wink:

in all honesty, i've never had a problem with jick's posts. at least his criticism is constructive, and, IMO, has never been insulting to the people who disagree.

mikal said:
jick, i heard that Edge called you a terrorist.:wink:

in all honesty, i've never had a problem with jick's posts. at least his criticism is constructive, and, IMO, has never been insulting to the people who disagree.

I never insult others yet the Edge insults me? Hahaha! That was the fake Edge. It was a major Interference blunder but let's move on from that fiasco.

Cheers,

J

You know, I think a lot of people have come to judge jick far too quickly nowadays. Yes, sometimes he says things that almost everyone here disagrees with. Yes, sometimes he comes across in ways that cause people to respond aggressively. Yes, we all know the allegations.

However, I think people need to stop discarding any post he writes. Ignore screen names for a minute, please. It's my opinion that jick has made some very insightful and valuable posts lately. I am coming to value his presence on these forums.

I may be flamed and called an idiot for this, but I don't care.

Jick, you're a funny guy. I was really upset about bad stuff going on in my family, and your post gave me the first good laugh I've had today. Long live Jick! :laugh: :lmao: :lmao:

Jicks posts are fine-He almost posts from a detached, emotionless point of view, and there's nothing wrong with that.

jick said:

What has happened? This is supposed to be a good time to be a U2 fan. HTDAAB is getting rave reviews and U2 has finally brought forth an album that has linked the great divide between the POP worshippers and ATYCLB fans.

Dunno what has happened. U2 dissappeared I guess.

sallycinnamon78 said:
Jick, you're a funny guy. I was really upset about bad stuff going on in my family, and your post gave me the first good laugh I've had today. Long live Jick! :laugh: :lmao: :lmao:

Wow, this thread was so long ago. Why'd you resurrect it?

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Please Stop All The NEGATIVITY about U2! Please!

zooroper said:

Dunno what has happened. U2 dissappeared I guess.

This is a resurrected thread. There are other more pressing issues to discuss now.

During the time I started the thread, this board was full of negative stuff about the new album like: the track order is not right; Miracle Drug just does nothing for me; Yahweh is the worst closing song; Fast Cars should have been in all versions of the albums; Mercy was an unforgivable omissions, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

The forum was full of whiners who had nothing but negative things to say about U2. So I started the thread to right the ship. But right now this thread is no longer relevant, kinda like how POP is nothing more than a blip or footnote in U2's storied career thus far.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Please Stop All The NEGATIVITY about U2! Please!

jick said:

So I started the thread to right the ship. But right now this thread is no longer relevant, kinda like how POP is nothing more than a blip or footnote in U2's storied career thus far.

Cheers,

J

I became a U2 fan thanks to POP.

Blip.

jick said:

Wow, this thread was so long ago. Why'd you resurrect it?

Cheers,

J

Because I felt like it. I'm free to do so if I wanna! I didn't force you to reply. :)

:yawn:

Next please....

I agree with Jick. All of you do yourselves a favor and lose yourself in the emotions of HTDAAB. It's a rare thing. It should be coveted. This album is something special.

Jick has obviously pulled a U2 off. Pulling a U2 off means doing something completely different or opposite of what you've been doing... like releasing a brilliant, experimental, adventurous and completely original CD like Pop and then crashing down to earth with a disappointment that is All The Talent We Left Behind.

unnamed_streets said:
Jick has obviously pulled a U2 off. Pulling a U2 off means doing something completely different or opposite of what you've been doing... like releasing a brilliant, experimental, adventurous and completely original CD like Pop and then crashing down to earth with a disappointment that is All The Talent We Left Behind.

Brilliant, experimental and adventurous? You must be talking about Zooropa.

POP was calculated to be a pop record - to be ear candy to all the listeners. U2 figured that the "in" music during that time that made it to mainstream was techno trip-hop like The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and Beck. So they tried to incorporate these sounds into their music - and it was a grave miscalculation. U2 make calculated music all the time but miscalculated with POP. POP became a commercial failure.

U2 then realized that they don't do well when they are trying to rip-off other artists so they went back to doing their own sound with ATYCLB.

As my analogy went in terms of album impact, POP were the animals running scared, ATYCLB was the magnitude 9 earthquake, while HTDAAB was the tsunami.

But we are veering too far off topic. Let's stop talking about the dark and negative times for U2. Let's talk about happier times ...now in the 00's! HTDAAB is a great album with a great closing song. It puts POP to shame.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom