People are starting to hate Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting thing I want to point out here, too-okay, so from what some of you here are saying, some Americans out there are getting upset because an Irish guy is commenting on the way we do things, getting involved in our country's business. And yet America has been known for voicing its opinions on what other countries are doing, and for getting involved in other countries' business...so if we can do that, I see no reason why Bono can't.

People are funny sometimes.

Angela

Muggsy said:
for me... bono is loosing credibility (is that the word??), i mean, one thing is hearing what he says on his songs and stuff, but another is seeing him talking about politics.

if you ask me (well yeah, i know you're not asking me) i don't like to see bono with that people and talking about politics and charity and that stuff. but that doesn't mean i don't respect him. besides he's doing what he wants and he has the right to do it... is he doing the right thing?? i don't know.

i don't think that people who "hates" bono is just because they're jealous or stupid... if someone doesn't like U2 it doesn't mean that person is stupid.. I think is hard to see a "celebrity" talking about relevant topics and people doesn't like to see their future in the hands of a rock singer...

I agree

Word to Angela. American politics certainly do affect the rest of the world, so I think Bono and other non-Americans can definitely have their say in what's going on if they want to.

BluberryPoptart said:
Yeah, I know all of you keep saying how he's always had his haters, but this is different because these ppl are fans who all of a sudden just now started hating him. They didn't hate him for Live Aid or Jubilee.

I am curious to know who these people are and if they will speak here why they suddenly "Hate" bono and hate U2. Are you one of those people, just asking out of curiousity 'cause I am interested in your opinion.

ramblin rose said:
[

The bottom line is that some people will dislike him for what he is doing while others will actually start to like him for standing up for what he believes in.

[/B]

I admire Bono for standing up for what he believes in even if I do not agree 100%.

Bono's shades said:
It seems bizarre to me that a celebrity would have to worry about tarnishing his or her public image if they try to do something to help people who are suffering. It's a sad commentary on the world today.

It is sad but it is the reality in being a celebrity. Look what happened with the Dixie Chicks in England 'cause they spoke out about Bush. Record labels and the insiders care very much on the image of the celebrity they are trying to sell. It is part of the business.

forbonou2 said:
:sigh: Well, all I will add to this is, people are passionate about politics, so they will feel strongly about issues and causes, etc. Bono, is definetly one of them, and as he 'plays both sides of the field' for More focus on Aides, Debt reduction, etc.., I respect him for it. I have not always agreed with Bono, but at least he does not sit around complaining about things in the world, and makes no move to do anything! And I agree, Bono is not writting about God, Christianity to make himself More popular! It doesn't work that way!! And to blue-this has happened to the Band and Bono more than you know, fans leave, fans stay. then there are those that Just discovered them..go figure? :huh:

Once again, another intelligent comment posted by you :)
He does a lot more than other rock stars who just talk about it. He walks his walk and that is what I have always respected about Bono as a person. He puts his money where his mouth is so to speak.

jick said:
While Bono usually means well, his egotistical nature and lack of humility does lend itself to some resentment. Bono has ego and spine. He is not the goody nice guy harmless type. He's no Eminem or Dennis Rodman either, but he comes off as arrogant to non-U2 fans who don't quite understand his ego. The way Bono carries himself really begs for non-U2 fans to just hate, resent, or be jealous of him. But that doesn't matter as long as it doesn't affect his songwriting.

Cheers,

J

What you wrote, though, can be applied to virtually anyone in politics or the entertainment industry. For every person that finds, oh say, Mel Gibson entertaining, there will be those who don't understand him, like or or his ego/sense of humor. The same is true with W., Kerry, Clinton, Bush #1, Eminem, Tom Cruise, etc., etc.

It was already stated brilliantly that those who are complaining the most fall into one of three basic categories:
  • they never liked Bono or U2 (their loss);
  • they feel that Bono is just "another liberal - like all actors/musicians" (and thank God, because look at how messed up the country is under conservative leadership);
  • they are horribly offended that some Irishman dare get involved in U.S. politics (even though these people are usually the same ones that never vote).

It's natural for some people to get pissed off with Bono. He's a high-profile celebrity, and he recently did something with a controversial politician. I'm not surprised that this pissed some people off. I'm not familiar with the controversies, actually. There hasn't been anything in our newspapers here in Alabama about this. USA Today may have mentioned something but I don't read it on a regular basis so I wouldn't know. I'm not worried about this. If it had been a major problem I would have heard something about it. It's transient and people will forget about it.

Last edited:
The way I see it is, I would rather see Bono smoke, use four letter words, stand up and sing for what he believes in, get religious, get social, get political, piss off people, encourage people, pray to God publicly or privately, and use his stance as a public figure for good instead of hearing him constantly preaching and bitching about the world's condition and then sitting back and doing nothing.

If there's one thing I hate it's preachy rock stars. *ahem...Eddie Vedder * In my opinion, only 3 bands have successfully meshed politics with music: Bob Marley, The Clash and U2. Everyone else has failed miserably.

Bono through his deep dedication and hardwork in championing the causes of neglected and oppressed people has earned his right to be ridiculous, to act like a rock star when he needs to, to be silly in public, and to support who ever he wants to because in the end, he puts his money where his mouth is .

How many rock stars have started organizations like DATA, and the One campaign?

How many rock stars have moved with their wives to Ethiopia and El Salvador and lived there amidst the poverty and witnessed first hand, what lack of basic necessities can do to entire villages and people's psyche?

How many rock stars have given economic lectures at Harvard on "hip conditionality"?

How many rock stars have pushed for legislations in their own country and abroad that calls for fair trade, access to generic medication, and the building of necessary infrastructure for developing countries?

How many rock stars have been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize?

How many have been given a Civil Rights Award?

Celebrities think its trendy to be associated with a "cause" because it's "cool," and it's good publicity. Bono's charitable efforts are not causes, they are global emergencies. He's not doing this for publicity, or because its cool. It's not a neat marketing ploy to sell U2 records, he's doing this because he believes it's the Christian thing to do; the human thing to do, the right thing to do.

If people have issues with a man who has spent over 15 years of his life helping those in need then they need to ask themselves one simple question:

What have *I* done to change the world lately?

There's no us, just them.

The sooner we get that, the sooner we can start to make a difference. :heart:

Soulrock2 said:

No. Where were you in the eighties? I don't see any difference. The only thing is that back then there weren't any message boards or forums that you could use "to prove" your assumption.
I agree

I honestly don't think the number of Bono haters has grown at all

angel_of_L.A. - :bow:

You have wonderfully synthesized SO MUCH of what so many of us have been trying to say. :wink:

Bono is a TRULY GREAT human being. He has given his heart and Soul SO MANY TIMES to help others, uplift others and encourage others, whether they are U2 "fans" or people in some part of the world who have no idea who Bono is. :up:

Bono gives of himself unselfishlessly, unconditionally and with humility. He expects nothing in return for the Love that he gives ALL of us excep that we give the same kindness to each other. :angel:

I HONESTLY can't imagine what anyone could find so wrong with Bono that they would need to hate him. I guess I'll pull a Dr. Phil moment here and say that when we STRONGLY feel something wrong with someone else, it's normally because we feel the same way about ourselves. It's called PROJECTION....

Anyway, angel, you have done a BEAUTIFUL post here as to WHY Bono is an honorable man and is DESERVING OF OUR RESPECT.:hug:

And, as I have always posted when people get so negative about a situation - what are YOU DOING to make the world a BETTER place?

Ultimately, it's NOT what Bono does with his life that should be important to us.

It's what we're doing with our own lives that should be important to us.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Thank you Jamila, for your kind words.

I have to tell you that I've been reading a lot of your posts and you are a truly kind spirit. You do wonderful work with AIDS patients and you stand up for what you believe in with conviction and dignity.

Keep up the good work sister. It's benevolent people like you who will one day change the world. :hug:

I have to agree with your post as well, angel_of_L.A., particularly the part about how a lot of people who are all cynical about Bono and stuff are the same ones who probably haven't done a whole heck of a lot to help people themselves. One other band I just thought of while reading your post and reading your list of artists who've successfully meshed politics and music-what about Midnight Oil? From what I understand, they've done a hell of a lot to help people, too...don't know what your views on them are, though.

Anywho, yeah...good post :up:.

Angela

angel_of_L.A. - it takes a TRULY GOOD person to recognize that in someone else. :wink:

Believe me, after some of the cheap shots I've been ducking lately - I can appreciate someone who is willing to come forward and risk rejection by others for supporting the VALIDITY of the things I say.:hug:

I KNOW that there are A LOT of posters who agree with me (and others) who are STRONG enough IN OUR CONVICTIONS and in the work that we are DOING to help make our world a better place.

And that's why I selectively post in some of these threads - to show posters that some of us are actually in the trenches of social change and to give them encouragement to get out in the real world and make it better themselves!:yes:

As Bono says "it's not what you're dreaming, it's what you're going to do".:angel:

Your point of view is always made MORE CREDIBLE when you're actually walking your talk! :bono: :love:

I can't imagine that most of us who discovered U2 in the early 80's in part because they were Christians, like ourselves, haven't ridden the roller coaster of Bono's public life outside of U2.

I remember an interview on the Loop here in Chicago in the 80's where Bono was asked, "So, U2 is about a belief in spirituality?" He answered pointedly, "No, we believe in Jesus Christ." Later, Bono was talking about humanity's potential, and how, when children are constantly told they come from animals that they start acting that way. The radio guys asked, "So you don't beleive that man just crawled out of the slime one day?" Bono: "No, I don't think so."

In 2003, at Cornerstone, a Christian music and arts festival in Illinois, Bono sent a taped personal message shown from the stage speaking not as a "rock star", but as "the Church", about the AIDS epidemic.

Then, he acts like a 10-year-old, using the F-word on live TV; or challenges other conventional forms of public decency. Why?

One thing I appreciate most about Bono is that he is not someone who just writes about issues. He is compelled to get involved, or at least touch it in some way. He has repeatedly visited places where people are in the midst of war. He has taken heads of state to places in the third world where children are dying of AIDS. He has made a difference by persuading world leaders to come to the table or to think about the issue with common sense.

But he seems often at odds with his own faith, and I think has even said so often in various ways, especially in some songs. It is interesting that he has been quoted on a couple of occasions that he believes in a woman's right to choose abortion, but has never been outspoken or used his celebrity to influence that sissue.

Perhaps he realizes that so much of U2's fan base, like myslef, and many Irish, are very Pro Life. Several years ago Bruce Cockburn's fan base dropped off a lot after he started working with the Rock For Choice people. He may not have realized how much of his support was from Christians. Personally, I don't see drinking, smoking, swearing, etc., as being huge issues. It is so cultural. Where I live, in semi-urban Illinois, most Christians simply don't drink because of so much alcoholism and outreach to people whose lives have been ruined by drinking. But I understand it is different other places.

But it breaks my heart when someone of Christian faith is unable to understand, or fails to see, the obvious injustice by denying unborn babies the right to live!

"No-one, no-one is blinder
"Than he who will not see.
"No-one, no-one is blinder
"Than me."
- I Threw A Brick Through A Window, October

Sometimes I have suspected that Bono goes through his own roller coaster where he believes that responsible stewardship requires him to be an activist ? to use what God has given him, including his celebrity, to make any kind of difference possible. Then, there is a fear that people will look to him or worship him, which would nullify the purpose of his actions, at least in his mind. So he says F*** on live TV or uses an irreverant or lewd gesture on stage to throw fans off the track, to say, "See, I'm not a good person. I do these things."

"Go find yourself in someone else
"Don't find yourself in me
"I can't lift you up again
"Love comes tumbling down again."
? Love Comes Tumbling Down Again

U2 has remained my favorite band through it all. Maybe it is like the ZooTV video screens and 90% of what Bono and U2 say and do is meaningless background for the occasional confession of faith or allusion to the Savior, like a subliminal altar call. Two perfect examples are in MoFo, slang for mother f***er, is the lyric, "lookin' for to fill that God-shaped hole" and in Wake Up Dead Man, a brilliant dialogue between a lost soul and his savior, "Jesus, Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world, And a f***ed-up world it is too."

Other examples: "Open up to the love of God" and "Believe it - Jesus is coming," from Tomorrow; "Claim the victory Jesus won" from Sunday Bloody Sunday; "You broke the bonds, And you loosed the chains, Carried the cross of my shame, Oh my shame, you know I believe it." I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For; Drowning Man; Love Comes to Town; Grace.

Like the "angel in devil's shoes", maybe Bono wantes to slip the Gospel to people without anyone ever being able to know where it came from, as if knowing would get in the way of Jesus.

Sorry, just rambling. Have had these thoughts for years, and few of my friends are U2 fans anymore (or rather, my friends who are U2 fans no longet live near me.)

Last edited:
isabelle_guns said:
With that being said, I appreciate what Bono is doing fighting the cause in Africa but there are other issues in the world. Whether Bono feels those issues are important or not is another story but he is entitled to his opinion none the less.

Yes, there are other issues in the world; other diseases to eradicate, other impoverished areas of the world (India, anyone?), etc. But Bono's only one person. He cannot save the world; indeed, this one cause seems to be taking a lot out of him. But he's doing what he can because it's the right thing to do. :yes:

Thanks, ssviland, for your ideas - it's good to get new people's ideas in our forums.:wink:

You are correct - Bono does not consider himself important or a hero or a "savior" to anyone, whether the people in Africa or any of us U2 fans/followers! :ohmy:

He probably did write those lines in "Love Comes Tumbling" and "Always" to remind us all of that.

What BONO DOES TAKE SERIOUSLY IS THE UNNECESSARY SUFFERING OF PEOPLE - especially that of the poorest and most vunerable amongst us in the world. :yes:

That sense of moral Justice probably does come from his STRONG, INHERENT SENSE OF LOVE FOR GOD, as revealed to him in the Bible, especially the New Testament.

So when we flippently criticize the B-man for the things he does to help this world to be a bettter place for ALL, we have to realize that we are also criticizing his motivator - the New Testament which tells us to go out and demonstrate to others EXACTLY the kinds of Loving and unselfish behaviors that Bono does. :ohmy:

So we really have to be CAREFUL how we criticize the B-man - he's working for a Higher Authority than any of us here. :angel:

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: ;) :hug:

I think all of you are making very strong, well-put comments/posts. What we need to be careful of though, so that everyone can participate and feel welcome - is that we do not browbeat each other when speaking of God and wanting to crusade for X causes due to a sense of "moral justice." I am agnostic, and that has never stopped me from having a high sense of morals and ethics, nor has it stopped me from helping everyone I can around me find some peace and feel some love.

While religion might be where Bono found his moral roots -- it doesn't mean that that is always the best, nonarguable place people have found their sense of moral roots. Millions of people find many things in religious roots that will speak to them and who they are in life - for better or for worse.

I guess all I'm saying is, while I respect those of you who are passionate about your religious beliefs, use your words carefully so that you don't ostracize those of us who do not have religious beliefs but yet hold onto a high sense of morals.

I guess these feelings of the 'people' have been pushed to the background with the Vote For Change tour (and related concerts). I think that is a good sign, before the media blitz that is starting in September/October.

Moonlit_Angel said:
One other band I just thought of while reading your post and reading your list of artists who've successfully meshed politics and music-what about Midnight Oil? From what I understand, they've done a hell of a lot to help people, too...don't know what your views on them are, though.

Anywho, yeah...good post :up:.

Angela

Ah, thanks for reminding me of Midnight Oil, Moonlit. You're right, they too are another great band that has used their public positions for good without coming off as preachy or self-righteous. :)

I really don't think he's alining himself with either party, for he will be a the Repulbican Convention also. Like I said on this same issue, different post......He's just paving his way for which ever one he'll have to deal with after the election. People say, why doesn't he just write a big fat check for the cause, and go home.
Well, it's becuase even his Big Fat Check can't stop the virus in Africa. It needs to be a group effort amoung countries. Same with Drop The Debt......Jubilee 2000. After all , everyone's time IS money. If you could even come up with a figure that Bono would be worth per hour, well then, you'll see that he's contributed way more than people realize. And I think whether writing the big fat check, or spreading the sad news about Africa on his own time were a choice..........the way he is going about it is by far more
beneficial and is making people more aware. I find it somewhat admirable that he can be this cool, charming and charismatic Rock Star and be able to deal with political issues too. So in the end
we know that, not only is he an awesome musician.......but he's smart too. I know I've learned a thing or too just by listening to him. Can you tell me you haven't?

People can love or hate Bono all they want. They'll still buy his records, they'll still go to U2 concerts... and Bono will forever be associated in their minds with debt relief and AIDS. Isn't that the only thing that matters? Sure it's nice if people remember he's a rock star, but consider this: nowadays, EVERY time Bono is mentioned in the news, there's at least one sentence about AIDS and/or debt relief. The more an issue is talked about (even so briefly), the more familiar it will become to everyone, the more ACCEPTABLE it will be to people (in other words, it becomes more REAL to them).

So now Bono=AIDS/debt relief... heck, why would Bono take a bribe (er, degree) from UPenn (who?) in order to speak at graduation? It was another chance to get publicity for the issues. Why go to the DNC and do interviews (surely knowing that folks would (and have) misinterpreted it as a Kerry endorsement)? Same reason. Why is Bono popping up everywhere (kinda like the gopher in Caddyshack - just when you think you've seen the last of him...)? Even when he went to sing a song at a PRIVATE funeral, the six sentence article had one sentence about his activism. Boom - there's the issue mention again.

Bono Bono Bono, everywhere there's Bono! And everywhere Bono goes, so do the issues of AIDS and debt relief. People are 'starting' to hate Bono because they're sick and tired of seeing him! But that's okay, because even though in the past few years he's had success with politicians (not just in America, but alot of Americans seem to think he's just picking on us), the politicos are still reluctant to follow through on their promises because their constituents don't feel these things are relevant to them.

Getting the average Joe to accept that the crisis in Africa is a tough sell, so Bono is resorting to a politician's old trick - it doesn't matter if people like you as long as they are familiar with your name. That's why politicians advertise so frikking much in this country (don't know how it is elsewhere) - just getting the name out there over and over again makes people more 'comfortable' with them. It's a proven fact that name recognition alone can get someone elected (never mind the issues).

So Bono is pounding the streets, getting that recognition ingrained in everyone's mind. Let people hate him... they'll still become aware of the problems at hand, and they'll be more accepting that something really does need to be done about it.

And on a slightly different note, I am pro-Bush and have absolutely no problem with Bono showing up at the DNC. I think it's kind of amusing really... any other rock stars who have gone to such events do so to show their support for the candidate. Bono, as always, has to buck that trend and be the elephant in the living room...

}:)~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom