OOTS - Who's it written for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImOuttaControl

Refugee
I keep seeing people saying all over that OOTS is a song Bono wrote for Edges daughter....In this 60 minutes interview from March of '01, Bono sings OOTS in the car and the woman who interviewed him said it was a work in progress, a song he wrote about his 3 children. I doubt she would have just made that up out of thin air, I mean Bono probably said "I wrote this for my children."

Here's a link:
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2001_03_04/story_297.asp

Is there somewhere in more recent interviews where Bono says strait out it was written for Edges daughter? I'm confused why in '01 it would have been written for Bono's children, then all the sudden in '04 it was written for Edges daughter...

Edge made a comment about it in an interview. That's where people are getting it, I believe.

However, Bono did say in the 60 Minutes piece that he wrote it for his children.

Maybe it's a little of both.

I've read/heard at various points that it's for one of Edge's daughters, for Bono's daughter Eve, and for Bono's kids in general. And to confuse things even more, in this general interview thing given to the press that's up at u2tour.de, Bono says this about the song:

Original Of The Species is a very special song for me, it’s a beautiful, melodic journey. Most songs go A B A B C D. Pop songs and rock and roll songs are very simple structures, but that melody keeps changing, A B C D, A B C D, I think is the way it goes, and it’s about seeing some people who are ashamed of their bodies, in particular teenagers with eating disorders, not feeling comfortable with themselves and their sexuality. I’m just saying to them, you are one of a kind, you are the first one of your kind, you’re an original of the species..."You feel like no one before, you steal right under my door, I kneel ‘cause I want you some more, I want the lot of what you’ve got, and I want nothing that you’re not, everywhere you go you shout it, you don’t have to be shy about it”. So it’s a "be who you are”, and I can’t wait to play it live. Edge plays some extraordinary piano which got the complexity to the verses, to balance that anthem.

Interesting...

Last edited:
He wrote it about me. I'm spilling the beans. Interference exclusive. Bono is also sitting right next to me. Say hi, Bono.

"Hello, mates."

Thanks, Bono.

"No problem, Michael. Do you like punk rock made on Venus?"

Yes.

"Me too. F***in' brilliant!"

Miggy D said:
He wrote it about me. I'm spilling the beans. Interference exclusive. Bono is also sitting right next to me. Say hi, Bono.

"Hello, mates."

Thanks, Bono.

"No problem, Michael. Do you like punk rock made on Venus?"

Yes.

"Me too. F***in' brilliant!"

lol yeah thats right, and walt disney and kurt cobain are here with me!

and while were at it why dont we mention that jesus is on his way

*rolls eyes*

Dude, Jesus is here at my place! I'm actually quite buzzed. He turned all my calistoga water into wine as a prank. That Jesus! Such a joker.

I read in an article that he wrote it about Holly, Edge's oldest daughter because she was the first of all of the children.

Original

I think he wrote it for his kids, but seeing as he is Holly's godfather and Edge probably as close as family, he probably regards Edge's kids as his own (in that he loves them as much). So, I think it is dedicated to Edge's Holly because she was the 'original' of the originals of the species!

BTW, how old would Holly be now??

Miggy D said:
Dude, Jesus is here at my place! I'm actually quite buzzed. He turned all my calistoga water into wine as a prank. That Jesus! Such a joker.

No he's at mine. We're getting ready to go out a bury dinosaur fossils in the desert to fool the evolutionists some more. As Jesus says "Flying lizards, if you believe that you'll believe anything".*

*with apologies to the late great Bill Hicks.

Back
Top Bottom