OMG!!! Tour rumour!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonboy

Refugee
I was reading an article that announced that Metallica will play the 50000 capacity Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg Sweden Next Summer and I was like, cool I will be there....but then came those lines that got my pulse rate up to about 300.......

It basically says:

"Well now we just have to wait and see if there will be more concerts at Ullevi this summer and who will be playing....The odds for it being a fairly known orchestra from Ireland that starts with a U and ends with a 2 is VERY VERY low".........:shocked:

For those of you who can read swedish here is the article in full:

U2 to Sweden??

So does that mean the odds aren't good that they'll be playing in Ullevi. Like, they WON'T be playing in Ullevi? That kinda confused me.

Yeah, The whole tone of that part of the article sounds like he is almost certain that they will play....Like he has gotten confirmation from an inside source or something....

Hmmm, the tone of that rumor is indeed suspicious... I suppose U2 won't play arenas again on next tour?

OMG? I fail to see what Paul McGuinness changing his name to Oliver has to do with a tour.

</sarcasm>

It's December, no word of a single release date or radio play date even announced yet.... no album on the 'new music' list, and the buzz machine hasn't even started....

My bet....
Next fall we get an album, with possibly some 'featured' performances next summer as promo.... Tour 2005.

Elvis said:
It's December, no word of a single release date or radio play date even announced yet.... no album on the 'new music' list, and the buzz machine hasn't even started....

My bet....
Next fall we get an album, with possibly some 'featured' performances next summer as promo.... Tour 2005.

Sure...quash the hopes and dreams of us all. :sad:

Why would they wait until next fall to release an album that everyone says is almost finished??? :confused:

we are all fucked! i think elvis is right. dany is in the studio! looks like they are going to go over everything.

its a good thing im into different music right now.
guns n roes here i come weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

martha said:
Right now a road trip to Sweden sounds so fucking good.

I've never been and i could go look for andreas nylander who was the love of my life in first grade but then he moved back to sweden never to be heard from again.

flaming june said:
Why would they wait until next fall to release an album that everyone says is almost finished??? :confused:

First, just because rumors say the album is done..... doesnt mean it is.

Even if it was done, albums aren't released as soon as an artist finishes them:
A release is timed according to when other artists are releasing or arent releasing, as well as when a marketing plan is developed and set into action, as well as when a supporting tour will be ready to go.

But things that should be considered about THIS album:
Chris Thomas, the original (and experimental) producer for this album hasnt been mentioned in quite awhile.... now they've broght back the big guns 'Danny'. Obviously they weren't happy with how things were going previously.

If rumors are true about a stadium tour, and I'll wager that they are.... I also would wager that this tour will be a bit more 'grand' and rank up there with a large production, somewhere between popmart and zootv. It is also likely that this will be a a real World Tour, which Elevation failed to be. For many places in the world, U2 has been absent for 7-8 years.

Timing.... like the olympics, and US presidential elections, U2 seems to launch a new LP about every 4 yrs.

Timing again, IF this will indeed be a world tour, it will most likely be much longer than the abbreviated Elevation tour. By the end of the tour, this would place the band members in their mid to late 40s.... do you really think they'll do another large scale world tour when their 50something? While I'd love to see it, I think it's doubtful. Stadiums will allow for more peple, for everyone that wants (and can afford) to see the band live, possibly in this venue, for one last time. I'm not saying this will be their last album.... but I wouldnt be at all shocked to not hear of another massive tour again, if this will indeed fill that description.

U2 wants to go out ON TOP, with the most memorable album, with the most amazing tour, they dont want to be around to produce crap, they've said so themselves. Artists always want to do better than they have before, and be remembered for it...

If this album is anything less than absolutely amazing, cutting edge, and socially relevant... I have to be honest and say that I'm sure to lose interest quickly. The same goes for the tour. U2 is a show, and while hearing the music at an Elevation SHOW was amazing, it was a show most of us were paying for and had expected due to expectations set by the previous zootv and popmart tours. Heck, I just saw Simon and Garfunkle and was more entertained by their lighting than Elevation's.

I'm just being realistic.

Momentarily I felt the crushing weight of everyone expectations and it was really scary... I just wish we knew something like a press release would come and say "calm the f**k down kids it is going to be awhile love and kisses U2"

Well, I think if the album wasn't going to be finished by March (Spring 2004) I think they could have mentioned it by now.

Recording orchestra on 3 songs and just bringing Lanois in for a week or so could also mean they're finishing. (hence all the silence lately. remember McGuiness said something about finishing the album by Christmas) I'm guessing Chris Thomas is still around...?

I agree, they're probably going for a stadium tour - I'm not sure they'd play arenas twice in a row. (except maybe if album had bad sales. having said that I wish they'd use the momentum they haid on Elevation - which had great lighting IMO - and played stadiums)
We'll see how the world tour odds will look like - what with the economic and terrorist situation in the world - I know Stones and Limp Bizkit canceled shows on their tours.

The real concern is, can U2 in their 40s make a stadium tour that will match or - dare I say it - top Zoo tv? Can they really make an album that will match JT or AB? Aren't our expectations too high?

Gahh the subject header got my hopes up far too high. :p

I'm itching for a road trip next summer, I hope something comes out soon about their new album if it is going to come out in the Spring. :\

Suspense is a killer for me.

Back
Top Bottom