Ok, who does and who doesn't like POP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by U2fan42:
POP is U2's 3rd best album, and if Miami was replaced by Holy Joe, POP just might compete with JT and AB.

um, not on yer life...miami is just fine where it is
tongue.gif

I think I'm somewhere in between. I like some of it, but like someone else mentioned already, I can't listen to it straight through. It had some great songs, and some of their worst too.

I totally love POP. It's incredibly brilliant, and shows that U2 are not scared to take on new challenges and blow the envelope wide open. It's the album that turned me from a fan into a fanatic, and I really can't emphasize it's importance in the U2 catalog. Some of their finest moments are captured on it, and it would be hard to imagine the band without it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

POP.jpg

------------------
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
but why, why, why can't it be, oh, can't it be mine?

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I like most of the songs but it's not my favorite album.

------------------
"It's all about drums."

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"Tonight with us, we have people who turned celebrity on its head. Celebrities are supposed to be somebody special, film stars, rock stars, we're celebrities. Supposed to be heroes, but we're not heroes. We're very selfish people who enjoy what they do, thank you very much. But here tonight we have from the fire department of New York City, from the police department of New York City, men and women that came down to catch the U2 show tonight. Theirs is the kind of bravery that can truly change the world." --Bono, Notre Dame, October 10, 2001

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

I refuse to answer the question in this post on the grounds that scatteroflight's head might explode upon reading my (very worn out) defense of POP
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
And I feel like I'm slowly slowly slowly slipping under.

And I feel like I'm holding onto nothing.

ADAM (talking about Elevation):
"I like it, it's very hard to play live...(starts smiling) I don't understand what it's about, it's good."

POP sucks shit. It's the worst thing U2 ever did. It's a frigging disgrace. It makes me sick. Now let's move on to another more worthy album.

------------------
Pop is not a dance album- it's a dense album, but not a dance album.

I'm a huge fan of POP!

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

POP of the TOPS, or maybe POP is the TOPS
tongue.gif

I love it, yes, said it about 15 times before on this feckin board, but hey, I love it, si I'll say it again
biggrin.gif

Did I mention it was the 1 that converted me into U2?

IMO mediocre album considering U2's catalogue

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I love Gone, Please, Last Night On Earth and Staring at the sun. That's it. The rest of the album could have been made by a pack of wild drunk monkeys
smile.gif

I feel like posting this bit of an article from USA TODAY, Dec 4th 2001 (today, LOL):

First the interviewer:

While U2 has yet to hang itself creatively or commercially, the band
was shaken by the lukewarm critical reaction to 1997's techno-enhanced
Pop and subsequent irony-rich stadium tour. The album sold 7 million
copies. Popmart, the year's top-grossing U.S. tour, sold 4 million
tickets around the globe.

Now Bono?s quote:

"That's a failure?" Bono wonders aloud. "In Europe, Popmart was seen as
an absolutely groundbreaking pop-art milestone. Here, it was seen as a
flop. I don't like our musical experiments being seen as indulgent. They
are the reason we're here. They give you new life. Curiosity and
stretching out are crucial to any writer's life."

That said, my answer is I love Pop.
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Originally posted by popkidu2:
I refuse to answer the question in this post on the grounds that scatteroflight's head might explode upon reading my (very worn out) defense of POP
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That was actually quite considerate of you
biggrin.gif

My head almost did explode when I read what pub crawler wrote, but then I realized that was the idea. I'm a great target for something like that
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, even if I really liked Pop--ok, if I loved it I probably wouldn't mind the fact that it gets talked about all the time. But there's just TOO MUCH, people. I think it's partly because it's still quite recent. To me, Zooropa should really be a more controversial album. Some people love it--lots of people love it--and some hate it but it doesn't seem to provoke the huge discussions and flame wars that Pop does. I like Pop better because it has several songs I genuinely like, whereas Zooropa has two or three at most.

But it's frustrating for someone like me to see Pop constantly held up to be the misunderstood genius of the U2 family, while albums like October and even War are the poor cousins that seldom get mentioned. Far from being the most underrated album, on this forum at least, Pop has GOT to be the most overrated album--simply because hundreds of people are constantly leaping to its defense and going on about how it's the most underrated! Or what about a song like Indian Summer Sky? It gets mentioned, what, every five years or so? While a song like Mofo, which I absolutely cannot endure, is constantly held up as one of the greatest examples of U2's genius. I like ISS more than anything on Pop.

See why some of us get annoyed??

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-04-2001).]

The album is awesome.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
That was actually quite considerate of you
biggrin.gif

My head almost did explode when I read what pub crawler wrote, but then I realized that was the idea. I'm a great target for something like that
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, even if I really liked Pop--ok, if I loved it I probably wouldn't mind the fact that it gets talked about all the time. But there's just TOO MUCH, people. I think it's partly because it's still quite recent. To me, Zooropa should really be a more controversial album. Some people love it--lots of people love it--and some hate it but it doesn't seem to provoke the huge discussions and flame wars that Pop does. I like Pop better because it has several songs I genuinely like, whereas Zooropa has two or three at most.

But it's frustrating for someone like me to see Pop constantly held up to be the misunderstood genius of the U2 family, while albums like October and even War are the poor cousins that seldom get mentioned. Far from being the most underrated album, on this forum at least, Pop has GOT to be the most overrated album--simply because hundreds of people are constantly leaping to its defense and going on about how it's the most underrated! Or what about a song like Indian Summer Sky? It gets mentioned, what, every five years or so? While a song like Mofo, which I absolutely cannot endure, is constantly held up as one of the greatest examples of U2's genius. I like ISS more than anything on Pop.

See why some of us get annoyed??

If it annoys you too much maybe try to avoid these threads! These threads will last longer when people start complaining about them! I don't think its a bad thing to discuss POP.... I just some times wish that people who we obviously know hate it, will just ignore it! It will avoid a lot of stupid arguments.... but then again arguments are good.. when they are not taken too seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I hate POP! I don't want to get into a Popfight but I was heartbroken by Pop. There were reasons I had loved U2 and with POP they destroyed all of them. ATYCLB won me back strong. I really want to write a long diatribe and explain more but my computer will freeze if I try to write a tirade but my vote is no for Pop I hated everything about it!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 12-04-2001).]

Originally posted by SweetOnU2:

If it annoys you too much maybe try to avoid these threads! These threads will last longer when people start complaining about them! I don't think its a bad thing to discuss POP.... I just some times wish that people who we obviously know hate it, will just ignore it! It will avoid a lot of stupid arguments.... but then again arguments are good.. when they are not taken too seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

You have a point, but even if I don't open the thread, I still SEE it--and at this point that's enough for me! (And then I can't resist opening it!
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be just a Pop discussion thread--it was "who likes it, who doesn't?" which has been done sooooooo many times and very obviously breeds controversy.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

rolleyes.gif

LOL!
biggrin.gif
I'm sure if Salome saw my post he was about ready to go ballistic on me as well. *mischievous grin*

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be just a Pop discussion thread--it was "who likes it, who doesn't?" which has been done sooooooo many times and very obviously breeds controversy.

Why must anything that has to with POP be controversial? How hard is it to say you hate or like something? It's when people start putting other people's opinion and choice down...that it tends to lead to stupid arguments! (like we have seen in the past)I like debates but I don't like it when people say I shouldn't like something because of BLAH!

I mean there's plenty of posts to look at and chances are that 99% of them are not about POP! I just don't see the big deal! If I don't like something I don't even bother opening it! But that is just me!
smile.gif

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I'd one of the one men out on this one - Pop is my FAVORITE U2 album, to me there isn't a bad song on the entire album. I'm not saying it's their BEST album, it's just my personal favorite. Never get tired of it.

Loved the music, loved the whole feel of that 'era', loved their look, even loved Bono in all his 'shorn' glory too...

The POP album itself was good, but not great. It was a bit of a let down after Achtung Baby and Zooropa for me, but I would still it give it the thumbs up. The Popmart live songs were AMAZING once the band got them down though. Some of the live recordings off the European leg are absolutely incredible. I often wonder what the shows would have been like minus the huge TV screen and the theatrics of Popmart.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

Well as some of you have already said, this is a topic much talked about, but anyways: I love Discotheque, Mofo, IGWSHA, SATS, LNOE, Pleazzzee, IFYWTVD, WUDM, but hate Do You feel Loved, Gone, Maimi as much as I hate Wild Honey and Peace On Earth on the new album...

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

Back
Top Bottom