oh love, like a SCREAMING FLOWER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Alright, the original seems to have gotten killed in the server changeover... and before I could read the replies that I saw there, too!
frown.gif

So, to reiterate... I want to paint "love like a screaming flower/love dying every hour", and I want to specifically focus on said screaming flower, but never having seen a flower scream, I can't but wonder what it would look like. So this is basically an appeal to anyone, especially y'all poet minded types, to give some thought to what a screaming flower would look like.

Any and all comments are greatly welcomed. So long as you don't demand royalties.

Oh yeah and if any one said anything important in any of the previous replies and would like to reiterate it, I would be most greatful
biggrin.gif

If you get the chance, watch Pink Floyd: The Wall. There's a really interesting (for lack of a better word) animated sequence involving flowers.

I think, though, that the screaming flower metaphor (or simile) is used to illustrate that love is a thing of beauty, but it can also be excrutiatingly painful.

SkeeK, I have a very vivid picture of this, let's see if I can describe it. The flower dominates the picture, with some of its petals curled up and others reaching out in "agony." In the middle, you know the round part, is a distorted face, pointed skyward. Eyes, nose mouth in the same dark color. Mouth open in a scream. Flower and surrounding are in shades of purple and blue. That's what comes to my mind, anyway!

Debbie! Strangely enough, you described what is pretty close to what I see in my own head. I am just sort of hesitant to put a proper face in a flower.. especially since I suck at doing faces
wink.gif
. I see the flower in orange, to dark red purply tones, while the background is darker... blues etc.

Lilies to me seem to be one of the more screamy types of flowers for some reason. I also wonder about the stem, and i also want to make the composition alive and dramatic.

Whortense, that image actually seems very much like a screaming flower to me

The other problem I'm having is that when I see it in my head it's always moving! grrr

Wanderer - I think that scene perfectly describes what Bono was getting at. At first it's very tender and sweet, but, as it goes on, it becomes violent and painful, ending with one completely destroying and devouring the other.

yes, it was clever that you thought of that Not Lucas, that's such a vivid scene, even though the animation was done almost 20 years ago, it still looks great

what song was that during? Empty Spaces?

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Whortense, that image actually seems very much like a screaming flower to me

It's a preview of a work in-process for me. I'm doing an unconventional comic. I'll probably be posting it here in this forum when I'm finished.

And, no, the :screamingflower: is not in my comic.
tongue.gif

*whortense is melon

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Perhaps maybe a more cartoonish face would make it easier to draw. Other than that, I had a friend who drew a comic strip in college that featured a talking, walking flower that occassionally screamed or puked after doing way too many shots of tequila-- but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

here's a link of what I'm talking about: http://www.beanbagcentral.com/ccosas/wwwgifs/sonic.gif

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

[This message has been edited by sharky (edited 09-25-2001).]

Wanderer - It was from Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now?, which is, in my opinion, one of the best animated sequences I've ever seen in film, especially since it was pre-CGI.

Originally posted by Screaming Flower:
wink.gif

I was just thinking how cool a nickname that would be!! you must post more and exploit it to the max

Originally posted by SkeeK:
I was just thinking how cool a nickname that would be!! you must post more and exploit it to the max

thanks!! have you come up with any ideas for your painting?

Originally posted by Screaming Flower:
thanks!! have you come up with any ideas for your painting?

sort of but not entirely... I better get on that since the prep sketch is due tomorrow!
eek.gif

Hi SkeeK,

I just read through the two threads about your art project. Kind of makes me wish I had a reason to do some U2 art!

Here's my input on the "screaming flower":

Immediately I thought of the album cover for the album "Bloodletting" by Concrete Blonde. On the cover, the background is black and there is a group of red roses with a white rose in the middle. The white rose has a few drops of blood on its white petals and green leaves.

What does this have to do with a screaming flower? I was thinking that the CB album cover captured the concept of beauty and cruelty which is the essence of So Cruel. Maybe your flower could be very beautiful and bold, but perhaps have some kind of stain or anomaly that makes it unique. You could even put it in the midst of some other flowers, but the screaming flower could stand out in some way, a way in which it is more beautiful than the other flowers, but more dangerous/stained/unique than the others. I saw your preliminary sketch. Very cool. I don't know if my comments will help, but maybe you could apply the concepts to the sketch you already have.

Keep us updated. This is a very exciting project.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom