Of war and peace and our future...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadelynIris

Refugee
How many here think that the line has now been drawn in the sand?

Will our nation forever be the enemy of Islamic fundamentalists? Will we ever be at peace with them?

Are they organized and determined enough to wage long-term war against us?

No matter what your position on our support of Israel was in the past, do you believe that we could ever make peace with the Islamic fundamentalists now that this attack has occurred?

Forgive me if I am lumping all Islamic fundamentalists into one group here, but is it a basic tenet of their beliefs that we are an evil nation? Perhaps not, but can you call yourself an Islamic fundamentalist and not believe that the U.S. is evil? I don't know - somebody clear this up for me.

Thanks,

Mark http://www.mp3.com/madelyniris

We know how to wage a state war... but I'm not sure if that's what this is going to be. More like a guerilla thing, I'd assume. And that's the worst kind.

I see more of a scenario like this falling out.

A group of about 2500 crack special forces soldiers, accompanied by the best intelligence gathering possible including a new, beefed up corps of HUMINT along with our outstanding SIGINT and imagery. Combine this with our standard pre-game airshow. Break into groups of about 100 or so, and assault each faction, each camp, each and every known location of one of these guys, even if it's in a bathroom in an apartment in downtown Detroit, and knock them off one by one.

It's the kind of war, where we'd hear in the news ever few days that another suspected terrorist has been eliminated.

Unfortunately, as you can tell by this scenario, much of our civil liberties, and way of life as we've known it, would be given up. These teams would have to be totally trustworthy, as they would essential and an international license to kill. And that license is only backed up by our overwhelming might.

Nobody wants this, but how do you fight it? Sure, we can wipe out Afganastan, and hand it over to Russia (they've always needed a warm-water harbor), but ....

wink.gif

I dunno.

Mark

[This message has been edited by MadelynIris (edited 09-12-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom