October turns 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
Technically yesterday but I didn't see any other threads about it.

One of my fave U2 albums.

It was the 2nd U2 album I bought after getting hooked on "War." I listened to it for weeks.

Not a bad album for a group of guys in their early 20's.

They were 19-21 years old. Remember when I first got it, listening to it, the work of people a little older than me at the time I bought it, thinking, Wow!

Any else care to reminisce about this album, how did you feel the first time you heard it?

If you don't like the album, that's fine, but as for me, I like it, I like it a lot.

I love this album and I don't understand why it is so under-rated. It may just be Larry's best album (or War is and it's a close second); if only Larry were still this energetic and creative! And Adam getting a solo is nice too. I just love how honest, sincere, and passionate the album is. You really get a sense of where U2 were mentally and emotionally when they were recording the album, and it's quite a powerful effect. I know some people don't like the strong religious overtones, but I feel that rather than preaching, the album presents U2's thoughts and leaves the listener to draw their own conclusions.

Together with The Unforgettable Fire U2's most atmospheric album

Gloria, I Fall Down, I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, Tomorrow, October, With A Shout, Stranger, Scarlet... even Is That All. Fire is the only one I'm not too thrilled about. But I definitely don't hate it.

I :heart: this album.

BANZAI said:
Together with The Unforgettable Fire U2's most atmospheric album

Completely correct Banzai.
There is also so much hope and ambition as well as burning enthusiasm and passion, so much that even when they fail e.g. with a shout. its sung and played with such hope and power that I kinda let them off the fact that its basically a duff song.
Tomorrow will always feature on any U2 compilation I make. This song was written by a 19-20 yo bono, and 24 years later when he wrote the equivilent song for his late father he couldn't better Tomorrow, the lament for his mother.
October, ITABTAW, Rejoice and Scarlet are amazing songs, up there with their greatest songs.
This album takes you to another place, like all their best records. In my opinion it is better than War.

Axver said:
I love this album and I don't understand why it is so under-rated. It may just be Larry's best album (or War is and it's a close second); if only Larry were still this energetic and creative! And Adam getting a solo is nice too. I just love how honest, sincere, and passionate the album is. You really get a sense of where U2 were mentally and emotionally when they were recording the album, and it's quite a powerful effect. I know some people don't like the strong religious overtones, but I feel that rather than preaching, the album presents U2's thoughts and leaves the listener to draw their own conclusions.

I agree with all of this. It's always been one of my favorites.

One of my favourite albums. Criminally frowned upon in this day and age for god knows what reason! :( Start to finish a winner and definitely Boy's equal.

It's OK.

Gloria
I Fall Down
Tomorrow
October
Scarlet

THAT'S why you should buy this record. :drool:

Happy 25th! :wave:

Tomorrow is not on my Top 25 Most Played on my iPod for nothing.

I'm still in awe that these guys were that young when they released October -- or Boy, for that matter. I wonder if they ever doubted then that they were destined for greatness. I mean, seriously...

Happy 25th, October! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom