Numb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I was watching ZooTV in Sydney with my mom yesterday afternoon...the whole time I couldn't wait to hear Edge sing Numb live, as it had been quite a while since I'd watched this video....Well we get to Numb and I'm like here it is mom here it is..and then it starts and those first little guitar things, mom goes "I know this song" My response is, "what?" She goes, "well I've at least heard the intro or something like it." SO then the Edge starts singing and she was all over it, "Oh I definently know this song...the whole daddada thing that Ican't understand any of the words to"

So............Mom doesn't really know ANYTHING from the 90s except Mysterious Ways and One

So............Was Numb a lot more popular than I thought itwas?
I didn't start listening to U2 until ATYCLB so I don't know about their status in the 90s....

A friend of mine recognized it too when I played the 90's best-of for him. He said that he hated that song.

He is now a casual U2 fan... likes most of their songs.

Although I'm a diehard fan and I agree with him, Numb sucks :yuck:

Numb's never been a favorite of mine, I could take it or leave it, but I think my bf said his first memories of U2 are hearing Numb.

My mum claims she remember seeing the Edge perform Numb at the MTV awards 1993... Of course she said that after she saw the taping of it the other day...:huh:

Numb had a big debut on MTV. It was very well advertised. Of course that was back when they did crazy stuff on MTV like play music.

One of the things that I don't really like about Zoo T.V. I personally don't think Numb is that great of a song on Zooropa to begin with, let alone the poorer live version of the song.

Satelite of Love on Zoo T.V. also sucked. Technologically, the Lou Reed video was pretty awesome, but the performance was toally underwhelming.

It was on MTV alot.

I first heard it on a classic rock station, and then heard it in regular rotation on all the "modern rock" stations.

I remember seeing the video in the summer of 1993(before I really knew much about U2), when I was on vacation in Europe. It came on a few times. My mom thought it was weird how people just kept doing stuff to Edge :wink:

namkcuR said:
I remember seeing the video in the summer of 1993(before I really knew much about U2), when I was on vacation in Europe. It came on a few times. My mom thought it was weird how people just kept doing stuff to Edge :wink:

Wow. Do the similarities between us ever cease? ;) I'd like to ditto your post down to our moms! The only thing different is that I've never been to Europe. :(

I remember when it world premiered on MTV, they were at the first MTV Beach House in the summer of 93 and the VJ Kennedy premiered it.

Numb was one of the songs that got me REALLY into U2 :sad:

Although I have to agree, it never really worked out live.

And Satellite of Love? Am I the only one who detests that song? :yuck: I always skip it (maybe I should just not burn it) on my ZooTV bootlegs. :|

Yeah, the video was pretty popular. It's the first U2 video I remember watching on TV.

I liked the live version of "Numb." It had a better breakdown in the middle with the "Don't believe the hype!" part. Plus, the visuals were ridiculous, so it fit right into the show.

"Satellite of Love" is awesome, both the live version (with great ZooBono falsettos and the Lou Reed fake duet at the end) and the studio version (with the minimal instrumentation at the beginning, then the awesome coda).

Zootlesque said:

:shocked: :sad:

Watch the video while you're listening to it and it might make a HUGE difference!!! :yes:

I've seen the video many times, I even have it on tape. The video is awesome just like the other 2 zooropa videos, hands down. But the song... :scratch: never got into it.

amerrydeath said:
And Satellite of Love? Am I the only one who detests that song? :yuck: I always skip it (maybe I should just not burn it) on my ZooTV bootlegs. :|

I'm totally with you there. I think it is one of the most boring things U2 has ever done in concert. Puts me to sleep.

Being Numb a single, it may be that your mom has listened to it several times in the times it was around through radios and music tvs, it's actually a song that really remains in the back of your mind. There are more people knowing Numb as we can imagine

Thanks guys :wink: I preciate it......it was surreal, trust me, if you knew my mom and you had been there........

In the early nineties I was pretty young and not into U2 at all, but Numb was one of the 6 or so U2 songs I was really aware of thanks to the video. I can understand how Numb would be a song a non-fan would know, especially if they watched a lot of MTV back in '93.

Back
Top Bottom