Now that the forum is renamed...who do you want to produce the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bsp77 said:
Do we know if Mike Hedges even produces? Maybe he is just a mixer.
He is a very sought-after and acclaimed producer. He used to produce The Cure in their early days and he's produced a whole lot of other stuff.

I'm not sure why everyone hates his work on The Best Of 90-00 so much. I don't mind it (I don't like his mixes better than the originals, but I like them just as much). But that's just me. I know I'm in the minority on that.

bsp77 said:

I do not enjoy the new mix of Discotheque, just not as much.

Apparently I am an idiot. I DO enjoy the new mix, just not as much as the original.

Oh, and thanks greenlight7-11.

How bout Nigel Godrich? He did a great job with the single version of Walk On and did a bit of additional mixing on it too as far as I can remember. Perhaps he's the kind of producer they need to mix it up and encourage the new directions. Then again, considering he only did that track with them, maybe they don't get on or the band don't feel he's the kind of producer they want.

I think an unknown young and visionary new producer with a lot of mindblowing ideas, images and an serious music taste would be extremely exciting :drool: :drool: :drool:

I strongly believe if U2 make the same mistake (call their used producers like Eno, Lanois, Lillyhite, etc, etc) the new album will sound the same :shrug:

Peace :wave:

Flying FuManchu said:
Mike Hedges... Didn't he just remix the majority of the songs to sound like their live versions?

Yep stripped away any electronica the studio versions had that is for sure. Takes a lot of imagination to do that! NOT!:wink:

Lanois and Eno should produce it IMO, with help from Flood. Sorry I haven't read all the replies to this thread. I've been away.

:wave:

I'm not particularly blown away by his resume considering all of the other qualified candidates. I mean, he worked with the Cure like 20 years ago. Travis, and Siouxisie and the Banshees, here and there. With U2 he did some work on Peace on Earth, according to that link. I am not a fan of the Best Of mixes, at all.

I could easily make a top 20 wishlist and leave him out.
Honestly, I'd rather have Lillywhite again and I was not impressed with the production on HTDAAB, in fact I loathe it.

I'm thinking comfort levels, as I've said before. The less comfortable they are with the work environment, the longer it will take. Pipe dreams about a 2006 release are dashed according to the latest Edge's comments. I hope for fall 2007.

Flying FuManchu said:

so basically to judge Hedges from his U2 work seems pointless b/c thats all he basically did. So Hedges bad or Hedges good should be based on what he's done outside of U2.... right?

Yep agree with that!

Back
Top Bottom