Now that the forum is renamed...who do you want to produce the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eno, Lanois and/or Flood

No Lillywhite.

And to me, the problem with All Because of You is the off-key chorus. Not the production.

Re: Re: Now that the forum is renamed...who do you want to produce the next album?

U2DMfan said:

He has produced some great albums, but they seem to be straight ahead rock. Pearl Jam, STP, Springsteen.

I think most of the people who adore HTDAAB think ABOY is a turd because it's straight ahead rock, do you think people really want that from U2? I don't think most of you do. I ike ABOY, especially the alternate version.

I like those O'brien albums, I just listened to The Rising the other day, it's a great album. So it could be a great choice I'd just like to see U2 get into the studio and get the fuck out in under 2 years if at all possible.

No one said the album produced by O'Brien would sound like 11 ABOY's. (I can remember the "yes! rock album" comments before Bomb and now the song that sounds the hardest gets critisized a lot. U2 can't win either way) I enjoy Bomb and ABOY is my favorite of the rock trio.
I was referring to the overall sound/mix of instruments.

To expand to my vote, I'd like U2 to stay away from Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite for a while - I think some of the "U2 sound" on the last albums had to do with who produced them.

Bring back Flood, give him a chance to get back in there and mix it up a bit. Have some input from Eno, Jackknife Lee and Mike Hedges. Have Lillywhite do a couple of mixes on a couple of tracks and you're good to go.

I don't get why people are slamming Lillywhite. The albums that most showcase Adam and Larry and feature some of the most rocking tracks in U2's catalogue come from his work back in 1980-1983!

Hell, this man produced SBS and NYD, two of the greatest classics of all time!

Axver said:
I don't get why people are slamming Lillywhite. The albums that most showcase Adam and Larry and feature some of the most rocking tracks in U2's catalogue come from his work back in 1980-1983!

His production was very average on Boy, and only pretty good on October and War. And what can I say, he got worse or something. I really don't like his production on Bomb. The best production on the record is on LAPOE, and low and behold, it's Eno/Lanois on that one.

I think, right now, and Eno/Flood collaboration ala Zooropa is what's wetting my mouth the most.

And, btw, the albums that most showcase Adam and Larry are AB, Zooropa, and Pop. Especially Pop.

I tell you, people. Bring in Daniel Lanois and Paul McCartney and the next record is gonna be the record of the century. :up:

McCartney??

Anyway...I feel that they just need to work with a single producer, bang out a quick rock album in a few weeks with a rough, loose, demo-ish quality, instead of trying to turn every song into a skyscraping epic.

namkcuR said:
And, btw, the albums that most showcase Adam and Larry are AB, Zooropa, and Pop. Especially Pop.

October's the only album to feature drum and bass solos, and I think War is the last album where the drumming is seriously prominent (i.e. SBS, Like A Song). That said, HTDAAB is probably the album where the drumming is least prominent, so ... Lillywhite, what's up with that?

I guess styles change in twenty years. I still think it's unfair to slag off Lillywhite though when his production on the early albums does a nice job of showcasing each individual band member. And as I said, he produced SBS and NYD, two of the greatest songs ever recorded. I can't fault a thing about NYD.

U2Man said:
I tell you, people. Bring in Daniel Lanois and Paul McCartney and the next record is gonna be the record of the century. :up:

I dont see them bringing any experimental ideas to the table, and Lanois learned everyting he knows from Eno. Ill have to agree with
Eno/Flood

Axver said:

Hell, in that case bring in George Martin, if we are going to go back two decades. He only produced the greatest band ever.
Scratch that, they went the old fogey route with Thomas and we know how that worked out....oh wait, I think it did work out, it was U2 who didn't. I can't wait to hear the dirt on what went down and why, whenever they actually start talking about it in detail. Once again, keep it in the family and keep Larry and Lillywhite in the basement until most of the works done. :wink:

As far as Lillywhite and the drums/bass. He didn't have much choice, Edge was playing more or less minimalistic stuff and had just basically one tone/sound to his guitar. The backbeat of the band had to be strong and forceful. Now Edge uses all kind of tones with his guitar and plays a lot more colorfully. It's regretful to me that the drums haven't really sounded great since Rattle and Hum. I don't prefer the 90's-to present sound of the drums.
I like the deep tones and deep snares and I like the rolling Clayton bass, all of those were more prominent in the 80's and haven't really returned. Although Adam sounds good on most of the 90's stuff, I prefer the old sound for a new record.

I don't hate Lillywhite at all, and actually used to hold him in high regard until Bomb. To me it is undeniable how he effected the album and not in a positive way. The songs are much better live, that is something that possibly even lovers and haters can agree on, and everyone in between. Lillywhite very well could have just been out of touch . When was the last great record he produced prior to 2004? I don't know for certain but it had been a good while.

It's probably a good bet to not lay all of the blame on him.
The biggest production problem was lack of continuity, too many producers.

Would Bomb have sounded better with Eno/Lanois? Yes. That's just my opinion. Songs liek COBL and Crumbs would have been serviced by the nuance of their hands rather than just being falt out too loud and messy. Good songs, not delivered well IMO.

Petty gripes, but we are talking about prodcuers and production.

I really want to know what it would be like if Flood produced one of their albums all on his own. I know that Flood produced Pop, but assistant producers Howie B. and Steve Osborne have their fingerprints all over it. I'd like to hear something that is pure Flood.

Badyouken said:
Eno, Lanois and/or Flood

No Lillywhite.

And to me, the problem with All Because of You is the off-key chorus. Not the production.

Did you guys know that if it wasn't for Steve Lillywhite, Walk On would most likely have been trashed?? Not a good thing :no:

Interesting how no one complained about Lillywhite when he worked on first three albums, mixed songs on JT, AB and ATYCLB.

Steve Lillywhite has done a marvelous job for U2 over the years. It is not a coincidence that they turn to him again and again, when they have troubles finishing the albums.

Re: Re: Re: Now that the forum is renamed...who do you want to produce the next album

U2girl said:

No one said the album produced by O'Brien would sound like 11 ABOY's. (I can remember the "yes! rock album" comments before Bomb and now the song that sounds the hardest gets critisized a lot. U2 can't win either way) I enjoy Bomb and ABOY is my favorite of the rock trio.
I was referring to the overall sound/mix of instruments.

To expand to my vote, I'd like U2 to stay away from Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite for a while - I think some of the "U2 sound" on the last albums had to do with who produced them.

Out of interest, what do you consider the third song in the 'rock trio'? You consider ABOY, and I presume Vertigo.. so what is the third? Love and Peace or Else or Crumbs From Your Table?

I think LAPOE is more rock than Crumbs, yes.

(though as far as I'm concerned Crumbs sounds heavier than the average U2 song)

Axver said:
I don't get why people are slamming Lillywhite. The albums that most showcase Adam and Larry and feature some of the most rocking tracks in U2's ca

Actually, on the Joshua Tree classic albums DVD, Larry talks about how until Daniel Lanois came onto the scene, he felt there wasn't very much attention paid to how the drum sounds were produced, and it wasn't until JT that he felt he had a great recording experience. Something to that effect.

So while the drums and bass may have sounded cool, I wouldn't give Lillywhite the credit on that one.

lazarus said:

Actually, on the Joshua Tree classic albums DVD, Larry talks about how until Daniel Lanois came onto the scene, he felt there wasn't very much attention paid to how the drum sounds were produced, and it wasn't until JT that he felt he had a great recording experience. Something to that effect.

So while the drums and bass may have sounded cool, I wouldn't give Lillywhite the credit on that one.

Absolutely right. Lanois is the guy who pushed Mullen to do bigger and better things. Lillywhite's a crap producer, his first thought after hearing the original SYCMIOYO was "hey guys you havent got a chorus there" and five minutes later Bono and The Edge have that god damn awful falsetto written and the rest is history! He's ok to have in for one or two tracks like what happened on The Joshua tree and Achtung baby, but he fuc#ing ruined the last album!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Absolutely right. Lanois is the guy who pushed Mullen to do bigger and better things. Lillywhite's a crap producer, his first thought after hearing the original SYCMIOYO was "hey guys you havent got a chorus there" and five minutes later Bono and The Edge have that god damn awful falsetto written and the rest is history! He's ok to have in for one or two tracks like what happened on The Joshua tree and Achtung baby, but he fuc#ing ruined the last album!:wink:

Negative post # 1314.

rjhbonovox said:

Have you heard the alternate, chorus-less SYCMIOYO?

It sounds like shit, plain and simple.

rjhbonovox said:

The chorus of sometimes is brillant, I love it

Axver said:

Have you heard the alternate, chorus-less SYCMIOYO?

It sounds like shit, plain and simple.

Yeah well, shit song whatever version u listen too. I was just pointing out that the only thing of apparent importance to this song for Lilywhite was it didn't have a "Bon Jovi'esque" chorus that he could get the song to the top of the charts with, didn't matter that what U2 had was a shit song in the first place!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah well, shit song whatever version u listen too. I was just pointing out that the only thing of apparent importance to this song for Lilywhite was it didn't have a "Bon Jovi'esque" chorus that he could get the song to the top of the charts with, didn't matter that what U2 had was a shit song in the first place!:wink:

Actually, the chorus is much more a reference to Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson than Bon Jovi.

Sadly, you don't know enough music to see that.

MrBrau1 said:

Actually, the chorus is much more a reference to Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson than Bon Jovi.

Sadly, you don't know enough music to see that.

And that is definetly why I became a U2 fan....so they can start sounding like Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson......."I dont care what they say about me yeah, I dont care what they say" oohhhh yeah I love U2 sounding like that.:wink:

What if the guys in the band did it themselves? Or what if they brought in someone who isn't a "producer" in the normal sense. bring in like Robert Smith to help on the album... ooohhh the posibilites of a U2 album with The Cure influences all over it:drool: :drool: Maybe Smith would even do a guest vocal on a track and even play guitar on a track.. Now I'm getting excited even though I know it would never happen:(

On a side note: rjhbonovox, do you even like U2?
:scratch: I know you do, but alot of the times it seems like they are your least favorite band. I don't know how you can call SYCMIOYO a shit song, chorus or no chorus. Personally I think the falsetto part gives the song it's powerful emotion. To each their own though I suppose.

Last edited:
If Robert Smith came in, I'm sure the results would be "interesting"...but mostly because of his long-standing and vocal hatred of the band. Still, we can wonder...

And damn...is NOBODY feeling my now old-as-piss suggestion of Dave Fridmann???

Dan the Automater, by the way, would be fucking crazy. I'm not sure that the band still has it in them to do something like that (he would've fit perfectly with POP, though), but I'd love to see them try. Could be terrible, but wouldbe fascinating all the same.

Back
Top Bottom