Non-U2 fans....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
So I was over at @u2.com and I was reading about that ingnorent asshole rollins again when I came across a list of people who do not like u2, and Jesus Christ some of them we just so fuckin mean it was sick...

Patti Smith-"I am not your mother Bono,do your own dirty work.Fuck you-after Bono presnted her with a nme award and called her a"mother"Lover"and a "sister"

what a ugly cunt...:mad:

John Mellencamp-"I find u2 so pretenious that I could not even like there records.They probaly make great records,but the things that come out of their mouths I find offsenive"we are the greatest band in the world" If you were,why would you say that?

Grahm Nash-when asked does he think that Bono's humanaterian efforts are sincere or for show"

"I think it is alittle bit of both,I think you can't do that without some sincerity. But Bono is a great showman,I mean pulling open your shirt at the super bowl and showing the american flag.....gimme a break.But it got him on the cover of Time"

Redneck Bastard:mad:

I am so damn tired of people doing that to Bono and U2.They are just so damn jelous that u2 has done somthing they can not ever phathom.As much as I cannot stand Patti Smith,now I am leaning towards hate.:mad: These are two bits-John mellencamp is just a wannabe Bruce Springsteen,Nash is a drug addict and Smith looks like a deformed man....People can be so mean to a man who does so much and NEVER talks bad about anyone!!

While I wouldn't consider them pretentious, I have to admit that I cringe at some of the stuff Bono says. I mean, most U2 fans that follow the band closely know he's just dicking around, but to the casual or non-fan he must come off as insufferable at times.

MrBrau1 said:
To be fair, Bono deserved what he got from Patti.
Really? I didn't see the awards, so I don't know the context of what she said. Was she joking when she said that? It sounds quite harsh given that Bono was presenting her with lavish praise and a life time award.

I saw this list at @U2.com just yesterday. It's no secret people either hate or love U2 - which is appropriate for a band and lead singer who lives at the centre of contradiction.

:lol:

This kinda stuff used to bug me, but I sorta realized that it's just Bono being Bono. He seems like he enjoys annoying some folks and says this stuff just to create tension and competition among fans and non-fans alike.

...still didn't care for what Patti Smith had to say, though :madspit:

MrBrau1 said:
To be fair, Bono deserved what he got from Patti.

Why? What exactly did he say to get her so mad? I thought she rather went overboard. She could've rebuked him in private.

To be fair, not everybody is going to like U2. Like this quote:

PJ Harvey, musician, singer, songwriter

"It's not my cup of tea, but I appreciate what they do and they do it very well."

Politely said, nicely put. But some of the anti-U2 and anti-Bono statements are rather harsh.

I would still like to hear from someone who actually *saw* the awards show in which Patti Smith said those things to Bono. Can someone please verify in what context, exactly, she expressed herself? It sounds a little harsh if it were in a serious context. It almost sounds like she was ribbing him. Anyone?

As for PJ Harvey, she seems to be contradicting herself, for I remember her saying she was a big U2 fan and had many of their albums, but didn't like their recent "song friendly" direction and tour. I swear I remember her saying that.

Michael Griffiths said:
As for PJ Harvey, she seems to be contradicting herself, for I remember her saying she was a big U2 fan and had many of their albums, but didn't like their recent "song friendly" direction and tour. I swear I remember her saying that.

I remember this too, she mentioned that she thought they should be doing something different given the position they were in... or something like that

John Mellencamp is correct, you don't need to go around parading and declaring you are the "greatest band in the world". U2 should have left it to history to be the judge.

Graham Nash is correct, Bono is a great showman (don't we all know that?) and that Bono's humanitarian efforts have sincerity (don't we all know that too?). But Bono also knows how to play a persona, how to manipulate people, and exagerrate things --- and without these great traits - he would have never landed in the cover of time. His save the world act may be getting tiring and passe at times, but its all part of the show. Let's enjoy it while we can.

Actually, non-U2 fans have a better grasp of U2 than U2 fans because they are less attached to the band and see things in a more objective and detached way.

Cheers,

J

True, the critics may be more objective than fans, but it's redicioulus to say wearing the US flag on the inside of his jacket got Bono on the cover of Time magazine. His AIDS/Africa activism did, which Nash could have easily guessed by the "can Bono save the world?" subtitle of that article.
It's even funnier to say you don't even know their music but think they're arrogant because of the "biggest band in the world" thing (history and the facts aren't exactly bad to support that claim - to me, that was just Bono saying he's proud at what a long way the band has come and cheering them on to strive to good music), or, like most U2 bashers do, dislike the band simply because they have a problem with Bono.

(I don't see how Rotten is in any position to critisize, when his band clearly toured for the money - without new material or even greatest hits, and recently he appeared in a TV Surviror show - pretty weird for a punker.)

I liked PJ Harvey's quote, nicely and eloquently put.

U2girl said:
It's even funnier to say you don't even know their music but think they're arrogant because of the "biggest band in the world" thing (history and the facts aren't exactly bad to support that claim - to me, that was just Bono saying he's proud at what a long way the band has come and cheering them on to strive to good music)

Exactly. U2's been able to back that up. And if someone claims something like that and is able to back it up, I don't have a real problem with it.

Besides, I dunno, but I kinda expect artists to have some sort of an ego on them...obviously every artist wants people to think they're the best thing out there.

At least U2, from what I've seen and heard, knows when to have that ego, and when to be humble. Not sure if I can say the same for some other artists.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Besides, I dunno, but I kinda expect artists to have some sort of an ego on them

Yeah, well when you sing "All I want is" and thousands of people yell back "YOU!", what do you expect is going to happen?

Back
Top Bottom