NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone asked her "have they(U2) gone away from playing it safe...gone away from tracks like Walk On,Elevation,Peace On Earth,Miracle Drug,City Of Blinding Lights"

one of the girls said...."nothing safe...nothing like those tracks"
the other girl said........"that would be a big resounding YES!!"

they got to listen to it twice and afterward felt like babies deprived of candy :D

This is one of the best things I've heard all year! And no 'yahweh' either, please.

They only tell you what you want to hear. I rather read a review that attempts to be objective. The lengthier reviews listed on the first page were much more insightful.

Are you serious? You think they're just making up their ecstatic reactions because it's what the other fans want to hear?? :huh: you as a supposed fan should know U2 fans aren't afraid to be critical...

I appreciate the objective reviews too; I want to hear different perspectives. But as a fan I'm thinking I'll relate to the fan reviews more. In terms of bad reviews I'd rather read about a fan who is disappointed than some critic who has something against U2, because the former will still give me more of an insight into the album. but in the end it all comes down to taste, both for the "objective" reviewers and the fans

My favorite quote has got to be from this guy(MacFoley) over on Zootopia who has a lot of posts....he asked one of the girls about the album "and on the heavy and dense?...like bands like Tool?...almost like progressive metal? "

how does someone even ask that kind of a question? :doh:

and she says..... "not that heavy mac but heavier than other U2"
:

:lmao: U2 doing progressive metal...Axver would be gleeful :wink:

Thanks for posting those reviews...I don't think I've ever been so excited about the album than I am now :drool: I do think it's interesting that we've gotten some reviews that say "Not really a departure, most of these songs could fit on past albums" and other reviews saying "It's completely different and experimental!!" My guess is it's somewhere in between. I'm excited to find out :hyper:

leak, damnit! there better be a leak by this weekend :angry:

They only tell you what you want to hear. I rather read a review that attempts to be objective. The lengthier reviews listed on the first page were much more insightful.

And I appreciate the effort to gather them all in one place.

Yeah but it's known that many "professional" reviews look laughable after the album comes out. Many of the reviewers have difficulty explaining the sound but U2 fans have a short hand. I remember one reviewer mention that "Gone" was filler on POP. I laughed my ass off. :lol:

I don't know if it was already posted, but RTE Radio will play NLOTH (the song) tomorrow.

RTÉ 2XM TO PLAY FIRST WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE OF NEW U2 ALBUM TITLE TRACK

Tune in to RTÉ 2XM tomorrow at 12 midday(Irish time) as the station plays the worldwide exclusive of the title track from the new U2 album No Line On The Horizon.

On Monday 19 January Dave Fanning played Get On Your Boots on RTÉ 2fm and now its digital sister station RTÉ 2XM will follow suit and play No Line On The Horizon to a worldwide audience online.

RTÉ 2XM plays the best there is alternative, indie and rock music and currently features twenty one presenter-led programmes from Monday through to Sunday, with more on the way.

U2’s twelfth studio album No Line On The Horizon is due to be released on Friday 27 February in Ireland, Monday 2 March in the rest of Europe and a day later in North America.
RTE Digital Radio - 2XM

They could start a controled leak, per parts, as Arcade Fire did with Neon Bible... :hmm:

Yeah but it's known that many "professional" reviews look laughable after the album comes out. Many of the reviewers have difficulty explaining the sound but U2 fans have a short hand. I remember one reviewer mention that "Gone" was filler on POP. I laughed my ass off. :lol:

I can agree that you definitely shouldn't take seriously reviewers that resort to the use the word "filler".

hmm but i wonder if this is the b side they are playing? i mean i know there saying the title track, but isnt the single out in Ireland tomorrow? and isnt the b-side on that single NLOTH 2? which is not the actual song that opens the album.

Yeah my older brother once had a old news clipping from an Irish paper that reviewed Acthung Baby back when it came out....it said that Acrobat was a weak song with foolish Bono lyrics like "and I must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that"...."and don't let the bastards grind you down" :D
:

I also have Audio Hijack Pro and will definitely record it. Woo! I wonder if it's the album version or the GOYB single version?

:up:

guess we'll find out... it could be that U2 realized it's kind of strange to release an alternate version of a song before the album version and decided to let a station play the album version first. That could be a stretch though.

either way I'm excited :hyper:

I think these reviews just flatted out. I mean, we got the first reviews, then the clips. Now it's time for the whole thing! :wink:

Other thing i was thinking is that i kinda regret my lack of self-control by listening to the 30 sec clips as i know that it ruined that first listen magic. I promised myself that i would try not to listen to any clips before the full album is out. And failed big, as it took some 10 sec to post my email and download the clips.

And i believe i would be amazingly suprised because after Boots my expectations were very low. Now, judging by what i've heard from the clips, there is some incredible stuff in there.
Oh my, imagine if i've listend to that "maginificent" vocals for the first time with the rest of the song! :drool::drool::drool:

Now it's too late...

I also have Audio Hijack Pro and will definitely record it. Woo! I wonder if it's the album version or the GOYB single version?

I would hope they wouldn't preview an alternate track...but stranger things have happened....a reviewer of NLOTH suggested U2 may have combined the two versions into one song...who knows??

U2 No Line On The Horizon, A First Impression | undercover.com.au, Music, News, Entertainment

U2 No Line On The Horizon, A First Impression
by Paul Cashmere - February 11 2009

Undercover was privy to a private listening session for the U2 album today and it is damn good. Although it is not “the next big step for U2”, it is very much the sound of U2 you love.

That is thanks mostly to the joint production resource of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois and additional production by Steve Lillywhite. All three had similar duties on 1984’s ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ and the sound I am hearing from ‘No Line On The Horizon’ is very much sourced from that work.

The album will conjure up the past when you hear it, mainly because the production team individually have worked on many of the U2 albums since ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ and they each bring their own sound to U2.

While I’ve only had one listen to the album from beginning to end, my first impression is that this album won’t rock the boat with U2 fans. If you loved the old stuff, you will like the new.

Track by track:

No Line On The Horizon – This one is techno, thump. In sound it sits somewhere between 1993’s ‘Zooropa’ and 1994’s ‘Pop’.

Magnificent – And The Edge show up for work! This is one of the few songs on the album that sounds like any of their recent work. This one wouldn’t be out of place on 2000’s ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’.

Moment Of Surrender –This is the album’s epic. It is one of those slow, building tracks and fits with ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ in sound.

Unknown Caller – Another slow one, I was thinking ‘The Joshua Tree’ as a first impression. While ‘The Joshua Tree’ came initially to mind, there is something strangely “Broadway show” about this in parts.

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight – damn, Bono beat some old country guy to the title. It sounds like it should be a country and western song but isn’t. In fact, it is one of the rockier songs on the album. Think, ‘Rattle and Hum’ album for a fit.

Get Your Boots On – Well, you already know this one. 60’s meets the Escape Club. (Go on, admit it, you thought of ‘Wild Wild West’ when you heard it the first time as well).

Stand Up Comedy – Funky. It would sound good on ‘Rattle and Hum’.

FEZ – Being Born – This is the most different song on the album from anything else they have done. In fact, the production technique is more in line of some of the experimentations George Martin did on later Beatles. It starts out atmospheric (Eno) but gets a bit of grunt happening.

White As Snow – Another slow one. ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ for fit. There are some nice Irish influences in the song structure as well. I can’t say Irish trad music has been very prevelant in the U2 sound before like it is here.

Breathe – An uptempo, rock song. A good one for ‘Achtung Baby’.

Cedars Of Lebanon – Bono really sings on this ballad. Its dreamy and laidback, a mellow end to the album. It is again very ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ in sound.

‘No Line On The Horizon’ was recorded at U2 HQ Dublin, Raid El Yacout in Fez, Platinum Sound Recordings Studios in New York and Olympic Studios in London.

It will be released at the end of this month.

Stumble It!

Sounds like he thinks the fans will be happy. :hyper:

Another from Australia

Melbourne Herald Sun - Australia

U2 takes a few risks

Cameron Adams
February 12, 2009 12:00am

WHEN you're the biggest band in the world, you're entitled to take a few risks.

No Line on the Horizon is U2's experimental album. The songs are long, moody and not exactly radio-friendly.
Which means it's precisely the kind of album U2 needed after 2004's water-treading but stadium-filling How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Hearing the album in full, the divisive Get On Your Boots was an ideal first single - the kind of song that wouldn't last 10 seconds on commercial radio stations if it weren't the new U2 song.

Despite the musical diversions, the Edge's trademark guitar work injects the U2 DNA throughout.

The fantastic title track has a wall of distorted guitar that recalls a previous envelope-pushing moment, The Fly.

There's a brief flashback to the feel of The Unforgettable Fire on Fez - Being Born and Magnificent sounds like a single (once it has had a radio edit) with that signature Where the Streets Have No Name chugging guitar and drum momentum.

Producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois leave their fingerprints all over the atmospheric Moment of Surrender - cathedral organs and a heavy bass groove spoiled only by Bono mentioning an ATM.

In an age of short attention spans, U2 have put together an old-fashioned album, not just a bunch of singles.

This album is likely to lose the casual U2 fan, but will reconnect with the faithful.

No Line on the Horizon is released on February 27

It would be nice to see the album get good reviews but i dont buy albums based on what reviewers say

If i followed Pitchfork i'd have the most depressing, dull and weird music collection going

If YOU like it - thats all that matters

Back
Top Bottom