Next Tour, How the song "Gone" should be performed live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the song "Gone" be performed this way?

• Excellent idea diamond, I'm sure Willie Williams and Paul Mcguinness will be doing cart wheels with

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Good idea, this song could work employing parts of what you suggested here.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • diamond, have you considered being a choreographer for and talent director for Hannah Montana?

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • No, this would be a nightmare for U2 Security

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I like it, parts of it could and should be developed

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • diamondbruno, you have quite an imagination.

Votes: 34 51.5%

• Total voters

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
"Gone" is a favorite song of mine from Pop.

Here's a link to the audio:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_tHilyzEHs

Below are the lyrics:

You get to feel so guilty
Got so much for so little
Then you find that feeling
Just won't go away

You're holding on to every little thing so tightly
'Til there's nothing left for you anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

You wanted to get somewhere so badly
You had to lose yourself along the way
You change your name, well that's okay, it's necessary
And what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

'Cause I'm already gone
Felt that way all along
Closer to you every day
I didn't want it that much anyway

You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

Goodbye...
And it's emotional
Good night...
I'll be up with the sun
You're still holding on
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

Gone...sun...time...sun...
Gone...sun....gone...sun...
Sun...

I think the band should employ hydraulic lifts for Bono to leap onto from stage and when he starts to sing the part:

"I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down"

The lift should slowly start to elevate him over the crowd up to a walkway/scaffoldling high above the audience. The spotlight should be a blinding light on him. His face and all of the Bono nuances and theatrics should be made viewable from the large monitors thru out the arena/statium

When he reaches the walkway/scaffolding he should be at the part of the song that is here:

You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

He should almost be singing acapella and act like he's balancing himself at this part and continue walking onward into a large blinding light as the song fades out.

And suddenly appear back on stage at center mic for the next song.

Crowd goes nuts. This could be the final song of the set, leading into the 2 or 3 preplanned encore songs like they usually have ie One or WOWY.

So what do you guys think?

dbs

The only time U2 has ever employed hydraulic lifts was during the Zoo TV Tour.

During the show intro, Bono would be lifted up during Zoo Station on this lift. Then, during Mysterious Ways he climbed stairs back up to them, and, during Edge's solo in the middle of the song, was lowered back down on the lift.

So, it has been done before.

I'm just commenting that it is possible since U2 has attempted its use before.

I would have been 1 when Zoo TV started and 2 when it ended.

How about they just invent jet packs and fly around during Gone. Oh yeah, and snippet Mercy (but only if it's not on the album). :|

phillyfan26 said:
I'm just commenting that it is possible since U2 has attempted its use before.

My bad.

Yes they have and this would be much more advanced.

dbs

You know, I don't particularly like this idea.

But fine. I'd be happy if they performed it while Bono was hanging by his ankles from a trapeze... just so long as they actually play Gone and rock the fuck out of it.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
You know, I don't particularly like this idea.

But fine. I'd be happy if they performed it while Bono was hanging by his ankles from a trapeze... just so long as they actually play Gone and rock the fuck out of it.

This would be putting "Gone" on steroids.

dbs

Question, while we're on the topic of Gone live; at the beginning of Gone on the elevation Boston DVD, does Bono yell out "Hutch, Hear Me!" ... as in Michael Hutchence? Or am I hearing things?

He definitely yells "Hutch!" (he does that a lot on Gone). Didn't hear the other stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

luna_lovegood said:
Question, while we're on the topic of Gone live; at the beginning of Gone on the elevation Boston DVD, does Bono yell out "Hutch, Hear Me!" ... as in Michael Hutchence? Or am I hearing things?

Yes, correct as Pfan says.

dbs

:angry:

I'm proposing that the song Gone not only be louder and larger than the Elevation Tour that it be enhanced thru theatrics, hydraulics and lights.

Don't you people get this?

dbs

the tourist said:
How about they just invent jet packs and fly around during Gone. Oh yeah, and snippet Mercy (but only if it's not on the album). :|

:lol: Well they always like to break new ground in their live shows, so I wouldn't put it past Bono! However, I can't see Larry getting into it. Mercy snippety eh?:hmm: That could be interesting.

phillyfan26 said:
He definitely yells "Hutch!" (he does that a lot on Gone). Didn't hear the other stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

diamond said:

Yes, correct as Pfan says.

dbs

Thanks, this has been buggin me for a while.

diamond said:
:angry:

I'm proposing that the song Gone not only be louder and larger than the Elevation Tour that it be enhanced thru theatrics, hydraulics and lights.

dbs
Gone doesn't need theatrics, in fact, I think they'd take away from the emotion of the song. All Gone needs is some darkness and a lot of raw anger.

diamond said:

I get that I want to go see a U2 gig, not musical theater or Cirque du Soleil.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Gone doesn't need theatrics, in fact, I think they'd take away from the emotion of the song. All Gone needs is some darkness and a lot of raw anger.
My point exactly.

I would wager to say that I've seen more tours than all the ppl who have posted in this thread up to this post, and 95% of Interference.Com posters. With that said, I don't want to come across as a blowhard, only a long term fan who has seen what U2 songs work well live, and what U2 *could* work even better live.

It's a good idea that I have here.

And if it so happens that they wish to employ this idea during the next tour, let it be understood here and now that I wish to receive no accolades .

thank u
dbs

How many tours you have seen is irrelevant. Unfortunately you seem to actually be a 'blowhard' by what you say.
Any fan is entitled to comment on their own ideas - I don't know why you think your thoughts are better than anyone elses?

Are you trying to be facetious? Why did you post this thread asking for opinions, only to simply respond by informing other people they are 'wrong'?

Accolades? Dream out loud, brother. :ohmy:

And as a long-term fan who doesn't care how many tours you've seen, I'm saying that I don't think it's a very good idea.

thelaj said:
How many tours you have seen is irrelevant.

Are you trying to be facetious?
Accolades? Dream out loud, brother. :ohmy:

No not really, there is a bit of relevance here.

Yes I am trying to be bit facetious , most ppl and fans that know me know this to be a bit of my nature.

"Accolades" was clearly tongue and cheek.
:)

However if the band decided to send me royalties after employment of my artistic ideas and abilities I would donate 100% of the proceeds to www.one.org or www.helpoutparisfindanewbff.org or another notable charity.

Now back to the topic at hand:

For the 'purest' fans of the song in it's original format, I can empathise with you and understand not wanting to pervert this song from it's original beauty. Totally understood.

That said, every tour since War the band in one way or another has tweaked, manipulated or enhanced the majority of their music live.

This is only natural progression or evolution of a beautiful song.

So there you have it.

Please continue to vote and comment as you see fit.

dbs

Yeah see all you guys think little Bono should singing to you at your own little esoteric coffee houses in your mind.

Bono is much larger than this and has a greater mission.

It's not all daffodils and butterflies here ppl:angry:

dbs

Back
Top Bottom