New York, Live - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:36 AM
New York, Live

This song doesn't get much love around here, but it is easily one of my favourite songs of the past decade - especially in its live incarnation.

I recall listening intently to the Live from Boston rendition for many years, until I discovered bootlegs.

My current favourite is Miami 2nd December 2001, but most of the post 9/11 versions (complete with altered lyrics) are worth a spin.

What is with the pipe intro on the pre-9/11 versions? It sounds like the melody from "Baby I Love You" by Jennifer Lopez & R Kelly.

What is the best live performance of New York?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:36 AM
The studio version is amazing But I think it would be amazing if they played it next tour, imagine Bono sing "New Yooooooooooooooooooooooooork" with his voice he got now

Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaj View Post
What is the best live performance of New York?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 AM
This is a side of U2 I love - it's really all about dynamics, performance, and some serious studio editing. I don't think it's as good as BTBS or Exit or to some extent Acrobat, but I consider it related to those dark jams.

It was also the kind of song that was missing on Bomb. I hope we get another one on the new record.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
War Child

I really like this track, it's definitely one of my favourite things on ATYCLB, the band sound massive on the choruses and I really enjoy Bono's quiet confessions, his commentary on life in the city is very knowing, very well observed.

I like the fact that its quite long too, it's like taking a little detour with the band for a while, it's a nice side step, taking in the sights and sounds of the city, exploring the good and bad, one final excursion before ending with the tranquility of Grace.

Love all the Titanic references too.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Refugee

Apparently, the first performance with the altered lyrics was on Letterman in October 2001:

Old 08-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Wow - have to admit that the All That You Can't . . . album isn't the most played of my collection - it just never really grabbed me back then (dont know if it has to do with my circumstances at the time of its release when I was knee deep in the whirling dervish that is 12 month old twin boys!!!) but songs like this just did nothing for me. As ever, it's the live interpretation of some songs that really hooks me (have a similar relationship with Yahweh) and this one is gorgeous - thanks for posting :runstofindcdandrelistenwithfreshears:
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Probably one of my top 5 songs from ATYCLB
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 04:36 AM
One of the better songs of this decade musically speaking. Bono's lyrics totally destroy the song though. With better lyrics it could have been the gem of Elevation and ATYCLB.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
One of the better songs of this decade musically speaking. Bono's lyrics totally destroy the song though. With better lyrics it could have been the gem of Elevation and ATYCLB.
Have to disagree completely with your comments about the lyrics. If you've ever lived in NYC, you can really appreciate the lyrics; they're basically a description of some of the street-life you see, hear, and feel in the big city.

In my opinion, the best live version is when they played it at Madison Square Garden in the summer of 2001. That concert is floating around as a bootleg and it's amazing!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmaxfield View Post
Have to disagree completely with your comments about the lyrics. If you've ever lived in NYC, you can really appreciate the lyrics; they're basically a description of some of the street-life you see, hear, and feel in the big city.

In my opinion, the best live version is when they played it at Madison Square Garden in the summer of 2001. That concert is floating around as a bootleg and it's amazing!
To me it isn't a very interesting topic for a band like U2.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
The Male

Local Time: 02:36 AM
The lyrics are great in concept, clunky in execution, but it has its moments.

Musically, it's genius. One of Larry's most exciting performances in ages, great dynamics, rocking guitar. It's a great song IMO, and severely underrated.

Now.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Refugee

Wow, hadn't seen that Letterman spot. Thanks for digging that up, Thelaj.

Nice double shot there - better than your average U2 TV appearance.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Count me in. I love this tune, and some very perceptive comments by Ahittle and DevilsShoes above.

In structure (i.e. probably evolving from a loose jam and being more about dynamics than craft) it's somewhat similar to "Exit" on The Joshua Tree, but obviously the lyric is completely different. I appreciate the lyrics a lot, and I think they're some of the best Bono has come up with over the past decade.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaj View Post
Apparently, the first performance with the altered lyrics was on Letterman in October 2001

He had already altered the lyrics for the 1st NY show after 9/11 at the garden on 10/24/01.

Tags
new york