New Year's Day video - war footage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flameandthefire

The Fly
OK, here's a question probably no one can answer - no matter how die hard U2 fan you are or how long you've been a fan.

There is obviously some real war footage on New Year's Day video. What war is that? As a finn I've been wondering if it could be real footage of Finnish-Soviet winter war (1939-1940).

Some tanks and uniforms seem similar:
http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Images/Briefings/Finns-01.jpg

And let me make it clear - I love peace and I hate war. This is just something that's been buggin' me for years.

It's obviously the second world war. the tank seen is the famous soviet t-34 introduced 1941.

just have to say i love this video... one of my fav. videos from anyone ... from the opening scenes in the snow to the 4 horsemen carrying white flags, to the band playing around a campfire and larry carrying/playing his drum ... i love all the imagery which is made even more powerful with the layered-in war footage ... and the song...geez... for me one of u2's best moments

I love it as well, one of my first real introductions to U2 was that video....

There's one part that's a little dated though. The animated piano that plays itself. That always cracks me up when I see it. I'm sure it looked cool in 1983.

My first exposure to U2 was either this video or Two Hearts Beat as One, I don't remember which. I was in third or fourth grade, and I was riveted by this video. I can never forget the image of Bono with windburned face, and a guy scraping out guitar lines with fingerless gloves (or was that Adam?) that were as stark and crystalline as the landscape they played in. I was all about some Capture the Flag and snow forts at that age, and this video was right up my alley, but the music was haunting, and the video seemed to have a dark aspect to it. I barely even remember the war footage, just the band, forests, and the horses, and it is still a powerful piece in my mind.

agentorange said:
My first exposure to U2 was either this video or Two Hearts Beat as One, I don't remember which. I was in third or fourth grade, and I was riveted by this video. I can never forget the image of Bono with windburned face, and a guy scraping out guitar lines with fingerless gloves (or was that Adam?) that were as stark and crystalline as the landscape they played in. I was all about some Capture the Flag and snow forts at that age, and this video was right up my alley, but the music was haunting, and the video seemed to have a dark aspect to it. I barely even remember the war footage, just the band, forests, and the horses, and it is still a powerful piece in my mind.

Hehe, Adam had the fingerless gloves.

*He's actually played bass using fingerless gloves, on one of the ZooTV gigs where it was really really cold at night*

agentorange said:
just the band, forests, and the horses, and it is still a powerful piece in my mind.

Actually, some girls rode those horses, instead of U2 ... :yes:
Their management didn't want to chance the band possibly getting hurt. :no:
That's why, you never see their faces close-up because it's NOT U2 riding the horses ... :ohmy: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom