New Version Of Streets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
Check out a new mix of Streets:
http://www.bailey7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/u2tv.htm
or find the link at www.u2log.com

Hearing the brilliant version of Streets by Richie got me thinking of a entire album of social justice orientated songs by U2. MLK has been in the back of my mind ever since Bono mentioned him at the end of the Oprah interview last September. At the time I thought it would be a great idea for Bono to organize a march in Washington on August 28, 2003 in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of MLK?s march and his ?I Have A Dream? speech and connecting it to the human rights campaign for Africans (DATA). I hope something happens. Hey, Bono could even sing 40 at the event! I thought of a new mix of the song MLK with the ?I have a dream?? snippet from MLK?s speech ?I Have A Dream?. A new mix of What?s Going On? With the October 10 / 2001 Notre Dame speech by Bono during One for Third World Drop The Debt and AIDS. And a new mix of New Year?s Day with snippets of Bono?s Harvard Address. Also ? I believe a majority of these have excellent quality video of them so a VCD / DVD could be made of this collection. In fact ? I could see this project being a valuable resource for teachers / social justice groups / church groups / etc. I welcome any comments on how to improve this project. For the complete lyrics feel free to e-mail me. ~John

SOCIAL JUSTICE WITH U2 ALBUM

1.) Where The Streets Are Free At Last (5:44) (the ?Let freedom ring? snippet from the ?I Have A Dream? speech by MLK with U2?s song Where The Streets Have No Name) ? by Richie (http://www.bailey7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/u2tv.htm) ? see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
2.) Pride (In The Name Of Love) (4:48?) ? a ZOOTV Tour version with the snippet from MLK?s speech ?I See The Promised Land (?I?ve been to the mountain top?)? - Sydney or Dublin or ? ? see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
3.) MLK ? I think it would be great to hear the ?I have a dream?? snippet from MLK?s speech ?I Have A Dream? ? maybe the first half to open the song and the second half in between the 2 verses? ? see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
4.) People Get Ready ? the best live version?
5.) What?s Going On? (The London Version with Bono / Chris Martin / The Edge / Brian Eno) or was there a great live version from the 3rd Leg of the Elevation Tour? ? an awareness / benefit single for the AIDS emergency in Africa - October 10 / 2001 Notre Dame speech by Bono during One for Third World Drop The Debt and AIDS ? world wide broadcast via internet - see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
6.) Maggie?s Farm (6:43) - ?This live album is a record and a recording of an extraordinary day in Irish social history - May 17th, 1986. On that day, thirty Irish bands stormed their way through a fourteen hour concert which gathered the biggest ever television audience in Ireland. The concert was called "Self-Aid" and the purpose of this celebration of Irish contemporary music was to highlight and help the chronic unemployment problem in Ireland. In May of 1986 there were nearly a quarter of a million people unemployed in Ireland - this in a country of just three and a half million people. The concert itself was the largest ever staged in Ireland. The musicians taking part in Self-Aid gave their talents and time free of charge, not only for the concert but also for this album, the profits of which will go to the Self-Aid Trust to further the work begun in May 1986.? (u2wanderer.org) ? the lyrics not only contain a social justice message but I imagine it was also addressed to ?Maggie? Maragret Thachter the ultra right wing oppressive leader of Britain ? also U2 performed this song on the Amnesty International Tour during the Summer of 1986 ? For years U2 has supported Amnesty International by promoting the organization from the stage / in their concert tour books / in their album liner notes / appearing on A.I. awareness / benefit albums / etc.
7.) Silver And Gold (5:50) (Rattle And Hum version)
8.) Sunday Bloody Sunday (Rattle And Hum version)
9.) Bullet The Blue Sky (August 12 ? London England ? Wembley Stadium - the Satellite link up and then followed by Bullet) -?The screens show two young Sarajevo women who paint a clear picture of their situation. ?Hello U2,Hello Wembley. My name is Layla,and this is my sister Selma. Two years ago we were living like all teenagers: listening to music, going out, we had schools, friends, plans for the future. Now, we have shells, we have screams of children, our schools are burned down. We will never see many of our friends; they are gone forever. You have read in your history books about Fascism. The same one that destroyed your London 50 years ago. And now, we are living with that history again, here in Bosnia. Before the war, we didn?t know who Major and Mitterand were. But now, our lives depend on them. I think they?re trying to ease their conscience, sending us humanitarian aid. We are thankful for their food. But as long as there is war in Bosnia, they?re only feeding the graveyards. I know that you can?t exert influence on their decisions, but at least ask yourselves, who leads you. I hope you enjoy your concert tonight, but you should realize that your politicians are letting you, and us, down.? Tonight?s version of ?Bullet The Blue Sky? is angrier than ever, as the song not only criticizes American politically motivated intervention El Salvador, but now also attacks America and the European Community for not intervening in Bosnia. Bono screams highly aggressively: ?Outside it?s America?..America?.where the fuck are you ?! United Kingdom: fuck you ! Fuck you Germany ! Fuck you France ! Zoo-nited nations, Zoo-nited nations !?? (U2 Live: A Concert Documentary ? Pimm Jal de la Parrra ? Omnibus Press ? London ? 1997 - p. 168-169)
10.) Miss Sarajevo ? album version or Modena version or Sarajevo version?
11.) Please (Sarajevo version) ? I would like to include a couple other snippets of Bono speaking to Sarajevans during the concert at the beginning of Please - see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
12.) North And South Of The River (Omagh Bombing Tribute)
13.) New Year?s Day ? a great live version? ? written for the Solidarity Movement in Poland ? I?m thinking it would be great to mix in a couple snippets from Bono?s Harvard Address on June 6 / 2001? ? and we have excellent audio and video of it - see Social Justice With U2 album lyrics
14.) Mothers Of The Disappeared (6:17) (Chile version) -Bono singing it with the 100-000 in the stadium where Pinochet?s regime tortured and murdered thousands and with it being broadcast live on Chile TV and with the actual Mothers Of The Disappeared on the stage
15.) One (7:07?) + 4 minutes? of Notre Dame One (Chile version with Bono?s plea to General Pinochet [1:55]) and
16.) Walk On (Tribute to 9/11 version) ? a second ending with inserting Bono?s live dedication to Aung San Suu Kyi? ? the song was dedicated to her in the album liner notes / concert tour book / and dozens and dozens of times in concert ? the opposition leader and Nobel Peace Laureate from Myanmar who was imprisoned by the dictatorship ? she won the 1990 election by a landslide but has been prevented from taking office

Other Songs?
Do They Know It?s Christmas?
A song performed by U2 from Northern Ireland?s Yes concert
Bad (from Live Aid)
Jesus Christ
Fortunate Son
Seconds

Sounds like the most depressing album ever.

In a good way, though.

People should stop replying to things with one word (ouizy) or no words (bayernfc). It's not much of a forum if you don't actually discuss anything.

Last edited:
People should stop replying to things with one word (ouizy) or no words (bayernfc). It's not much of a forum if you don't actually discuss anything.

People shouldn't post "trivial" information in the first place. :blahblah:

actually my man, there is a version with the MLK speech in the background, i downloaded it during the old napster days.... try to look it up on kazaa or i could email it to you or whatever....but yeah that sounds like a good idea

Back
Top Bottom