New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I trust U2's not-so-commercial instincts (Moment of Surrender) far more than I trust U2's commercial instincts (GOYB).

Any new news latelu on the u2 front?

Bono recently went to Peru on vacation with his family.

Edge is working on a film project with MTV.

Crew members were spotted moving some of the band's equipment out of the studio and onto a truck.

That is LITERALLY all that has gone on since 2012 began.

gareth brown said:

...so you're saying a new album's right the corner?!?!?! :eek:

Lots of hits Edge on fire from Jupiter we might maybe see three albums lots of hits maybe we'll see

Depends on your definitions of "will" and "be".

And "album" and "remastered".

Seems like U2 are taking this "why release a new U2 album" stuff rather seriously. Either make it brilliant or not at all.

Then again, with NLOTH, "Spider-Man", touring, Bono's back, re-release of AB, and a lot of crap (no Grammy's, lower sales for NLOTH, no big hits, and lots of "Spider-Man" heat), it's probably best U2 don't do too much for a while.

U2's newest album will be called "Lots and Lots of Hits That Will Chart". It will be produced by Jimmy Iovine, Larry Mullen Junior, Rick Rubin, and Snoop Dogg, and will feature such singles and "Sex on a Stick" and a cover of Rebecca Black's magnum opus, "Friday".

What could go wrong?

I trust U2's not-so-commercial instincts (Moment of Surrender) far more than I trust U2's commercial instincts (GOYB).

Between those two songs, of course. But I wouldn't rule out every song they make that features distortion, bar chords, or a higher BPM just yet, haha.

trevgreg said:
Between those two songs, of course. But I wouldn't rule out every song they make that features distortion, bar chords, or a higher BPM just yet, haha.

I agree. When done properly (Vertigo), those songs can instantly become a favorite.

Thought I'd throw out another thing. Pat Monahan from Train had a great quote in a Billboard article recently that I want to share below. Would be interesting to get your guys' thoughts on it.

"When you listen to songs that become hit songs, they have one thing in common and there's only one thing I've ever seen in common with any of them: and that's the song you want to hear over and over again."

I doubt we all would like even 10 percent of the songs on a Top 100 chart at any given time, but I think he does have a point. This is probably the reason that BD and Vertigo hit such a wide audience and did such a good job on it. With GOYB, I stick by what I've said before in that it sounds more like an album track than anything. One that you hear every so often rather than something you constantly want to hit repeat too.

I wouldn't doubt that U2 can create a great single and a great song at the same time with their future albums. They've done it before, right? Just because a lot of us hit repeat on the other tracks last time around (for the most part) doesn't mean that we can't have the best of both worlds either.

"When you listen to songs that become hit songs, they have one thing in common and there's only one thing I've ever seen in common with any of them: and that's the song you want to hear over and over again."
That's just stating the obvious.

That's just stating the obvious.

But for all the complaints about singles being the devil's work, it's worth restating (I say that in jest!). The point I was trying to make was that being a catchy single that's loud, dancey, fast, or otherwise catches the ears in some way doesn't mean it's a bad song, you know?

There won't be a U2 album for a while, because Bono and Edge will probably be in court for all that Spiderman stuff for a long time.

Does anyone share the believe that there is a chance that the next album (whenever that may be) could be their last? :reject: I remember reading somewhere that a few years back they signed a deal to release a ton of material but that may not necessarily mean just new stuff.

Julie Taymor in her lawsuit alleged that Bono ruined Spiderman because he was too busy recording the new U2 album.

know hope.

Then Julie Taymor is factually a bitch. She ruins her own work just fine.

trevgreg said:

I don't think I've listened to any song from NLOTH nearly as much as Moment of Surrender.

Back
Top Bottom