New album rumor from U2log... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #76
The Male

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
While I'm afraid of Eno/Lanois helping the next album become another ATYCLB, let's not assume that the producers dictate the style and direction of the album. There's no doubt in my mind that the band wanted to go back to basics for the last two albums, and Eno/Lanois just serviced their request. My problem with ATYCLB does not rest with the album's production. Now the idea of spending more time writing and less recording is something that didn't help, but you can't blame it all on the producers.

If the band wants to try something different again, I still think Eno would be a great choice. If Lanois is there too, hopefully he won't be as resistant to change as he was during the AB sessions.

My ultimate choice would still be Nigel Godrich, who has helped bands like Radiohead explore new territory, while also making albums of restrained songwriting craft with Beck. I just read an interview with Thom Yorke about Godrich's assistance on his solo album, and he seems like a guy who pushes his artists as well as any other producer. Rick Rubin isn't the only guy who can whip someone into shape.
I'm so glad Eno/Lanois won't help the band make another ATYCLB. I'm not sure if I could stomach that or not. What do you mean by "writing more than recording" as a negative? I thought the songs were always the most important part.

Cut Lanois at least. If it's only Edge/Eno/Flood like in the 90's, that could work. I like Nigel Godrich on a short-term basis, but he ultimately ruined Radiohead (who haven't made a good record since Kid A) and I'm afraid that his influence could lead down a bad road. McCartney's Godrich record was great, and I think his new one with Beck will be fantastic, but his sound doesn't work with every artist.

I think Rubin is a fascinating choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
As for U2's loss of creativity and youth...and they'll never make songs a "great" as the late 90's.... That is comedy at it's finest.
I know! Isn't it?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 08:00 AM
U2 don't tend to make the same mistakes twice. I don't see a switch in producers, Bono making defining statements about an album not released or a long layoff. If this is an album we're talking about here, I bet we see it January-March of 2007.

I do have two concerns;

1) I can't seem them launching another world tour after just completing one, nor can I see them not touring in support of this album.

2) Okay, the engineer is identified, but we haven't heard anything about a producer. The producer comes before the engineer. Unless they've decided to produce themselves? That would be interesting.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:00 PM
No more Flood please unless he's only mixing.

I thought the band spent less time writing as Edge "made his homework" on ATYCLB and Bomb (as Adam put it) and brought in chords and melodies to work with.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Yes, I'm just saying, with their known affection for The Beatles, Bono's ego (biggest band in the world)...the biggest band in the world is recording in the biggest studios in the world to make the biggest album in the world, right?

It will look like they're deliberately challenging the Beatles at making a perfect album. Like they're saying "we're making music in their studio, we ARE as good as them". Just wait if they call out for George Martin to produce/mix...

Are you being serious?

I hope you don't think that Abbey Road Studios closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits.
They've been central to many artists, post-Beatles, as well as a slew of extremely well made movie soundtracks. It's not a "Beatles studio."
Second, Bono isn't that big of an idiot to try and challenge his idols. If anything it's just a big nod to them, not a challenge. and that's it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

as well as a slew of extremely well made movie soundtracks. It's not a "Beatles studio.".
The soundtracks might be done there because it looks pretty massive - big enough to hold an orchestra. U2 could be using that studio/location to draw inspiration from, as they have done a bit in the past with albums .
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

orchestra.

I'd like an orchestra.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 08-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #83
War Child

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Some of you people must over-analyze your bowel movements.
good God.
They are using Abbey Road Studios because their normal space is unavailable and it is a quality studio.
jeez.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

I like Nigel Godrich on a short-term basis, but he ultimately ruined Radiohead (who haven't made a good record since Kid A) and I'm afraid that his influence could lead down a bad road.

On the topic of Nigel's role on the past 3 RH albums, I have some doubts that he deserves so much of the blame and credit that he gets for whatever it is that people like or don't like about Kid A/Amnesiac and HTTT. Nigel might have been responsible for some of the decisions about how those albums sounded, but ultimately he was doing mostly what Thom and the rest of the band wanted him to do

and As for Godrich causing the "experimental" nature of Kid A, I remember Thom describing the recording of Kid A and Amnesiac being the complete opposite to how Godrich wanted to work.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra

They are using Abbey Road Studios because their normal space is unavailable and it is a quality studio.
jeez.
So they will draw no inspiration for the album from the historic studio, just like they drew no inspiration from Slane Castle for UF.

There are tons of great studios out there.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by YBORCITYOBL
Rumors are fun!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
What is odd to me is that these "rumors" keep getting reported from the same "unofficial" source and you dont see it reported ANYWHERE else.
So, Appleton Wisconson's Post Cresant newspaper keeps reporting rumors about U2's new album? ... 'cause it's their story that's the source of this rumor. I believe the way U2log works, (similar to atU2 and Interference's news forum) is people send them news items and they post and comment on their site. I don't think they're making up rumors out of thin air.

Anyway, I think some people are going a bit off the deep end in here. The article says they will be engineering songs for the next album, which only means they're going to do some recording so we know at some point (who the heck knows when it really will come out) there will be a new album. You're not getting a new album at the end of next month, people.

After breezing through this thread I have to say that this place just gets so darn weird sometimes...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #88
War Child

Local Time: 02:00 PM
a.) RHCP are great. Stadium Arcadium was beautiful.

b.) I doubt this rumor is true. Metallica has confirmed that Rubin will begin producing their album beginning this fall. And God knows U2 will not complete an entire album in the month of October and the boys from Metallica are notorious for being workhorses, so it's doubtful that Rubin will be able to split his time between the two.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:00 AM
If U2 don't step up their game or at least toss us a curveball, then I don't think it matters one bit who's producing.

They've either learned the lessons of the past and don't want to repeat them. Or they've learned the lessons of the past and really like winning Grammies.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Are you being serious?

I hope you don't think that Abbey Road Studios closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits.
They've been central to many artists, post-Beatles, as well as a slew of extremely well made movie soundtracks. It's not a "Beatles studio."
Second, Bono isn't that big of an idiot to try and challenge his idols. If anything it's just a big nod to them, not a challenge. and that's it.
Exactly! The Beatles weren't the only musicians to make albums at Abbey Road. Honestly, if it weren't for the album title of the same name, most music fans probably wouldn't even care about Abbey Road.

But no, certain people around this forum will continue to invent new things for other people to complain about.