New album rumor from U2log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rubin's stuff has edge to it (no pun intended). his song with jay-z (99 Problems), although lyrically uninspiring and a little crude, sounded really cool. i think it would be nice and off the beaten track a little for them to work with someone like rubin. by the way, i don't know how accurate the appelton, wisconsin paper is or how 'inside' their information is, but it gives us hope (false or otherwise). :wink:

The John Tree said:
a.) RHCP are great. Stadium Arcadium was beautiful.

b.) I doubt this rumor is true. Metallica has confirmed that Rubin will begin producing their album beginning this fall. And God knows U2 will not complete an entire album in the month of October and the boys from Metallica are notorious for being workhorses, so it's doubtful that Rubin will be able to split his time between the two.

A) No.

B) I've read several articles on the Rubin/Metallica collaboration, and there have been no dates mentioned in any of them. Besides, Rubin said he's only spending a month (September) with U2, because he has other plans in October.

The Robins and Fidelman will be ensconced at Sound City studio in Van Nuys (the same place where Nirvana made “Nevermind” and Tom Petty made “Wildflowers” and “Damn the Torpedoes”) through the end of the month and again in October.

I think people on here need to figure out what they want. You all say you want a different direction and a new sound and then you want RICK RUBIN. Who happens to be as pop as it gets. He's billed to produce LINKIN PARK's new album. I think most of you want rubin because everyone else thinks its a good idea. I dont trust or respect anyone named Rick. Especially when its paired with a last name that starts with the same letter like casey casem.

All i want is U2 to bring some big ideas to the table again and to get rid of those cute noises theyve seemed to have picked up.

Screwtape2 said:

I understand what you're saying. My point is that the quality of songs that the Chili Peppers are making are in the U2 equivelant of the mid to late 90's. U2 doesn't have the ability anymore to make enough great songs to match the late 90's. The Peppers are hitting thier musical peak while U2 is on the other slope. To get from Rubin what you are suggesting is impossible in my eyes. That's the point I'm trying to make. The double album comment was just to point out that they have trouble making an eleven song album.

I beg to differ, I think its just different time and era.

t8thgr8 said:
I think people on here need to figure out what they want. You all say you want a different direction and a new sound and then you want RICK RUBIN. Who happens to be as pop as it gets.

That's what I think everytime I listen to one of my Rick Rubin-produced Slayer albums.

ANGEL OF DEATH!!!!

t8thgr8 said:
All i want is U2 to bring some big ideas to the table again and to get rid of those cute noises theyve seemed to have picked up.

I thought the silly chimes had died with Stuck In A Moment. Then we got Crumbs. :sick:

I agree with your sentiments. Fresh ideas and no elevator music sheen. I don't care who the bloody producers or the engineers are.

Rick Rubin Rumored To Produce Velvet Revolver's New Album "Liberated"
posted Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 09:26:36 AM by deathbringer. (thanks Total Rock)

Although nothing has been confirmed, Rick Rubin is now the strong favourite to produce the second album from Velvet Revolver. To be titled 'Libertad', expect a release early in 2007.

As previously reported, Velvet Revolver are to break from recording to play a couple of shows in Kelseyville, California on July 29 and Paso Robles, California on July 30. The band had been preparing songs since coming off the road last year and were to have entered the studio on April 10 to begin working on their sophomore effort.

the Metallica one:

M. Shadows: Why did you decide not to work with Bob Rock on your new album? And how is it working with Rick Rubin?

Lars Ulrich: "We're just getting started, really. 'St. Anger' was kind of an isolated experiment, where we wrote and recorded everything at the same time in the studio. But we're kind of back to the way we use to do it before 'St. Anger', which is kind of a writing phase and then a recording phase. Contrary to general belief, we're not actually in the recording phase yet — we're just writing. We've had half a dozen meetings with Rick, and he just comes up and listens. We're just kind of feeling each other out, kind of getting to know each other. Once we start the recording phase of it, which should hopefully be this fall, that's when his big input will come. In 1990, when we started using Bob, it was because Bob made all the best rock records that were going on at that time — MÖTLEY CRÜE, DAVID LEE ROTH, THE CULT — and he was involved in the engineering of all the BON JOVI records. Everything that was going on in the late Eighties was all about Bob Rock. And now, everything that's great about rock — from SLIPKNOT to SYSTEM OF A DOWN to the CHILI PEPPERS to MARS VOLTA, and even the JOHNNY CASH and NEIL DIAMOND records — it's all Rick Rubin. The same thing that brought us to Bob 15 years ago is now kind of bringing us to Rick. We want to work with the guy who's got the total finger on the pulse. And Bob was the first one to bless it, to say, 'Look, I don't know what else I can offer you 15 years later.' We finish each other's sentences. We know what he's going to say, and he knows what we're going to say. We made, what, like, five records with him? And he really had been the fifth member of our band for the last 15 years. As painful as it is, getting his blessing first was really important to us. So, so far, every side of it has been great."

I'm just posting those so we know which ones to watch.

People in the business seem to talk amongst themselves and to the press.

I just don't think it's a fit for an album project.
Maybe a single, or a few songs it would be a cool thing to do.

Perhaps Rubin has made clones of himself. That's the only way he could be producing eleventy billion albums at once.

If they went to Rubin, how much of "Look, these aging, middle-aged rockers went to Rubin like everyone else to spark some fire under their asses" will they get?

Whomever they go to.....they just need to make sure that all the producers can be counted on only one hand....:eyebrow:

AtomicBono said:
Perhaps Rubin has made clones of himself. That's the only way he could be producing eleventy billion albums at once.

Eleventy billion, that's not even a real number Mr. Reeves

ferrelltrebekij7.jpg

...yet.

Oh My God people!
Half the posts on here bash U2's recent stuff but want to hear old stuff, then they bash the old stuff and Lanois/Eno and want a new sound but not with a new producer but with a new one but not a new one maybe an old one but only if sounds new but old.

Why don't you go analyze the typeface of the liner notes from the last few 3 albums.
I am sure there is some great font discussion just dying to take place.
Meanwhile I'll be enjoying some U2 tunes.

We wonder why the world can't get along. The fans of the most positive and inspiring rock band to ever walk the earth can't agree on a producer.
Kind of kills my hopes for the Mideast.

Utoo said:
If they went to Rubin, how much of "Look, these aging, middle-aged rockers went to Rubin like everyone else to spark some fire under their asses" will they get?

How much? Tons.

Let's face it, U2 has affirmed their positions of either the critical mass darlings or the supposedly credible whipping boys.

U2 is taking it up the ass in a lot of places outside of this forum, yet you post one, singular comment, even half-complimentiary in some ways on EYKIW and it's 8 pages in an hour or two.

U2 have gone beyond Rattle and Hum, they've taken it beyond the days of 1989, I'm not saying anything about the music, good, bad, indifferent, I'm saying image-wise, U2 has never had a worse problem that they have right now. If they follow up with ATYCLB III, good, bad, inidfferent, it could spell some pretty negative things for the group.

The good thing is, it will never be more clear what U2 are all about with album #12. If it's ATYCLB III, then they are just the fucking fame whores that the Rollins of the world said, and Eno and Lanois probably did help push their sound along, that is, the best of it.

If they make something in a different vein, they fuck everybody up slightly, one more time. They could stand up for an image overhaul as well. I don't care about such things, but U2 does. God damn, nobody is as insincere as a man wearing sunglasses indoors. FUCK. Baffling. Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's. Larry, even I'd make out with you, stay clear of the quasi-mullet. Adam, no gripes at all, start smoking and drinking again, by all means.

Great post, U2DMfan. Not much more to say, other than that I agree entirely with most of what you had to say. I post at plenty of other band forums, and U2 (for the most part) have got a bad name virtually everywhere. It was that iPod advert that really pushed many people over the edge. They're treated as a bit of a joke, really. I obviously don't care what other people think about U2, but it's not going to do them any favours to "complete the trinity," as it were. Bono said in an interview a few years ago that he didn't want to turn into a rock dinosaur. Well...by trying to appear hip and youthful to appeal to teenagers and young adults, that's exactly what's happening.

U2DMfan said:

God damn, nobody is as insincere as a man wearing sunglasses indoors. FUCK. Baffling. Edge, well they gay hats, you're bald, let it go man, nobody cares, this isn't the superfiicial 80's. Larry, even I'd make out with you, stay clear of the quasi-mullet. Adam, no gripes at all, start smoking and drinking again, by all means.

Man you have some issues...

Not only do you use gay as a derogative, but you encourage an alcoholic to drink...:|

Utoo said:

Whomever they go to.....they just need to make sure that all the producers can be counted on only one hand....:eyebrow:

I don't think that would matter if the results were spectacular.

GibsonGirl said:
but it's not going to do them any favours to "complete the trinity," as it were.

Have they ever completed a trinity? Honestly? This whole trilogy, trinity thing is bullshit, I haven't seen one...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Have they ever completed a trinity? Honestly? This whole trilogy, trinity thing is bullshit, I haven't seen one...

I'm just going by what it seems a lot of people here are calling for - a third album that expands on the themes and musical nature of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I personally don't buy the trinity thing myself. Pop is nothing like Zooropa. War is nothing like Boy. However, it seems like there are quite a few of the less vocal posters around here who would be perfectly happy with an ATYCLB part III. Entitled to feel that way, of course, but I do think that another album in the same vein would not be good for U2 at all.

GibsonGirl said:

I'm just going by what it seems a lot of people here are calling for - a third album that expands on the themes and musical nature of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I personally don't buy the trinity thing myself. Pop is nothing like Zooropa. War is nothing like Boy. However, it seems like there are quite a few of the less vocal posters around here who would be perfectly happy with an ATYCLB part III. Entitled to feel that way, of course, but I do think that another album in the same vein would not be good for U2 at all.

I can agree with that...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Man you have some issues...

Not only do you use gay as a derogative, but you encourage an alcoholic to drink...:|

Assume what you will, you always do.

I'll never be accused of having a void of humor or being a completely condescending jagoff, so I'm not sure you'd understand.

Don't pretend to know anything about me.

All you know about me is what I sold you.

U2DMfan said:

I'll never be accused of having a void of humor or being a completely condescending jagoff, so I'm not sure you'd understand.

Are you sure? These are the whisperings around the watercooler.:wink:

PlaTheGreat said:

:huh:

Are you being serious?

I hope you don't think that Abbey Road Studios closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits.
They've been central to many artists, post-Beatles, as well as a slew of extremely well made movie soundtracks. It's not a "Beatles studio."
Second, Bono isn't that big of an idiot to try and challenge his idols. If anything it's just a big nod to them, not a challenge. and that's it.

Yes.

I never said Abbey Road "closed as soon as The Beatles decided to call it quits." I'm aware other bands and non-Beatle music was recorded there. (I forgot to add the infamous "we're stealing it back" comment in Rattle and Hum to the post you were commenting on)

I will add this here because it's a response to the same post: Abbey Road is famous because The Beatles recorded there, not because there is an album by that name. Some people need to lay off being the thought police here.

edited to add: I think the first album after the band is 50 will be the most important since AB and ATYCLB.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

I see what you're seeing, but to me they seem like progressions.

For example: October seems like a progression fromm Boy in terms of sound, and War sounds like a better progression from October, yet doesn't sound like Boy.

I think it applies to albums in 3s, but 4 from Achtung -> Zooropa -> Passengers -> Pop. If that makes any sense

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Well...by trying to appear hip and youthful to appeal to teenagers and young adults, that's exactly what's happening.

Certainly, nobody with half a brain believes that. All it takes is about 30 seconds of any U2 song for at least a decade to realize they're obsessed with their mid-life issues. There's no way that anybody could argue that U2 are hiding those issues, either. They've been very upfront about them.

It's pure simple-mindedness that would label the IPod advert as an 'appeal to hipness'. There are no hip qualities to U2's recent music. Which is precisely why they were driven to shove it in the face of a mass audience.

Why should the unhip have to take a backseat? Why should the old have to take a backseat? I think it's farly brave for somebody to fight those notions. So few have. Nothing wrong with U2 using some subversive means like a glossy advert to win some converts to their decidedly unglossy themes and issues. Fortunatley, U2 havn't weakened to the point where they only care about appealing to the already converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom