New Album Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Okay, I'm liking Stateless more the second time around! Quite a sexy number. :wink:

the ending sounds great through headphones:drool:

Stateless reminds me of George Michael from his solo days of Listen Without Prejudice and Older.

I mean this in a good way. :wink:

My email is woolymammals@gmail.com if someone would be kind enough to email me Stateless... it does sound like it has great lyrics, I can certainly identify with the line "I've got no hope in this world, just you, and you are not mine." Excuse me while I go be emo... :wink:

I think the division in the U2 community started with ATYCLB and then got bigger with HTDAAB... it's weird because I'm kind of on both sides. On the one side I think they're both great albums with some real magic moments, on the other my heart belongs to 90's U2 and I miss the more daring approach...

Levitate? Good song, I love it when it kicks into full AB mode, but it sure needs some lyrical work... :huh: the line "freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" gets me every time, it's not BAD necessarily but it's...ODD... and I can't believe it's been floating around in Bono's brain for like five years :laugh:

Mail on its way:wink:

hmm the line:

"freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head"

probably means something to Bono that none of us have ever been able to figure out or will ever figure out:huh: he is an intriguing charcter though:D

The division comes, essentialy, from what it is you like or love about U2 songs, what it is you listen for in them, what you love them to be.

Are ATYCLB & HTDAAB good albums? In the other thread people are scoring the songs out of 10. If I don't compare them to other U2 songs, only everything else that is out there at the moment in that genre, the lowest scores would be around 6 or 7. But if I score them against every other U2 album, with songs like One getting a 10, then the highest any song gets would have to be about a 5. When I listen to my local commercial FM station, full of all the Ashley Simpson crap that it is, and hear Vertigo slice through the airwaves, how does it score? 10/10 of course. Outstanding song. But compared to The Fly? 3/10 at best. Weak, shallow, gimmicky. That's also why people are in two minds about the album. It's a great album, but only average at the same time.

Listen again to Stateless and compare it to Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. In here, in this forum, some of us can see a huge difference in songwriting, creativity, sonic and emotional depth between those two. Others don't. One of those songs really resonates with me, the other leaves me completely bone dry. Both are technically very, very simple songs. One of those songs is good and nice and well written enough, better, as I said, then just about anything you'll hear on your local FM station. The other has a real depth to it, a real spirit, that is to me what is missing from the last two albums, that U2 magic that has always been what drew me so deeply into their songs.

It's not that Sometimes is a bad song, because it's not, it's just that the poor thing comes from a ridiculously amazing family of songs, and it just wasn't born with the same personality or qualities.

Somewhere in there is the main part of the answer, and the rest of the divisions all come from there. The what, why, how etc create divisions of their own.

I think most men would think of babies as creating the opposite of freedom. "Responsibility and no money has a scent like the top of a new born babies head."

Earnie Shavers said:
I think most men would think of babies as creating the opposite of freedom. "Responsibility and no money has a scent like the top of a new born babies head."

Well said! :lol:

See... Rebel U2 of 1980 - 1997 would have thought that way!

If anywould wouldn't mind sending me statelss...

Irishdawg90@gmail.com or a YSI would be great.

Thanks ahead of time. I've heard a lot of good things about it, need to hear it for myself. If it's anything like Levitate... :drool:

Thanks LJT. I've only listened to it twice but so far I like it a lot... it's a very simple, understated song but it's really beautiful, especially at the end... I have the feeling I'll like it more everytime I listen to it. I think it has that ethereal quality that certain U2 songs have...

Earnie Shavers said:
The division comes, essentialy, from what it is you like or love about U2 songs, what it is you listen for in them, what you love them to be.

Could not be said better.

The reason for all this so called "griping" is because U2 is still great, they haven't lost anything, maybe we take issue with how they use their greatness lately, but it's not bashing.

Zootlesque said:

Okay, it's on it's way! :wink:

Thanks you, it's a great song, reminds me a bit of TGBHF. It makes me wonder how many great songs U2 have had that they either scratched or didn't release... :huh:

BTW, where can i go to hear "This" by Eno? I can't find it anywhere.

U2DMfan said:
Has anyone heard Brian Eno's new single?
It's called 'This'

and it's fucking incredible, IMO.

thanks for the heads up, I'll go check it out.

They should look at "Mercy", fix it up and put it on the new album, and then go from there. :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

Also, the backlash is on their doorstep waiting to come in and trash the house. They are soooooo close to it. I read and hear far more negative stuff about U2 now then ever before. I think that how U2 close off their career will go a long way to determining how they are forever immortalised, and if they finish it off with 3 or 4 shallow pop albums over 10-15 years - they're fucked. If they finish it off with a couple of mindblowing, critically acclaimed, sonicaly amazing, deep albums they'll sit at the mountain top forever. They've done what they felt they needed to after Pop's failure in the US. They're the biggest band in the world and the only other band that can claim the title openly hold them up as their greatest inspiration. Like I said in another thread, the way for U2 to show some balls now is to take the risk of not being the biggest band in the world. Show all these teenagers who have been suckered in by the pied piper songs like Vertigo, with HTDAAB sitting on their shelves next Sum 41 and Gwen Steffani, what real music is. Finish it off with some amazing music that no-one will forget.

I don't know, I think even if they died in a plane crash in 92 they'd be legends (death is a career move in rock).

IMO no matter what their albums will be like, it's hard to say that albums like War and JT and AB don't give them place among the classic bands.

I think U2 have already established their greatness...many bands openly admit their influence...such as The Killers (im on the unofficial board and ever since Brandon Flowers started talking about how great U2 are more teenies as such have started listening to U2)....so many people who claim to hate U2 now will be the ones in 10 years time (if U2 have retired) telling everyone how great they are...kinda sad its that way...but i think U2s greatness is sealed:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

I'm a little late to this but I think he's talking about a world of possibilities. A newborn is unmarked has a whole future ahead of them. i love this line myself newborn babies smell heavenly:yes:

Back
Top Bottom