New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I think ATYCLB was the last album to come out when they originally planned for it. Oct 2000, to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Boy.

Joshua Tree was even supposed to be released in late 1986, but got pushed back. Same exact thing happened 10 years later. Crazy. This is nothing new... this current album they're working on was supposed to be released before the 2010 dates began... then late 2010... now we're looking at May 2011, so we'll see.

ATYCLB was rumored for early 2000. I couldn't find the exact article but I did find these that all speculate earlier release dates than October.

Aug 1999
- the next U2 tour will be mainly in arenas - the next Best Of album is already finished and ready for a release this fall (1999) - U2's next studio album will probably be released in April or May, 2000 - about the new songs, Joe said "Edge has taken his guitar back out of the case" - this is Joe O'Herlihy speaking

Oct 1999
U2 is just one or two tracks shy of completing a studio release that's expected by mid-2000. The Irish quartet has settled on about 15 songs and is struggling for a final dramatic tune "that forces you to go on the road," says singer Bono.

Dec 1999
U2's new album will be "the greatest record we've ever made," according to the band's bassist Adam Clayton. As yet there is no confirmed title, track listing or release date, though a spokesperson for the band did confirm, when contacted by Music365, that the album will be released in late summer.

Additionally, would you folks like some classic Bono bullshit?
Sep 1999
"We're about two songs away from a classic U2 album," Bono added. "

I believe they finished in July, so it only took nearly a year to get those two songs.
Just an omen of things to come, I guess.

Pessimism is rampant. Granted, we all know the history, but a followup to NLOTH dates back to 2009, so we've already had going on 2 years of the rumor-and-delay game. McG said they were at the mixing stage, and at this point they have what seems to be a finished project with DM, and prior to the NA dates is pretty much the only time they can release it. The music world has been buzzing about it for a long time now, DM's name brought even more attention to it, and the 360 tour is wrapping up this year, they can't really wait until fall and launch a new tour early next year. Nor can they seriously start work on multiple projects, buzz about them and release nothing.

Right now in the press U2 and Danger Mouse are synynomous (sp?) with one another. Any article about U2 mentions Danger Mouse producing their next album, and any article I read about Danger mouse mentions U2. They'd be absolutely crazy to not release this album ASAP, it's going to get so much Hype just because of who's producing it!

Pessimism is rampant. Granted, we all know the history, but a followup to NLOTH dates back to 2009, so we've already had going on 2 years of the rumor-and-delay game. McG said they were at the mixing stage, and at this point they have what seems to be a finished project with DM, and prior to the NA dates is pretty much the only time they can release it. The music world has been buzzing about it for a long time now, DM's name brought even more attention to it, and the 360 tour is wrapping up this year, they can't really wait until fall and launch a new tour early next year. Nor can they seriously start work on multiple projects, buzz about them and release nothing.

:up:

Too much evidence that they're finishing it to worry it'll be delayed
... hopefully :shifty:

The music world has been buzzing about it for a long time now, DM's name brought even more attention to it, and the 360 tour is wrapping up this year, they can't really wait until fall and launch a new tour early next year. Nor can they seriously start work on multiple projects, buzz about them and release nothing.

You're exactly right. It would make more sense to release something new while they're already in the midst of a long tour than to release it later and then try to tour again (which I doubt they would, even if the album did get delayed until fall). And since there is so much buzz about it already, they almost have to release it soon.

Did anybody see this yet? I thought it was rather random. :huh:

Lady Gaga Brags, U2 Rivals R.E.M., Strokes for 2011 Rock Crown: Mark Beech

By Mark Beech - Jan 11, 2011 7:00 PM ET

Lady Gaga immodestly predicts her next CD will be “the greatest album of the decade.” She faces tough competition.
Her “Born This Way” single comes out on Feb. 13, the title track of an album due on May 23. It was held back because of the continuing success of the “The Fame” and its versions “The Fame Monster” and “The Remix.”
Beyonce’s next will be her biggest ever, says producer Sean Garrett. Mrs. Jay Z hasn’t set a date for release.
The new Britney Spears single, released Jan. 10 and titled “Hold It Against Me,” ends a three-year absence, and promotes her album set for March. It’s likely to have more of a rock sound than 2008’s pop “Circus.”
It has been even longer -- four years -- since the last Avril Lavigne album. Her “Goodbye Lullaby” is due on March 8. Amy Winehouse has been away five years since the multiple Grammy winner “Back to Black.” We are again being promised a follow- up for this year.
Other British singers will definitely be back. Duffy’s “Endlessly” got buried on release in November, though it may yet be a contender in 2011. Adele will release the Rick Rubin- coproduced “21,” which may surpass the charming 2008 debut “19” (Jan. 24 in U.K., Feb. 22 in U.S.).
Shaking England
“Let England Shake” by P.J. Harvey comes on Feb. 15: I’ve heard an advance copy, and it’s powerful. Alison Krauss, Kelly Rowland, Laura Marling, Shakira and Sophie Ellis-Bextor also will issue new CDs.
U2 will reapply for the job of best band in the world with “Songs of Ascent,” an album likely to appear before it starts a North American tour in May. Keith Richards has hinted at a Rolling Stones tour and a CD.
R.E.M.’s “Collapse Into Now” is confirmed for March 8 and sounds intriguing, with Michael Stipe working with Patti Smith. We’ll also welcome back the Strokes, with their fourth CD due on March 22; the U.K.’s Arctic Monkeys and Elbow; Foo Fighters, the underrated Social Distortion, Beastie Boys, Pulp, Gang of Four and Wire. Take That, reunited with Robbie Williams, will be touring.
I shall be watching for new releases by some less obvious acts such as Plan B, Fleet Foxes, James Blake, Funeral Party, the Naked & Famous and the Vaccines.
I can’t get excited at the prospect of another Coldplay CD, given its predecessor was the overcooked “Viva la Vida.”
Oasis Wreckage
Fans should monitor Beady Eye, the act formed from the wreckage of Oasis by Liam Gallagher. While the singer has never matched the songwriting highs of his brother Noel, he proclaims “Different Gear, Still Speeding,” due on Feb. 28, a work of genius.
As one of the few critics not blown away by Radiohead’s last, I’m hoping for a return to form on the group’s eighth studio album, due this year. I’m more excited by the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ return after the split with John Frusciante.
There are interesting collaborations in the works: Jamie Smith of the group xx, remixing Gil Scott-Heron, “We’re New Here” (out Feb. 22); Kanye West and Jay Z; Jack White with Danger Mouse and Norah Jones. Watch this space.
Download fees vary across services. The CDs will be priced from $12.98 in the U.S. and 9 pounds in the U.K. Release dates are for the U.S. unless otherwise indicated.
(Mark Beech writes for Muse, the arts and leisure section of Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)
To contact the writer on the story: Mark Beech in London at mbeech@bloomberg.net or Mark_Beech on http://twitter.com/home.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at mhoelterhoff@bloomberg.net.

Yeah, Consequence of Sound still used the title SoA in their 2011 preview, sorry Headache, this is what happens when something (finished or not) gets talked about that much.

ATYCLB was rumored for early 2000. I couldn't find the exact article but I did find these that all speculate earlier release dates than October.

Aug 1999
- the next U2 tour will be mainly in arenas - the next Best Of album is already finished and ready for a release this fall (1999) - U2's next studio album will probably be released in April or May, 2000 - about the new songs, Joe said "Edge has taken his guitar back out of the case" - this is Joe O'Herlihy speaking

Oct 1999
U2 is just one or two tracks shy of completing a studio release that's expected by mid-2000. The Irish quartet has settled on about 15 songs and is struggling for a final dramatic tune "that forces you to go on the road," says singer Bono.

Dec 1999
U2's new album will be "the greatest record we've ever made," according to the band's bassist Adam Clayton. As yet there is no confirmed title, track listing or release date, though a spokesperson for the band did confirm, when contacted by Music365, that the album will be released in late summer.

Sep 1999

I believe they finished in July, so it only took nearly a year to get those two songs.

I seem to recall they were originally aiming for late 1999, then when it got delayed Bono came up with some BS about "anything released before 2000 will instantly seem 100 years old."

Songs Of Ascent was already mentioned in articles about exptected 2010 releases so I think this is just another article that rehashes the rumours.

newsID-9-image.jpg

bars3.jpg

This continuing myth of "Songs of Ascent" reminds me of this:

November 2002
W: Okay. So when do you think you'll be sitting down to record it?

EDGE: Well, we're actually -- we're working on it at the moment, I'm putting some music together on my Macintosh. I know Bono is working on lyrics.

BONO: I have to tell you this, because Larry and Adam haven't heard it. Edge brought around a CD of a new tune. It's just a provision title, "Full Metal Jacket." It's the roughest, it's the mother of all rock and roll tunes. I don't know where it came from, but it's a remarkable guitar thing. You want to hear it. It's a reason to make a record. This song is that good.

Feb 2003
All That, the magnet for seven GRAMMY awards, including back-to-back wins for Record of the Year, is a hard act to follow. How is the next U2 album shaping up?

(this is Bono speaking)
I just came from the studio today, and it's ridiculous what's going on. Edge is just on fire; he's making the most extraordinary things come out of his guitar. It's astonishing. We came up with a tune today called "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go," which could be a big song. Another one, provisionally titled "Full Metal Jacket," is pure chrome. I'm very excited about what we're doing, and I don't think we're facing that difficult second album syndrome.

and yet...even fans had figured out that this was Vertigo by 2004.

from Rolling fucking Stone - May 2004

Among the other new tracks to be featured on the follow-up to 2000's Grammy-winning All That You Can't Leave Behind is "Full Metal Jacket," which Bono describes as "the mother of all rock tunes."

Even the first article above that was quoted here "mother of all rock tunes" called it a provisional title.

Sep 1999

The problem I have with this logic is that I don't think U2, for the first time in awhile, are trying to create "a classic U2 album." I really believe the band want some new tunes to show off with the 360-stage design - a grand scale that U2 might not attempt again for a very long time, if ever. So if we don't get a record from the band this year (and most likely, at the latest, during the U.S. tour), then it will probably be, in my not-so-humble opinion, a few years before we hear something from U2 again (minus the occasional one-off "Best Of" single... or maybe "Sky Hawk" for the new Spider-man movie :giggle:).

The problem I have with this logic is that I don't think U2, for the first time in awhile, are trying to create "a classic U2 album." I really believe the band want some new tunes to show off with the 360-stage design - a grand scale that U2 might not attempt again for a very long time, if ever. So if we don't get a record from the band this year (and most likely, at the latest, during the U.S. tour), then it will probably be, in my not-so-humble opinion, a few years before we hear something from U2 again (minus the occasional one-off "Best Of" single... or maybe "Sky Hawk" for the new Spider-man movie :giggle:).

I think you make a good point about the goals maybe being different this time.

But when you start to think we will have another material drought soon, don't forget that the band is talking about 4 projects. I suspect they're going to be more regular with their output this decade than last.

They're not on their last big tour, but maybe they are reaching the point where they understand it won't go on forever. They have the next decade, but who knows how much after that? I expect releases pretty regularly for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom