New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case I thought the problem was that the tour was booked before the album was done- they couldn't spend the time to finish as they wanted. And word right now is that the album is pretty much in the bag, right?

U2 has done an album drop with tour starting immediately once before... didn't quite work out so well.

Yes, but that was not on purpose. Which led to other problems.

The only successful tour and album that would come close is Joshua Tree. Dropped in March, tour started in April. If it is "planned" they will have it finished and be rehearsing before the album is out obviously.

What I'm guessing will happen is album first week of March, tour announced following week which will start in Europe in June, exactly like with 360

Actually when the delayed album does get released it will come as a 6 month anniversary delayed edition, remastered and with liner notes cut and pasted from threads started here at interference documenting what went into delaying the album. Also included, 3 postcards printed on high quality paper featuring the best fake cover art.

In that case I thought the problem was that the tour was booked before the album was done- they couldn't spend the time to finish as they wanted. And word right now is that the album is pretty much in the bag, right?

Yes, apparently.

This would be a much more strategic release / tour plan than the Pop fiasco, I would gather.

Excuse my ignorance, but have U2 ever rehearsed before they released an album?

Joshua Tree. Dropped in March, tour started in April. If it is "planned" they will have it finished and be rehearsing before the album is out obviously.

Yeah, I didn't attend the Joshua Tree tour but I'd be willing to bet that they had been rehearsing those songs to play live in the months leading up to the album release.

Or maybe back then they could actually just rehearse in a couple weeks and hit the road. Not completely unfathomable...

Yeah, I didn't attend the Joshua Tree tour but I'd be willing to bet that they had been rehearsing those songs to play live in the months leading up to the album release.

Or maybe back then they could actually just rehearse in a couple weeks and hit the road. Not completely unfathomable...

are you saying they were a tad more focused on music back then?

are you saying they were a tad more focused on music back then?

I couldn't get the Multi Quote to work, but this post and Gvox's piqued my curiosity.

There was about of 2.5 years between two shows I saw at the same venue in college -- so yes perhaps U2 did not need to rehearse as much back then and were more music focused -- a lot less video too.

Hard to believe it'll be pushing 5 years between albums with this as context, but whatevuh.

U2 Setlist - Denver - Nov 08, 1987 - U2tours.com

U2 Setlist - Denver - Mar 17, 1985 - U2tours.com

IMO, there's no way U2 will release an album and start a tour "shortly" afterwards. They need their time to rehearse the new songs and I don't think they've ever started rehearsing before an official album release.

With NLOTH, they released in early March and put tickets for the tour up on sale shortly afterwards with the first concert taking place in June, so that IS a possibiltiy. I don't think they'd start a tour before June if they indeed released in March.

LOL at the "Bono is too fat" story. As if that would ever delay a U2 album :lol: In fact, he seems to have lost weight and got into shape recently. What could actually happen is that he puts on more weight again over winter if they don't release the album now.

They need some promo activity, performances, tv appearances before Christmas! Even if the album release should happen in Feb/March, I still hope there will be a singe in 2013. Or at least a leaked one!

So they are gonna release the lead single to radio while everyone's attention will be on the winter olympic ?

Maybe the first single will be a protest song bashing Russia's laws against homosexuals. THAT would certainly get attention, and also be awesome because Putin deserves as much criticism as possible for this prejudiced garbage.

Alright... what's happening? 2013... 2014... lolz!

Can't believe it's been 9 years since Bomb!

Heck! Can't believe it's been 4 years since No Line. :(

You know what I can't believe? that it's been 13 years since Atyclb. :| :sad:

But it's been 33 years since Boy... so who gives a fuck?!

Are we sure that U2 is coming out with another album? Maybe Nloth was their final one. lol.

Alright... what's happening? 2013... 2014... lolz!

Can't believe it's been 9 years since Bomb!

Heck! Can't believe it's been 4 years since No Line. :(

You know what I can't believe? that it's been 13 years since Atyclb. :| :sad:

But it's been 33 years since Boy... so who gives a fuck?!

Are we sure that U2 is coming out with another album? Maybe Nloth was their final one. lol.

Perfect. All fans are asking for is to know what it's happening, simply!

I thought we were to believe that it was well established that U2 would never, ever again release an album outside of the 4th quarter of the year?

Personally, I think they are less worried about album sales nowadays.
Times have changed, album don't sell anymore; they are leaked, shared, downloaded, whatever. Surely they realize that the few albums that end up reaching a large enough audience to become major sellers, do so independent of the timing of the release.

However, if they still want their audience to be familiar with new material before they start touring, releasing in the 4th quarter makes perfect sense.
I do hope they still want the audience to connect to their new material.
Otherwise they can just as well tour that last leg of 360 ad nauseum.

IMO, there's no way U2 will release an album and start a tour "shortly" afterwards. They need their time to rehearse the new songs and I don't think they've ever started rehearsing before an official album release.

With NLOTH, they released in early March and put tickets for the tour up on sale shortly afterwards with the first concert taking place in June, so that IS a possibiltiy. I don't think they'd start a tour before June if they indeed released in March.

LOL at the "Bono is too fat" story. As if that would ever delay a U2 album :lol: In fact, he seems to have lost weight and got into shape recently. What could actually happen is that he puts on more weight again over winter if they don't release the album now.

They need some promo activity, performances, tv appearances before Christmas! Even if the album release should happen in Feb/March, I still hope there will be a singe in 2013. Or at least a leaked one!

The fat bono excuse sounds hilarious but it may have some truth to it. If the release of the album has been set for a later date than expected (2014), it could be because the band aren't ready to tour yet. In all honesty bono IS looking pretty damn fat... Man 90's bono looked so cool...

Guys, let's trust our gut feeling...there won't be an album this year, and deep down we know it. The voice in our heads that says there is a possibility of them following Bowie's trend and releasing an album out of the blue is just blind optimism. Nothing bad with that, but come on...
:heart:

The fat bono excuse sounds hilarious but it may have some truth to it. If the release of the album has been set for a later date than expected (2014), it could be because the band aren't ready to tour yet. In all honesty bono IS looking pretty damn fat... Man 90's bono looked so cool...

Obviously, you haven't seen many people who look "pretty damn fat". I think it's quite an insulting thing to say. Bono has actually lost weight, he isn't fat. He's 53 years old and has had a back problem, so I'm pretty sure watching his weight isn't exactly very easy for him since he also loves to eat and drink. In the 90s, except for the POP era where he sometimes IMO looked SICK because he was so thin, he wasn't exactly slim either.

And don't even try comparing a 30/35 year old to someone who's over 50, please.

Others have provided plenty of evidence that contradicts this pretty much..

As for Bono's weight..I mean, I could be going way out on a limb here but I think it was more of a joke than a story of why they may have decided to release in 2014.

Pure personal speculation:

- first single early Feb. if 2 singles, then first one early December
- Album March 10
- Tour either April 25 or May...9th

Flame away! :wink:

Obviously, you haven't seen many people who look "pretty damn fat". I think it's quite an insulting thing to say. Bono has actually lost weight, he isn't fat. He's 53 years old and has had a back problem, so I'm pretty sure watching his weight isn't exactly very easy for him since he also loves to eat and drink. In the 90s, except for the POP era where he sometimes IMO looked SICK because he was so thin, he wasn't exactly slim either.

And don't even try comparing a 30/35 year old to someone who's over 50, please.

And comparing to The edge or Larry?
or Sean Penn, or Jon Bon Jovi, same age? Come on, Bono is too fat....

Well I guess if the album is finished and they are just waiting until early in the year, they've got at least 3 months left in this year alone to bone up on these songs and learn how to play them. I mean, what else will they have to do besides the occasional photo shoot or interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom