New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they are gonna release the lead single to radio while everyone's attention will be on the winter olympic ?

my attention is going to be on the baseball playoffs and NFL season in October and November. I'm pretty sure I can digest listening to new music. Even when the NFL playoffs start in January, I'll be able to make time and notice a new U2 single.

and man, I know it's tough, but I can listen to new music and pay attention to the Olympics in February too. not sure how I'll manage to get through.

Bono will likely say " we really want 2014 to be our year"

Remember when NoLOTH was supposed to come out fall 2008?? Bono "2009 is going to be our year".

Sorry I don't.

In highlighting in bold I was just trying to make a distinction between "album" and, say, "record", which some also call "single".

I see, gotcha :up:

When you think about it, it makes sense.

Bono's still fat. They can't be in promo mode if Bono's still fat.

:D very likely he will put on even more weight during the holidays

I think it wouldn't be right for me to get into specifics publicly, yet anyways.

Fair enough.

You had mentioned not long ago that Bono has just finished laying out the track order which of course would indicate that the album is finished. That would suggest to me that the reason for delaying it into March would not be for artistic reasons unless something drastic had changed at the 11th hour. And you had also stated that the reason for delay was not because they were afraid of going head to head with artists in the fall release. I am not prodding you into giving an answer for which you may feel uncomfortable but merely providing what seems like, based on your info, reasons why it is not being delayed.

Fair enough.

You had mentioned not long ago that Bono has just finished laying out the track order which of course would indicate that the album is finished. That would suggest to me that the reason for delaying it into March would not be for artistic reasons unless something drastic had changed at the 11th hour. And you had also stated that the reason for delay was not because they were afraid of going head to head with artists in the fall release. I am not prodding you into giving an answer for which you may feel uncomfortable but merely providing what seems like, based on your info, reasons why it is not being delayed.

Maybe gvox will answer you by pm. He said he wouldn't in public anyway...

One thing I've noticed about being a U2 fan is that the "good" rumours never pan out whereas the "bad" ones always do!
Seems like U2 have no confidence in themselves and their music.

You had mentioned not long ago that Bono has just finished laying out the track order which of course would indicate that the album is finished.

Whoa, did I say that? I think you might have me mixed up with someone else.

It was always my thought that the album was not actually completely finished, given that the people who I know have heard the album said that they were told that some elements still needed to be added to the songs.

As it is, the album is for all intents finished, is the latest word.

My personal interpretation of the new info is this, without getting into specifics: we know they lost Mark Fischer (RIP), huge loss in terms of planning a new design for the upcoming tour. Given that and added to what I was told, they may have just decided that the best course of action would be to roll the whole thing out in March 2014 to give them the comfort zone they need to have everyone they normally need and use to execute tours lined up to properly plan and execute the thing over the next months. Again, that is just my personal interpretation of what I've heard, put it all together and that's what I take away.

Thanks. Perhaps I did confuse your comment about Bono setting the tracklisting with another poster.

Your analysis as to why it is delayed fits in with my hunch that this may have been more of an administrative decision and perhaps some late track tweaking than anything else. Again, that was just a hunch. The scheduling fiasco with "Pop"/Pop Mart probably left a scar deep enough that the band wishes to build in a more than adequate time buffer from touching up the album to a tour roll out.

Thanks. Perhaps I did confuse your comment about Bono setting the tracklisting with another poster.

Your analysis as to why it is delayed fits in with my hunch that this may have been more of an administrative decision and perhaps some late track tweaking than anything else. Again, that was just a hunch. The scheduling fiasco with "Pop"/Pop Mart probably left a scar deep enough that the band wishes to build in a more than adequate time buffer from touching up the album to a tour roll out.

There probably are a few artistic/strategic reasons at play too..maybe they possibly also contemplate the release of an album, maybe a bit unsure of public reaction, and then having to watch it stew for 4-5 months before hitting the road. That would seem like an agonizing eternity if you looked at it like that. Maybe their idea is get a single out (early Feb?), get the album out March, and bam hit the road and play the hell out of the songs, augment any possible deficiences (in their minds) in the final product with rock solid performances of the tracks, which they've used that same 4-5 months to perfect in rehearsals. They could even tweak up till much later, based on those rehearsals.

Like, maybe don't even give the public that long period of time to marinate over it, review it, etc. Just hit em hard and fast.

Just hypothesizing :wink:

If this is an ambitious album a la "Pop", "Achtung Baby", etc., they may feel it necessary to maximize rehearsal time. Afterall, it's easier to play "Magnificent" live than say "Mofo", for example. If this were a stripped down album, maybe they'd feel more at ease touring sooner than later, and yeah, I don't know if they wanna leave a significant gap between the album release and a tour.

If the album comes out in March and a tour straight after, that would mean the tour will be announced and tickets go on sale months BEFORE the album comes out. Does this normally happen with ither artists? Certainly doesn't with U2.

Everyone starts to look like Bono if you drink enough WINK WINK

lol

The more you drink, the more I look like him.

:wink:

Thanks for the update g, kinda confirms what I have been surmising lately.

If the album comes out in March and a tour straight after, that would mean the tour will be announced and tickets go on sale months BEFORE the album comes out. Does this normally happen with ither artists? Certainly doesn't with U2.

U2 have always been pretty rigid about this, but many other bands put tickets onsale before the album's release. I'm pretty sure U2 did this for Popmart out of necessity, but I don't think any other time since Joshua Tree when the major tours started. Some bands will sell tickets around the time of the first single. Like I said before, U2 do not need the help of a new album to sell tickets. If they're just going to sit on the album until March, they have plenty of time to rehearse now.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement that nothing is happening this year. The entire month of August has come and gone without one grain of concrete info.

There probably are a few artistic/strategic reasons at play too..maybe they possibly also contemplate the release of an album, maybe a bit unsure of public reaction, and then having to watch it stew for 4-5 months before hitting the road. That would seem like an agonizing eternity if you looked at it like that. Maybe their idea is get a single out (early Feb?), get the album out March, and bam hit the road and play the hell out of the songs, augment any possible deficiences (in their minds) in the final product with rock solid performances of the tracks, which they've used that same 4-5 months to perfect in rehearsals. They could even tweak up till much later, based on those rehearsals.

Like, maybe don't even give the public that long period of time to marinate over it, review it, etc. Just hit em hard and fast.

Just hypothesizing :wink:

This would be pathetic. I'd lose a lot of respect for the band if this were the case. So cowardly.

Also totally lame, sealing their fate as a dinosaur act.

There's always the lingering possibility they'll just say "fuck it" for a spring release and all the hassles that entails, and delay until fall 14. Isn't that a merry thought :crack:

That very same situation just occurred worth Pearl Jam. Their tour will actually stay before the new album drops.

Rush did the same with their last record, which may prompt U2 to follow suit. U2 has always followed Rush trends.

7.jpg

bonomulletmickiss.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom