New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're honest, you'll realize that this statement by an anonymous "representative of the band"--basically saying that the tour is in flux and the album is still on track for 2014 (not summer, not fall but just... 2014) is actually a corroboration of the Billboard story. Of course no band is going to officially say "We have postponed the album and tour." That's what an industry publication like Billboard is for!

I do believe a representative of the band gave The Guardian a quote that represents his or her best understanding of the current situation.

I also believe Billboard's report is solid, based on their contacts within Interscope.

...And none of this has ANY bearing on when the album will come out. It isn't finished, and saying "it's still on track for 2014" isn't any more encouraging than just pushing it to 2015.

The bottom line is Billboard took whatever info they were given by someone an extra degree or two or even more away from the band and may have even extrapolated it wrongly into the album also, when in fact their original source may have been in fact talking about the tour (as others have concluded).

The band spokesperson is relaying information from a closer perspective, if they are truly a band spokesperson they are being given the info by the band, specifically about the album's progress.

It's not the same, and one is more credible and actually makes more logical sense anyways, but whatever.

:lol: I'm not sure you're the one who should be questioning someone's honesty.

You scoffed at anyone questioning the Billboard article, but now you're trying to raise doubt about the Guardian piece.

Sorry, I should have said "Honest with yourself." I wasn't trying to question anyone's honesty, per se. I was primarily thinking of those living in denial who believe that the album is still on track for 2014 with a tour in the summer.

I think the Billboard story and the Guardian article are essentially saying the same thing, and are both based on solid sources (but again, a "band spokesman" who remains anonymous?). Maybe the album will be done in time for fall, maybe not until next year. Only U2 has control of that.

Can't we all at least agree that the post-Super Bowl time-frame of an album and tour this year are now obsolete? :)

:lol: I'm not sure you're the one who should be questioning someone's honesty.

You scoffed at anyone questioning the Billboard article, but now you're trying to raise doubt about the Guardian piece.

:applaud:

As I wrote before, I always thought that the release would be this coming fall once U2 missed fall of 2013.

If one recalls, the album was to be released last autumn. It wasn't until October, when we were already in the 4th quarter, that the date shifted to 2014.

This schedule (fall release) still means a very busy summer for Edge (finalizing the album, getting the first single ready, pictures, names, track order, working on the tour design, etc.). Nothing truly changed from many recent comments - other than the rumors of a summer release ending.

Spokespersons are always unnamed, aren't they, except for people like the White House press secretary? "Spokesperson" pretty much means "it doesn't matter who the fuck they are because they are speaking as mouthpiece for the band, not as themselves."

Insofar as a)they are still working on the album and b)no concrete release schedule has yet been decided, I'd say Billboard was a tad more reliable than a PR lackey who is on the band's wage bill. In any case, just a few weeks ago, a Fall 2014 release was being considered as a massive let-down by fan circles. Now, Fall 2014 is being viewed as news worth celebrating. This has actually turned out pretty well for U2 :cute:

Sorry, I should have said "Honest with yourself." I wasn't trying to question anyone's honesty, per se. I was primarily thinking of those living in denial who believe that the album is still on track for 2014 with a tour in the summer.

I think the Billboard story and the Guardian article are essentially saying the same thing, and are both based on solid sources (but again, a "band spokesman" who remains anonymous?). Maybe the album will be done in time for fall, maybe not until next year. Only U2 has control of that.

Can't we all at least agree that the post-Super Bowl time-frame of an album and tour this year are now obsolete? :)

I think you're arguing with a ghost, I haven't seen anyone claim they still think the tour is on for this year.

How many bands' spokespeople do you know by name? I'm not sure why you're harping on that, it's how it's done.

Anonymous source who doesn't fit your argument = untrustworthy rubbish, bono told my second cousin last week that the album was almost done

Anonymous source who does fit your side of the story = totally true, I told you so, neener neener neener. I can't believe you guys fell for that billboard story. Gullible assholes.

Album in 2014 is not essentially the same as no album until 2015. The band is still on track does not equal a band delaying an album.

A band's spokesperson directly replied to the Billboard story. His statment is consistent with what we've been hearing from the band. (trying for summer 2014)

Yeah nothing further to add morgan's point has been pretty much deconstructed.

Noone is claiming tour in summer anymore. But clearly a band spokesperson is saying album in 2014.

Whether or not you want to believe a band spokesperson should be closer to the info than a record label rep is as irrelevant as you repeatedly pointing to the anonymity of the person.

I stand by my rage gifs from Friday.

But only because they were so fun to post. :wink:

Now I feel like lying down with a cold compress on my forehead.

Anonymous source who doesn't fit your argument = untrustworthy rubbish, bono told my second cousin last week that the album was almost done

Anonymous source who does fit your side of the story = totally true, I told you so, neener neener neener. I can't believe you guys fell for that billboard story. Gullible assholes.

:heart:

Holy SHIT! I just woke up from dreaming that there was an article in The GUARDIAN that the band had dispelled the 2015 rumor. Wow! Shit like this never happens to me haaha.

Man, tonight I hope I dream they've dropped a surprise release tomorrow.

Yeah nothing further to add morgan's point has been pretty much deconstructed.

Noone is claiming tour in summer anymore. But clearly a band spokesperson is saying album in 2014.

Whether or not you want to believe a band spokesperson should be closer to the info than a record label rep is as irrelevant as you repeatedly pointing to the anonymity of the person.

See Nick66's post above. He stated it much more eloquently than me. The Billboard and Guardian stories are essentially the same, and essentially meaningless since the album isn't done. If you want to hang your hopes on 2014 based on this, great! I certainly hope you're right.

"Neener neener neener" has my vote for post of the day.

Check that: has my vote for post of the day directly after "Album Still On for 2014"

It sort of reminds me of how the U.S. President nominates justices to the U.S. Supreme Court. They will float the name out there to test the waters, if the shit doesn't blow up in their face (such as, just say - John Roberts), they will proceed and later actually nominate the person. However if the shit does blow up in their face (Harriet Miers, really?) then they can 'rescind' the nomination even though they never even nominated the person.

"She was never the nominee". Yeah, right. But the people that have a vested interest in trying to make that mistake appear as if it wasn't a mistake at all - will be able to do it. Well, at least w/r/t people that don't know any better.

Politics/Public Relations 101.

See Nick66's post above. He stated it much more eloquently than me. The Billboard and Guardian stories are essentially the same, and essentially meaningless since the album isn't done. If you want to hang your hopes on 2014 based on this, great! I certainly hope you're right.

I can see all the posts in the forum unless I'm particularly ignoring someone. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm taking this story, quoting a band spokesperson, weighing it along with the totality of information I've read from both the band and others and info received privately, and saying that all told the info adds up to, and makes more logical sense than, one single article stating 2015. One. Vaguely quoting a record label rep as a source.

I'm hardly hanging my hat solely on The Guardian story.

If other sources close to the band come out publicly (or privately ;)) and confirm 2015, well then obviously my opinion will change.

the simplest explanation is usually correct.

the album was pushed from 2013 into early 2014 for a variety of factors, one of which was not being done.

after the Super Bowl/GG/Oscars, they sat down to finish and have it out by the spring/summer with a tour in the summer/fall. they had all lost weight, got their hair did, botoxed-up, and were looking presentable.

they probably started to feel rushed, especially with the tour. and they probably sat and listened to the DM stuff and had a similar reaction to when they listened to the 2003 material -- it's good, but it doesn't quite sound like U2. hence, more time to make it "feel" more like a U2 record. so if you're going to do that, might as well push to the fall and then have 2015 wide open for touring and a follow-up album. (ha!) why rush to meet a 2 or 3Q 2014 when a 4Q 2014 makes worlds more sense. take your time and get it right. there is no rush, especially since North Americans were still at 360 concerns 2.5 years ago. follow the spectacularly successful Behind/Bomb schedules.

i think it's as simple as that.

Spokespersons are always unnamed, aren't they, except for people like the White House press secretary? "Spokesperson" pretty much means "it doesn't matter who the fuck they are because they are speaking as mouthpiece for the band, not as themselves."

Well...yeah. But we can always go to "sources close to the band"/Interscope suits instead.

They could both be right, ya know...

The band may very well still think they're going to get this thing out in 2014.

And interscope may look at the continued delays and now apparent rift with Danger Mouse and think that there isn't a chance in hell they'll be done.

Heck... Interscope may have even leaked that story out to try and light a fire under their asses. They can't be overly thrilled by all of these continued push backs.

I can see all the posts in the forum unless I'm particularly ignoring someone. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm taking this story, quoting a band spokesperson, weighing it along with the totality of information I've read from both the band and others and info received privately, and saying that all told the info adds up to, and makes more logical sense than, one single article stating 2015. One. Vaguely quoting a record label rep as a source.

I'm hardly hanging my hat solely on The Guardian story.

If other sources close to the band come out publicly (or privately ;)) and confirm 2015, well then obviously my opinion will change.

Just to be fair, there are "multiple sources," including at Interscope and LiveNation. Billboard approached this as a news story, not as "positive spin." I know that doesn't carry much weight with anyone, though, but let's at least concede that this isn't just a case of Jimmy the Interscope Intern trying to create a buzz.

Billboard has confirmed with multiple sources, however, that the album has now been pushed back until 2015, with the band recently scheduling additional sessions with producers Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth. (Danger Mouse remains onboard as the project's central producer.)

Billboard has learned that a tour initially on track for a mid-March announcement and September start date, booked by Live Nation's Global Touring division, will now begin in summer 2015.

All this is just beautiful. It is in fact fantastic. It's brilliant. I love it.

I'm ignoring (no, wrong, I am enjoying) the shit and getting ready. Can't wait.

:happydance:

Could it be 2015? Sure. I've no clue. It's still brilliant...

They could both be right, ya know...

The band may very well still think they're going to get this thing out in 2014.

And interscope may look at the continued delays and now apparent rift with Danger Mouse and think that there isn't a chance in hell they'll be done.

Heck... Interscope may have even leaked that story out to try and light a fire under their asses. They can't be overly thrilled by all of these continued push backs.

:up:

Mezzanine_458.jpg.fit.344x192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom